“Amazing food, great service”

Hikari Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #122 of 266 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: New Zealand's finest Japanese spots for sushi, sashimi and other delicacies. You can find us in NZ cities of Queenstown, Dunedin & Christchurch.
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We went here after seeing the reviews on TA and were not disappointed! This was by far one of the best Japanese meals we've had (and made us sorely disappointed in a highly-rated Japanese restaurant in Christchurch that we had later!).
Our meal began with steaming Miso soup, edamame and some green tea. We ordered the selection of sushi, and the teriyaki chicken noodles. The sushi was fresh and delicious - I asked for it without wasabi (can't stand it) and the waitress joked that she didn't like wasabi either. In fact, I won't even prattle on- the food was simply delicious, and I felt it was reasonably priced. The staff were friendly, and the food came out in decent time (we may have waited a little while for the mains but it was fairly busy and we were quite hungry at the time!) ... I'd definitely recommend this place if you're in Queenstown looking for a meal!

Reviewed December 21, 2011

This is a friendly, dare I say "down-home Japanese, with friendly service, prompt delivery of good food, and a pleasant atmosphere. Wine selection very limted. Saki is good.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Nice place to have Japanese. Friendly staff. Would come back again.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Thought we were hungry, but after having the Hikari Bento Box, we weren't hungry anymore! Made me miss Japan a lot.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

We've been to Hikari a few times in the past 7 months - approx 7 or 8 times. It's simple and authentic tasting Japanese food (even though the owner is Korean). I would've given this place a rave review until my last visit, when I discovered the new improved menu meant new improved prices - in some cases 25% higher than our previous meal less than two weeks before. I understand that Queenstown is a resort and is also seasonal, but surely this degree of price hike is uncalled for? I asked if there was a 'local's discount and was told a resounding 'no!' I guess we'll have to see if Hikari's new prices continue past the RWC - it's a shame as without locals support, places like this wouldn't be able to exist. In the meantime, we have discovered another Japanese eatery whose prices are more affordable and whose quality is unbeatable in this town.