“Great hostel with good atmosphere and fantastic staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flaming Kiwi Backpackers

Flaming Kiwi Backpackers
Queenstown
“Great hostel with good atmosphere and fantastic staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed with!
Good comfortable beds, everything is very clean, the staff is very helpful and friendly.
3 big kitchen, a spa!!!!! and free internet!!!!!
I changed hostel in Queenstown after a tip of friends that stayed at this hostel.
I stayed here with my boyfriend for two weeks and we are both very happy
with our stay there.
I recommend this hostel to everyone going to Queenstown!
Thank you Kent, Rosa, Austin, and all you guys 'in the basement' keeping the hostel fun and tidy!!!!

Room Tip: Book in advance for doublerooms!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah_D_NZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Really good hostel/backpacker. Staff and the people were really freindly. The owner of the place is there regularly and the place has a good atmosphere. It's a 5 min walk to the center of the town and you can watch paragliders land in the field adjacent the hostel from their small parking lot. It was quiet at night so I got some decent sleep. This was also my first place to stay in NZ so sleep would've happened anyway. This was a great place to stay and I can't think of anything they could've improved.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

The Hostel feels like one big house which creates a unique experience of being quite lively and party like and also being quiet and relaxing. The blend of long term stayers and short visiters creates a friendly and inviting atmosphere unlike any other hostel i have stayed in and havent met any people that haven't enjoyed their stay here. I highly recommend this place for any one passing through queenstown whether for 1 night or a much longer stay. I will be very sad to leave this place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

I have stayed at The Flaming Kiwi Backpackers now for 3 months. Alot of the people there are long termers so we have a nice little family life like being home away from home. Everyone is so friendly there are so many different characters there but that what makes it interesting I have stayed in a couple of hostels like Base and Southern Laughter with I didn't really like, it is definately the best place to stay in Queenstown if you are staying longterm it has a good party scene but not to crazy all the time.
The living area is cool we can watch DVD's and its open all the time so you can do as you please the beds are comfortable the kitchens are clean and its in a great location to get into the town and Freshchoice. The staff are helpful and friendly.
I absolutely loved it there and I am so sad to leave. Love you guys x

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

Out of all my places I stayed in New Zealand this was my favorite. I ended up staying for a few months... I stayed in a couple other hostels in Queenstown but they didn't have the homey feeling that this one brings. The staff was amazing and there when you needed something. You could create your family away from family with the people that ended up staying there. I would go back in a second and I hold memories from that place which I will cherish forever.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed here with my partner in a double room, it was spotlessly clean and even had its own balcony which looked out to the mountains which was fantastic! we had a bathroom a few feet away which looked really new and clean so we were happy with that...there were three kitchens which had loads of stuff in them and the atmosphere whilst cooking was really friendly, people listening to music and chatting, really homely! there was free tea and coffee, a free spa which was lovely after a hard day's walking and even some dvds to hire for free from reception...the staff were great, really helpful, they gave me loads of info and pointed out places of interest on the map and walking trails....we had a really great time here, i would recommend it in a second!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

I have traveled over Europe, North America, and Australia for little over 3 years. In that time I have always stayed in backpackers. I stayed at the flaming kiwi for 2 months, I cannot explain how impressed with every detail of the backpackers. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly and available until late in the night. It was clean and I didn't have a problem with noise or anything like this. Everyone in the hostel was a good crack and laugh. Everyone got along. I highly recommend this hostel. I stayed in 4 other backpackers in Queenstown and by far this was the cleanest and most respectful.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business