“Great stay in a great B&B in a great scenery”

Bearsden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 43 Queenstown B&B and Inns
Starnberg
“Great stay in a great B&B in a great scenery”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the Bearsden B&B very much. Margie and Ned did everything to make this a great stay for us. We staid four nights at Bearsden and enjoyed every day of it. Both rooms offered are great. We stayed at the Premiere Room which is very comfortable, quite and clean. Nice bathroom, good bed and a very nice view to the lovely garden.

The Breakfast was outstanding! We were able to use all amenities of the B&B. The spa pool is perfect after a active day. The garden is great to sit in while sunshine and last but not least the lounge with its oven is great for a calm and relaxing evening.

Margie and Ned a perfect hosts who were always supportive and had great advice for interesting walks or other activities nearby. Finally we should not forget to mention Bruno their Labrador. What a nice dog :-)!

If we come back to the Queenstown / Arrowtown area we will definitely come back to Bearsden!

Room Tip: Both rooms are great. We staid at the Premiere Room and can recommend it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I am an avid photographer and much of the reason I travel is to both see the world and photograph it. I booked this B&B at the last minute based on the great reviews on TripAdvisor having thought most of my trip would occur in the North Island. This property is owned by a delightful couple, Margie and Ned, both of whom share the perfect balance between being conversational and helpful but never intrusive.They know the South Island inside and out! When I arrived, both of them went out of their way to help me sort out and prioritize the many sightseeing options in the South. Having embarked on this master plan, my itinerary took a turn for the worst when I got in a car accident. I was unexpectedly again in Queenstown...without a car. Margie rescued me from the airport where I ended up going to sort out the matter. She was so comforting and understanding. Even though it was not my expectation, she allowed me to join her and Ned for dinner and helped me recraft a plan to rescue the last few days of my trip. I cannot say enough good things about the people and the property. Even amid the unexpected stress, I felt totally relieved to be staying with them. Perhaps it was the fantastic breakfasts (freshly juiced fruit, gourmet omelettes, french toast, french pressed coffee) or the jacuzzi or the comfortable room or the beautiful night's sky or the simple kindness of strangers I now consider friends. If you come to Queenstown, your trip will not be complete unless you stay with Margie and Ned. I can't wait to return myself!

Room Tip: There are only two rooms and you can't go wrong with either of them.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Cleo P
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Even having read all the reviews, this place wildly surpassed my expectations. Bearsden is in a beautiful, serene location, with back-porch views onto the most incredible hill views, and the rooms are comfortable and neat. There's a hot tub where nights can be spent relaxing and looking at the stars, and there are trails nearby for morning or evening walks. The breakfast was absolutely delicious, and Margie's banana bread hit the spot after long days of hiking. But the best part was talking with Margie and Ned, two of the most kind, down-to-earth people I've met anywhere. They gave us great recommendations for eating and hiking, and helped us learn about the birds in the area at breakfast. They were unfailingly thoughtful but also just genuinely joyful people. We left Bearsden feeling relaxed and happy, contented with our stay in Queenstown but moreso excited to have found such a spot of paradise in the world.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ana P
Nahariya
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We arrived at Bearsden Bed and Breakfast at the end of the day. Margie received us with two pieces of fresh baked cake and a big smile. The room was big and very comfortable, Margie helped us with our evening plans and with the day after journey .The garden and the views were wonderful and breakfast was prepared with free range eggs from the her hens. We also had some strawberries from the garden!!! Strongly recommend to every traveler in the region.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
BearsdenBNB, Owner at Bearsden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Hi Sheila
Thank you so much for this lovely review. It may sound like I am repeating myself, but we really do appreciate the time that our guests put into writing a review.
It was lovely to meet you both and thank you also for your lovely gift which I have already hung in our house.
All the best and perhaps we will see you both again.
Kind regards............Margie
Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2012

The main reason I am writing this review is that when I read reviews, I look for a theme that gets repeated by vacationers over time. Thus, when you read about the hospitality of the hosts, the beauty of the location, the comfort of the bed and quality of the linens, the unique and tasteful decor, the plethora of amenities, the proximity to a myriad of outdoor adventures, the delish breakfast (and that juice, oh my, sooo yummy!), well, rest assured, we are all seeing the same thing: this B and B is a breath of fresh air not a ten-minute drive from the hustle and bustle of Queenstown. In addition, I like the privacy of the set-up in that you have your own entrance, deck area, lounge w/fireplace etc. while still being able to experience a connection with the host-owners. It does not get any better than this, that's for certain!

Room Tip: There are two rooms, one is adjacent to the hot tub, the other is several feet away from the hot tub...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GRG
Hi you 2
Good to hear you made it back to Canada safe and sound. Thank you for your lovely review. Once again we appreciate the time it takes travellers to post reviews especially so soon after their return home when they surely have so many other priorities.
We would love to see you both again and hope that you may make it back this way.
Thanks again...............Margie
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 27, 2012

As Kiwis it is great to know that places like Bearsden exist in our own country not only for us to enjoy but perhaps more importantly to give overseas visitors a fantastic New Zealand experience. Margie and Ned were very welcoming and extremely knowledgeable about the beautiful area in which they live. The bedroom and living area were both comfortable and stylish and the decks, garden and spa pool meant there was room to spread out. The location is quiet and very handy to the skifields (you can see the Coronet Peak ski runs from the bedroom), wineries and all the other many attractions offered by Arrowtown and Queenstown.
The breakfasts were delicious, Neds french toast was ooh la la, closely followed by Margies omelette. So go enjoy a little slice of Kiwi heaven and give Bruno a pat from us!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We know how busy people are when they get back from travelling so we really appreicate reviews and it is great to get some from our fellow Kiwis.
We would certainly love to see more Kiwi's visit us and the skiing is great in winter with Coronet Peak just 20 minutes drive from home (providing the roads are clear).
Hopefully Ned and I will see you again this year. All the best. Margie
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I spent new years eve and 2 additional nights at this beautiful property. It was the perfect place to end a day full of activity, with amazing views and extremely comfortable living areas. Its a lovely get-away from the crowds in Queenstown and also close to Arrowtown, which has great places to eat. Thanks Ned and Margi for being great hosts and the room upgrade. We loved every minute of our stay with you and hugely appreciate the inconvenience we put you through with our early morning starts. Breakfast was yum and we are looking forward to coming back to your warm hospitality!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SajdaHussain
BearsdenBNB, Owner at Bearsden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Hi you 2
Nice to hear from you and to get your lovely review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. It wasn't a problem getting up early to get you breakfast. Gives us an early start to the day too. Ned and I would love to see you both again here and we would also love to visit your homeland too so please stay in touch. All the best. Margie