“Worth every cent!”

$326.18*
4-Hour Milford Sound Cruise and Fly Experience
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Glenorchy Air flies from Queenstown airport and everyone is guaranteed a window seat. We are a family business which is owned and operated by Janet and Robert Rutherford. We have been operating for 25 years. We fly fixed wing aircraft in which everyone has window seat for unimpeded views. These include fly-cruise-fly to Milford Sound, as well as overflight, and coach options into and out of Milford Sound. Glenorchy Air also runs regular flights to the Mount Cook region, to Mount Aspiring, to Queenstown's local glaciers, to Stewart Island, to Otago's East Coast and to Fiordlands Doubtful Sound. As we worked on the "Lord of the Rings" movies we have a unique insight into movie locations with various flightseeing options and personalised tours on offer.
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was unsure about taking a flight over to Milford Sound as it was double the price of the bus trip, but I am so glad I did! It was an amazing way to see the southern alps and the flight into Milford was absolutely stunning. The ONLY way to see this part of the country. Definitely a must do. Once in a life time experience not to be missed.

glenorchyAir, Owner at Glenorchy Air, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thanks for your review. As you say, flying is the only way to see the Southern Alps. Superb scenery of mountains, lakes,glaciers and fiords.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Wanted to see Milford Sound but was not too sure about the long coach trip and my high probability of getting car sick on long windy roads. Read about the flights and thought this may be the best way to go. My husband and I usually do not spend so much on one activity but felt this was a chance of a lifetime. It was money well spent! Ray, our pilot, was excellent and any thought of jitters was quickly lost once we took off. The flight was incredibly smooth. One of the reasons we choose Glenorchy air is that we read that everyone gets a window seat. I think that is critical feature and would not want to go without having that bird's eye view. The views were incredible as we flew over and in between the snow capped peaks. The only downside? Made the Milford Sound cruise not as spectacular as I thought because of the mind blowing scenery on the flight. Still not convinced? One note: book early in your trip as weather and clouds may cause delays and change of days and times and you wouldn't want to miss it.

Ray thanks you for your kind remarks. As you say. all our flights are weather dependent so it is always best to book for the first full day you are staying here. We feel that it is vital that everyone has a large window beside their seat. We operate SCENIC flights after all!
We are delighted that you enjoyed this tour.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Since moving to New Zealand six years ago, I've been waiting to visit Milford. The thought of going by coach did not appeal at all, so looked to TripAdvisor for advice on flights. Well Glenorchy Air, you certainly live up to the high rating you have here!!!

Of all the travel experiences I've had, this has to be the best ever. There aren't enought words to describe the breathtaking views over the Southern Alps towards Milford Sounds. Actually I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all!! But Glenorchy Air were superb.

Mackenzie, our pilot, was so knowledgeable, pointing out mountains, blue blue lakes, glaciers, while all the time keeping us on a steady course to Milford Fjord and back. He was also a lovely Kiwi bloke!

We flew on a 4-seater plane and it was so personal. My partner and I the only passengers. Awesome.

Highly highly recommend. Definitely worth paying that bit extra!!

Special thanks to Janet who picked us up for our flight, and Robert for dropping us off!

We all thank you for your great review of our service. I hope it doesn't take you another 6 years before you return to the Southern Lakes area! We fly over a world class heritage area and we hope to give everyone who travels with us a world class experience.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

On a recent quick trip to Queenstown I decided to take the opportunity to fly over to Milford Sound, as the thought of a long coach trip was not too enthralling.
Well I'm glad I did. It was the most amazing experience I've ever had. If you feel apprehensive of flying (like me), you have nothing to fear except the ride of your life. The care and expertise of the pilot Robert will have you at ease. We flew up so close to the mountains and the scenery will leave you enraptured, and was still buzzing even 2 hours after the flight.

Robert thanks you for your kind review. He must be the most experienced pilot in Queenstown now who flies to Milford Sound. The scenery is really amazing and we enjoy showing it to our clients. Pleased that you enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Myself and my friend used this service as transportation to the coastal end of the Hollyford Track and were asolutely delighted with the service as an attraction in its own right. Our pilot, Ray, made sure that we were confident, comfortable and extremely well informed. He flew btewwn the mountains to give us an intimate experience and informed us of every little adjustment in the plane to ensure we felt safe and happy at all times throughout the flight. The scenery is outstanding, breathtaking actually. We were spoilt as it was a pristine winter's day. The landing on the beach was perfect- the smoothest landing I have ever experienced. If you are apprehensive of small craft flying this is the experience for you as it will demystify you fear and leave you wanting more. I cannot rate this service highly enough and I would most definately ask for Ray!!!

glenorchyAir, Owner at Glenorchy Air, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thanks for your review. Flying to Big Bay is my favourite flight. The scenery is so diverse between Queenstown and the West Coast as we fly past Mount Aspiring , seeing the glaciers, then the red hills and then this huge beach.
As you say, the flight is an attraction in itself, and this is what we intend all our scenic flights to be and not just a way of getting from a-b.
Ray was happy with your kind comments and says thanks. He enjoyed flying you both.