“Really cozy hostel”

Flaming Kiwi Backpackers
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is a great wee hostel in Queenstown. Unlike others, there is always a kitchen open so it's great to cook whenever you want. It's also kept very clean.

It's just slightly out of town which is ideal because you don't get the all-night noise that central town has, and it's right around the corner from the main supermarket.

A few reviews down talked about the need for new furniture - well, they've upgraded and it's awesome!

It definitely is quite crowded at the end of the day, but it is nice how communal and friendly it is.

The spa and bikes are a great bonus. I really love this hostel!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed in a double room here in early June as a couple on a break from South Island. Overall it was a positive experience and I would definitely recommend the Hostel for others looking for accommodation in Queenstown. There were lots of positives - really friendly staff which is always appreciated; we found the Hostel to be very clean and well maintained with comfy beds. Also there was unlimited free wi-fi which was great and a spa tub which we didn't use. One negative for us was the sheer number of people in the hostel compared to the amount of communal space and facilities. If it is full you won't get a relaxing or chilled out stay and there was a bit of a scrum for sofas, kitchen and bathroom facilities. It seemed to be a really social place for groups and backpackers, many of whom seemed to be long-staying, but we felt a little crowded out as a couple.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I liked this hostel but it doesn't get a five because as another reviewer put it the furniture, fixtures and fittings were generally shabby or uncomfortable.

The owners should spend a bit of money and replace the rubbish furniture in the front room and upgrade some of the kitchen appliances, even with some decent second hand stuff from Trade Me.

Apart from this almost everything here was very good. Most importantly the staff who ran the place. They were friendly and helpful with any questions or queries I had. And the place feels quite homely.

I was in room 4 which was a little bit cramped, but acceptable. It was directly across from one of the bathrooms. The bathrooms were always kept very clean as were the kitchens. Some hooks on the wall for clothes would be good to have in all the bathrooms.

I didn't use the spa so I'm not sure how good that is. They had a few communal areas where you could mix with other backpackers.

It's about a 6 or 7 minutes walk from the main bus drop off points in the centre of town. I would recommend this place and would stay here again in the future. The free wifi was good but as we're talking about New Zealand it was obviously slow (only really fast in the big cities if you are lucky).

Room Tip: Speak nicely to Chris or one of the other managers
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Just like home away from home!! Close to town, close to the supermarket and the friendliest staff I've ever met. Kent, Chris and Adam were the managers, they helped us with suggestions on which places to apply for jobs, what to do in town and traveller tips. I have never been in a hostel with three kitchens!! lockers with power points in them for each person in the room and free UNLIMITED wifi.
FREE BIKE HIRE ASWELL

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2014

The good points about this hostel are that you get free unlimited wifi and the bed linen was cheerful and the pillows were comfortable. On the downside I found the place generally shabby, with uncomfortable, lumpy sofas, and tired dreary decor. I didn't enjoy spending any time there so the free wifi was a bit wasted. I stayed over the weekend and to my dismay one of the guys in my room was sick on the carpet after having too much to drink on Saturday night. It was cleaned up the next morning after I informed one of the girls working there. I can't imagine this happening in some of the nicer hostels I have stayed in, and whilst the staff were friendly, I don't think they had enough of a presence in the hostel or made it clear that this kind of behaviour would be unacceptable. I would not stay here again.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hostel is lovely for a stay in Queenstown. Away from the noisy centre but well within walking distance to shops, bars and the lake. The manager is a great guy and there are night porters for late check-ins and other issues. Free unlimited wifi is a big plus. Two kitchens to choose from, a living area and cabins away from the main building for double rooms. The only reason that this hostel received a 'Very Good' and not an excellent is because the cabins are absolutely freezing! A heater is provided but the middle of the night is close to unbearable. I did see that other cabin had hot water bottles so maybe we could have asked for one. A tip for the future!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Amazing place to stay. Just away from the crazy noise and antics of Queenstown central with pristine clean dorm rooms, kitchens and bathrooms no matter what time of day. Plenty of space in 8 bed dorms so you don't feel like a sardine, and lots of windows for fresh air and light. Wood fire and comfy lounge chairs and big TV. Best backpacker I've ever stayed in. Thanks!