“I didn't want to leave...”

Adventure Queenstown Hostel
Sydney, Australia
“I didn't want to leave...”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I can honestly not give this place a high enough recommendation. It was brilliant, and the staff and atmosphere made my stay in Queenstown one of the best holidays of my life. From the moment I walked in, I was welcomed by chilled out, friendly staff who introduced me to everyone in the common room and the kitchen as I was given a one on one tour of the whole place. Within 10 minutes I'd made friends from three different countries, been invited out in a big group for that night, and been given realistic advice on what to expect on all the attractions that Queenstown has to offer. I wish I'd never left!

Location: Find me a hostel in a more convenient location and I'll jump naked into the Shotover river. Located right next to the main bus stop, and on top of Subway, Adventure commands two floors in the best location in town. Although it's central, through some twist of devilry they've managed to avoid being within 50m of any of the clubs, so at night it's relatively quiet. Communal balconies on both floors are perfect for eating, reading or taking in the view. There is a supermarket 2 minutes walk away, a Subway/KFC/McDonalds within 50 metres and - most importantly - multiple bottle shops within a few minutes walk. World Bar is also just around the corner. There are ATMs from ASB and Westpac within 50m. Perfect.

Staff: I was so impressed with my treatment that I asked if I could come back in November and work/live in the hostel. The staff were so chilled out and friendly that on my final day some of them came and played Frisbee golf with us in the park. They'll sort out all your activities for you and give you honest advice about what's good value, where to shop, where to drink etc. Genuinely nice, down to earth people.

Room: I stayed in a 3-bed private room with an ensuite (cue the groans) with two friends, so some of you may think that I didn't experience the true hostel experience of being thrown in an 8-bed room with a group of strangers. If you get the chance, and are willing to pay a few extra $ per night, I'd recommend this room. There was a massive King/Queen (not sure) bed and a bunk bed, as well as our own private balcony. We had a couch and a widescreen TV, as well as a kettle and a really nice bathroom (better than my one at home). In fact, even the beds were better than my one at home. Damn. Maybe I will legitimately move to Queenstown. You are given towels, and your bed is made for you before you turn up.

Bathrooms: All bathrooms (ensuite and communal) were really nice, with nice stone tiles and MY GOD the showers were good, especially after canyoning. They were clean, and there were enough that nobody was ever waiting to use the shower. Really, really nice.

Freebies: For a deposit, you can borrow a bike and helmet for free from the hostel. Like, wow. The trust there is phenomenal. They also lend out iPads (for free) and there is free WiFi in every room of the hostel.

Atmosphere: This is the only part where I (slightly) veer away from my all out love affair with this hostel. I am 19, so my main purpose was to have a good time - all the time. And I did. Between 8pm-11pm though, you might have trouble finding a quiet communal spot to read and chill out. It's worth keeping in mind that for the most part whilst I was there, Adventure attracted a younger crowd. An older lady (maybe 50-60) was bunking in my friends room, and she chose to read in bed rather than sit in the common room at night. It's not raucous, it's not noisy - what I'm trying to say is that there is always something going on. Be it a Mario Kart tournament on Thursdays, or BBQ night on Wednesdays, the communal rooms are always being used to socialise and prepare for the night out ahead. Absolutely brilliant if you're under 30, exactly what you want. But if you're looking for a quiet corner to read your book, your bed might be the best bet.

Tips: If ordering from FergBurger (1 minute walk away) always call up and order over the phone. It saved us about 30m of waiting in line!

Overall an amazing experience. I've made friends for life and honestly cannot think of a way that they can improve the hostel.

Absolutely. The. Best.

Stayed February 18th - February 21st 2013

Room Tip: Thoroughly recommend the 3-bed Private Ensuite. Brilliance. If you're travelling alone, I'd...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jacksilverdee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gothenburg
Reviewed February 26, 2013

High exceptions due to the reviews... Welcomed by a guy in the reception who was more like a robot when he showed me around guess he has done it to many times... They have some smart gadgets at the hostel, you're own contact where you can charge you're phone, and a small basket hanging at the wall next to your bed, small things but gold worth, location is great, kitchen a bit to small, free Internet ( 3 computers ), good hostel but not as good as the reviews tell you..

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jocke R
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

hands down best hostel in nz! no wonder they have so many awards! great rooms, beds are soooo comfy. the owners are fab and cooked us sunday dinner one night! everyone was friendly met some fab people and loved writing on the wall! Would stay here again if I get a chance to come back!
Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauraP1989
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

AQ is by far the best hostel I've ever stayed in! The staff were fantastic: most hostels just give you a key and point the direction to your dorm and that's it. But not here! They took the time out to give you a full hostel tour, showed us all what free things are available and finally took us to our dorm itself. Shona's room has a modern and clean en suite and a beautiful view of Lake Wanaka from the room! With all the free international calls, Ipads and Computer use with internet access, clean towels and vanities (hair dryer, hair straightener, deodorant, nail polish and moisturizer etc), a spacious kitchen and outdoor lounge area, what more could you want in a hostel?
If you're looking for a hostel to stay in in Queenstown, look no further than AQ! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eunice L
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Best hostel I've had the pleasure of staying in. Ever.

Amenities: great kitchen with multiple assigned fridges, free bikes, free wifi, free towels, free coffee/tea, free lockers and storage for trampers.

Rooms: basic dorms with solid bunk beds that didn't squeak, name tags on bed, fresh comfy linen and solid mattresses, brand new beautiful showers.

Staff here were considerate and helpful, everyone gets a full tour. They even let me shower here after completing the routeburn.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ekatherin
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The AQ hostel is a gem within overpriced Queenstown. We checked-in 3 times around our hiking and campervan trips and were impressed by the helpful staff, the happy atmosphere, the central location and the excellent value of the hostel. We stayed in en-suite rooms which were comfortable and very well-equipped. The airport bus stops a few metres from AQ, which is only five minutes walk from the lake. Free international calls are offered and available if you can get your hands on the phone! Book early!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Northern_fellwalker
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed February 11, 2013

It was seriously the best hostel i ever stayed in, everything was absolutely high standard, rooms were clean and nice - modern, clean bathrooms with hot water whenever you want (not the case everywhere), free Wifi for mobiles and computers, they have an amazing locker room with the opportunity to charge your camera/phone etc. in every locker. Free bikes to rent, huge tv lounge.
But what made this hostel special was the super enthusiastic staff, the owner, who is a traveller himself, and just the kind of people who stayed there, really relaxed, average age id say 5 years older than in other more party oriented places. Nonetheless we had great time having a beer or two on the two big balconies, or enjoying one of the yummie barbecues made by the owner himself. Location is absolutely central, staff organizes every activity you want to do in queenstown area.

I will even rearrange my trip through nz just to drop by there again in a few weeks.

Room Tip: I stayed in 3 different rooms during my time in Queenstown, and i cant recommend one, because there...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo