“Loud and dirty”
Review of Deco Backpackers

Deco Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Queenstown
Deco Backpackers
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We've stayed a many backpackers accommodations throughout NZ and this place was by FAR the worst. Not only was it quite run down and basic, but the rambunctious clientele really made for a terrible experience (screaming and drunk teens running all over throughout the night!). We could only take one night of our two night reservations and then went down the road to a much better set up. This is nothing against the staff (who were actually quite lovely), but we'll never stay at Deco again nor recommend it. Avoid it if you can!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KrisChicago

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Kitchen and dining rooms were clean, large and nice. There was plenty of space in the kitchen for several people to be cooking at once. Rooms were spacious with lots of shelving. The bathrooms had lots of toilet stalls and showers, but were so-so in terms of set-up and cleanliness.

There were many strict rules posted on flyers around the grounds. There was free wifi, but only in the kitchen. The kitchen closed at 11:45 and opened around 7. There was very little parking and a strict no guest policy. These rules, however, seem to be the norm in Queenstown. The other hostels we visited also had flyers listing the things you could get kicked out for.

Sheets were not provided (they cost $1 to buy them), though the heating in the rooms was good enough that we didn't need sheets (they provided a bottom cover and pillow with pillow case, just no top cover or comforter).

The location was so-so. It would have been about a 15 minute walk to town.

Overall, the reason why we ended up loving this place was because of the owner. He was a really cool guy and was helpful with picking out activities and making bookies. We enjoyed getting to meet him.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Study Abroad W
Reviewed July 1, 2012

While Deco is an older establishment it has great heating, hot showers and the friendliest and most helpful staff! It's in a great location to access all the major attractions and has a good level of cleanliness. We would highly recommend Deco and we would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: The twin rooms are quite small but the beds are comfortable, heating is excellent and shower facilit...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Horrible customers service, the room was really cold, the heater wasn't working and temperature -1 degrees. Ask for refund and he didn't refund all the money, not even use any facility on the place and no policy saying 24hrs cancellation. Really angry with that place.....don't go there!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snowmannz
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We spent 2 nights there in a double room. The staff were super-friendly and helpful with everything. The commons rooms are high enough for the many visitors the hostel usually have. Have to mention the free wifi as well, as it was quite useful for us as well. Note that you will be able to use it only around common rooms.

The view from the "garden lounge" was just simply amazing. Buy some beer, relax and enjoy the view.

The only negative thing is that the location, as the house is on the top of a hill. The supermarket is 5-10 mins away, so you have to climb the hill every time you go down for shopping in the supermarket or to visit the city center.

There are a lot of beds in the hostel, but the common rooms are spacious enough for everybody.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed here on my first time to Queenstown for 8 nights. Loved the atmosphere of the place the most. Everyone is friendly and the common room is used by everyone in the hostel which makes it easy to make friends and meet new people. The hostel has free wi-fi which although isn't the best will save you a bit of money if you wish to log on with your iphone or ipod. The kitchen has everything you'd expect and has free coffee every morning. I stayed in a double room with my partner and although it was small it was cosy enough for the two of us and had good heating for the cold Queenstown nights. The view from outside the hostel is amazing and offers brilliant opportunities for photos.

The only negative to this hostel would have to be that it is a small walking distance from the town and shops and is located on a hill which may not suit people who have trouble walking. If you don't mind the short walk than this hostel is really very good for what you pay and we would definetly recommend this hostel to others. Even we came back on our second time around.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights with my friends in the triple room. Everything was fine until I decided to extend my stay in dorm room after my friends have checked out. I was waited half an hour for the rude man to come, due to the only left dorm bed was far away(with staircases) & I have a lot of luggage, I explained to him & said I will look for somewhere else in this case.
He then threw the money(key deposit $20 that I paid 2 days ago) on the table, and asked me to leave the property right away.
I am fully understand that the check out time is at 10am, I waited from 9.30am I don't think I deserve such embarrassment because of I refused my stay, it's very unprofessional. People go there due to free internet, but there's not the only one in Queenstown.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends