“Pretty view”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This restaurant is located in the Rees Hotel and they prepared room service for us 2 nites in a row! The food was delicious and the portion was just right. We tried breakfast our last day in New Zealand. The full breakfast included a chef that could supposedly prepare whatever you wanted, but he couldn't understand our order and the result was awful. I had the continental breakfast and it was very limited in choices. So, if you're staying at the Rees, have a meal there. If you're planning a special trip to this restaurant for a great dinner, don't bother. There are so many restaurants to choose from in Queenstown.

There are newer reviews for True South Dining Room

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The restaurant as part of The Rees Hotel has a surprisingly small dining room with only about 10 tables. We were sat close to the window and had a fantastic view of the lake and mountains. All of the dishes on the menu sounded nice and as with a fine dining establishment portion sizes were small but of excellent quality and delicious. The real let down for us was how long it took to get our entrees. We were offered a complimentary slice of bread with olive oil and an amuse bouche of salmon which was over in one bite. It took one hour from ordering our food to receiving our entree. This is far too long in our view. However the mains and desserts did come out after around 20 minutes from our plates being cleared. I recommend the C.O.D or Central Otago Dessert which was a very decadent chocolate mousse with assorted toppings.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This hotel restaurant is small and is aimed at those looking for a fine dining experience. If you’re fortunate enough to have a table near the windows the view of Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables is picture-postcard stuff. Bookings are encouraged. Whilst most guests were dressed smartly, in keeping with many restaurants in New Zealand which we visited, there is no dress code as such.

On the night we visited, whilst staying at the hotel, it was a full house but by coincidence we got the exact same table as we’d had on our previous visit some years before - it had a view and was near the fire so we scored on both counts!

From table settings, to food presentation and service everything is geared up to make a good impression.

The menu features between six to eight choices for each course - most of which could be described as having a “different twist“ with the use of less obvious ingredients many of which are apparently sourced in the region. Our waitress was able to answer some questions we had about the menu without referring to the chef. The wine list is large and focuses entirely on New Zealand and French wines. We opted for a bottle of Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc.

We were given an Amuse Bouche whilst we waited which was tasty - I managed to get extra since my wife isn’t a fan of salmon which was one of the items featured.

For starters I had Scallops with crispy pig’s head, pumkin miso puree, pickled turnips & nam jim dressing and my wife had soup - pea & mint gazpacho with lemon, ricotta and pine nuts. I was familiar with the scallops (which were the smallest I’ve seen) but had no experience of the other ingredients however these went down well enough. The soup, a definite pea-green colour was apparently enjoyable too.

For mains we both choose Merino lamb served with Toulouse sausage, salt baked beet, olive caramel and salsa verde. The lamb portion was fairly small and neither of us found that we enjoyed the other ingredients to any great extent - the Toulouse sausage in particular was very strongly flavoured and I couldn‘t even finish the portion. A bit disappointing overall.

After a palate cleanser, for dessert I had the Pinot poached pear with hot chocolate dumplings, candied orange and spice ice cream and my wife had Caramel banana, granola, yoghurt, poached fruits and gingerbread ice cream. The chocolate dumplings apart (too dry) we both enjoyed these dishes.

Having finished our wine, to round off the evening my wife had a glass of Misha’s Starlet Sauv Blanc whilst I had a glass of Valli Dolce Vita Riesling dessert wine.

It’s a gamble of sorts trying new dishes (for us) however we understand that the chef , Ben Batterbury, a fellow Brit, was here on our previous visit to the hotel some years ago when we had thoroughly enjoyed every course. This time around we didn’t come away with the same feeling although the dining experience overall was pleasant. Our food bill came to $149/£77, the drinks $80/£41.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Loved the food and nice service here, and the views of the lake are lovely. However, it is a little small as a space for such a big hotel, and it's not always easy to get a table, plus other tables are close by. Don't let it put you off, the food is lovely. Loved the open kitchen.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Breakfast was good, and the Eggs Benedict was the best thing we had. Didn't have dinner there, so I can't comment on that. Rating it a 4 only because we can't say more about it