“Friendly, efficient service and awesome sights”
Review of Glenorchy Air

$409.25*
Milford Sound Fly Encounter Cruise and Fly Experience
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Glenorchy Air flies from Queenstown airport and everyone is guaranteed a window seat. We are a family business which is owned and operated by Janet and Robert Rutherford. We have been operating for 25 years. We fly fixed wing aircraft in which everyone has window seat for unimpeded views. These include fly-cruise-fly to Milford Sound, as well as overflight, and coach options into and out of Milford Sound. Glenorchy Air also runs regular flights to the Mount Cook region, to Mount Aspiring, to Queenstown's local glaciers, to Stewart Island, to Otago's East Coast and to Fiordlands Doubtful Sound. As we worked on the "Lord of the Rings" movies we have a unique insight into movie locations with various flightseeing options and personalised tours on offer.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Today my wife and I went on a fly/cruise/fly trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound with Glenorchy Air. The flight to Milford Sound was an experience never to be forgotten and the commentary from our excellent pilot (MacKenzie) was most informative. Glenorchy Air informed us there was a high probability that the weather would close in and we would have to take the coach back, but a senior pilot, Ray, told us he would wait as long as the weather would safely allow. After a wonderful cruise on Milford Sound, we were delighted to find that Ray was waiting for us and had arranged one of the coaches to drive us to the airport. We had another remarkable flight back to Queenstown following a more southerly, but equally scenic, route and were excellently informed and entertained by Ray. Today was a amazing experience and we thank Glenorchy Air for their professional and friendly service. Most highly recommended

Glenorchy, Front Office Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

What a great review! As you know the weather plays such a huge part in our line of business, I am so pleased we were able to offer you the flight back to Queenstown and that we were able to take a different route allowing you to see even more of the amazing scenery. I have passed on your comments to the pilots and both Mackenzie and Ray thank you for your kind words.

There are newer reviews for Glenorchy Air

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Greg and I had a great flight to Milford Sound with our friendly and expert pilot Mackenzie in early March. Being in the small Cessna 206 was an exciting way to see so much of the beautiful area. The company picked us up from our hotel too. We took lots of great pictures and received a souvenir DVD. Hard to spend this much money on a one-hour activity (price was competitive; all these flight tours are pricey), but I have no regrets looking back. It was a real highlight of our trip to New Zealand.

Many thanks for your comments on your recent trip with us. We are so glad you had such a memorable experience. You mention the small aircraft being an exciting way to see so much of the area, it is worth me mentioning that all of our passengers get a window seat with unimpaired views of the spectacular scenery. Thanks again for your kind review.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I spoke Ray when I landed in Queenstown for a flight into the glacier. My objective was to photograph the beautiful topography I had seen the the Lord of The Rings movie. He was careful to make sure the clouds had cleared and suggested an late afternoon flight. He was not only a great pilot but was knowledgable about the spectacular scenery we flew over. My photos turned out to be some of the best I have taken. One of the best trips I have ever flown!
Ray rules!!

Glenorchy, Front Office Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. As well as flying to Milford Sound we also do Lord of the Rings location tours. We were fortunate enough to fly cast and crew so have great inside knowledge. Thank you for choosing Glenorchy Air.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

From beginning to end, it was a fabulous adventure. Service was excellent. The 8 seater plane was thrilling to fly in, and one lucky passenger got to co-pilot in the front seat ( my hubby was that person on our flight over, and was stoked). Our pilot was amazing! His name was Hayden. He made sure that all of us were comfortable and well informed. His professionalism was faultless, yet he still managed to be warm and friendly, striking the perfect balance. we gladly put our lives in his hands. We were the first flight of the day, and that gave us the advantage of arriving before the tourist coaches, which were carrying hundreds of sightseeers. Our luxury boat cruise was sparsly populated, and we enjoyed excellent views up close to the beautiful waterfalls and vegetation and seals. Our flight back included spectacular scenery over glaciers and lakes.

Glenorchy, Front Office Manager at Glenorchy Air, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Glenorchy Air, we are so pleased that you had a wonderful experience. Hayden thanks you for your kind comments. You are right that one of the many advantages of going on the early flight is that you avoid the midday crowds, you also get a complimentary breakfast on board the cruise! Thanks again.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have spent a lot of time visiting the Fiordland region, whether it be tramping or kayaking. I always dreamed of what it would be like to view it from the air, and a couple of days ago that dream was finally realised, and it was incredible! I was blown away by how amazing the experience was. To see the places that I have visited on land and water over the years, from the vantage point of a little aircraft took my breath away. My pilot Mackenzie flew the plane like a champ and added a lot to the experience by pointing out landmarks that I just didn't recognize from that angle. Overall an incredible experience that I will recommend to everyone. Thanks Glenorchy Air!!

We are delighted to hear that you had such a memorable experience with us. Mackenzie thanks you for your comments. Viewing Milford sound from above is the best way to put it all in perspective, especially if you have spent a lot of time in the region. Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review.