“Major likes!!...Minor dislikes.”

Flaming Kiwi Backpackers
Clyde, New Zealand
“Major likes!!...Minor dislikes.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed two nights and Kent was so obliging and booked me in the perfect dorm for me. Major Likes: Lounge and kitchen open all night. Lots of wardrobe space and locker in the dorm with good lighting, ventilation and heating. Bathroom right outside dorm. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great parking space. Minor dislikes: spa pool requires some attention, however this didn't prevent me from profiting from it, there appeared to be a bit of a leaking problem next to the shower, but I'm not sure as it was soon afterwards cleaned up!

Room Tip: Dorm #4 which has four beds (two bunks) upstairs with the bathroom adjacent - it was perfect for me...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nick L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at Flaming kiwi! The boss, Kent and the staff (Chris & all) are amazing people. Really helpful and genuinely interested in making your stay a good one.
Comfortable common area to watch movies or just relax. Plenty of kitchen space and dining area also made it easy to meet and interact with other travellers - lovely crowd when I was there and I couldn't bear to leave!

There are plenty of lockers and power points in the room and the room is clean and spacious (I stayed in the 10bedded dorm).

The place is abt 5 mins from the buzz but the walk to and from is enjoyable. Super near the supermarket.

All in all, great people, service and facilities. Cheers!

• Stayed August 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Kent and the guys were really helpful. The place is clean with good kitchen facilities and close to town. I left my jacket there and they held it for a month and offered to send it back to me, in the end I arranged to have it picked up.

• Stayed August 2013
Queenstown
Reviewed July 28, 2013

By far one of the best backpackers ive ever been to. And ive been to quite a few! Clean, tidy and quiet, with a very socialble atmosphere and plenty of facilities. Friendly, knowledgable staff, who cater for your needs. Definately a home away from home. And with added bonuses like free internet, bike hire, spa pool and international calls. You would be a fool not to stay here! Its the place to stay whilst in Queenstown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Was very impressed with the hostel in terms of the rooms and staff. There are 'ensuites' for most rooms it seems (we were in the eight room) and they are clean and modern. Kitchen and lounges were great and we had a blast while staying there, with really informative and helpful staff.

Location is also fantastic. Really close by to the bus meeting point and the cheapest ski hire shop in town, which are all in the 'central' part of Queenstown. Also very nearby the local supermarket as well as the Queenstown Hill hiking track.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed here only for one night but it has one of the most laid back atmospheres of any hostel I've stayed in. Free WiFi and lots of kitchens to use. There seems to be a lot of long termers living in the hostel who seem a little distant with new people but it didn't bother me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My first two months in Queenstown have been busy, to say the least. I've stayed in 4 different hostels since arriving here, 2 months ago, and had a very different experience at each one. They've all been positive but in hindsight, I wish I'd never moved on from the first.

The Flaming Kiwi Backpackers is not only professionally run and in an excellent location, it's also the friendliest and most accommodating hostel I've stayed in, in Queenstown and elsewhere. The staff are always cheerful and eager to help and have invaluable local knowledge and massive enthusiasm for the town and its local businesses. I was greeted by the owner on arrival and he wasted no time in showing me around personally and making me feel instantly at home.

You'd expect to pay more for such a well-equipped and well-tended hostel, especially in Queenstown at the height of the ski-season, but it undoubtedly boasts the best value for money in the area. Not only are there several spacious kitchens (with certain cooking necessities kindly provided by the hostel, for all to use) and comfortable lounge areas, but the hostel also provides free wi-fi (the only one to do so in my experience), free access to a hot-tub, and free unlimited calls to landlines in many countries across the globe!

The hostel is kept very tidy and the large team of cleaners work hard every day to keep not only the kitchen and living areas clean, but the bathrooms and bedrooms as well. I stayed in several of the rooms and they were all comfortable, spacious and featured personal lockers with charging ports, wardrobe space and powerful heaters - an absolute godsend in the height of winter!

The location couldn't be more perfect, less than 5 minutes walk to town in one direction and a large supermarket 5 minutes in the other. Again, the staff's local knowledge proved invaluable and many local attractions can be organised and booked at reception.

I really cannot recommend the Flaming Kiwi Backpackers highly enough. I can't think of a single issue I had during my stay and the only reason I'm not staying there now is because they're so popular, it's booked out! Nowhere else has felt more like home since I left home and I shall be back the first chance I get.

Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment! They're all great rooms, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo