“This was a fantastic trip! Lots of fun.”
Review of Family Adventures

Family Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
$141.08*
and up
Skippers Canyon Rafting and Sightseeing Trip
More attraction details
Owner description: A gentle scenic excursion packed with family fun for everyone from 3 to 103 years old. We take a unique 45 min drive into Skippers Canyon, an iconic area steeped in gold mining history, then float down gentle grade 1 and 2 rapids on the famous Shotover River in either guided rafts or inflatable kayaks. See gold mining relics and sheer canyon walls as we navigate the river with rapid swims and rock jumps.
Reviewed March 19, 2011

This was a really fun trip. I recommend it to all. Our guides Marshal, Simon and Bryn were awesome. Cam was a good laugh - he was our driver but he also told a lot of great jokes. I loved the pizza rock throwing.
I've been on a few other rafting trips and this one was cool and I felt really safe. I'd definitely go again.

ZQNJedi, Manager at Family Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"small rapids"
"grade rapids"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
in 10 reviews
"great family day"
"fantastic morning"
"life jackets"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed March 15, 2011

I took my 7 year old son on this white water rafting trip and we both loved it! The guides were friendly and made it fun for adults and kids with lots of jokes and stories. The drive into the canyon is amazing and the scenery on the way in and on the river was stunning. I loved the stories of the history of the area, the LOTR connection and fun atmosphere.

The guides were very professional whilst keeping it fun and helped those who needed a hand. I especially liked the way they engaged my young son and built up his confidence so he felt happy and secure the whole time. This is not the most exciting trip in Queenstown but gave us a thrill and is great for those wanting something suitable for many abilities and ages.

Reviewed March 13, 2011

We had a great time from the moment we met the crew.
The drive to the put in site was spectacular . It was well organised and the level of safety excellent. I loved that my daughter of 7 was well looked after. She hasn't stopped talking about it. I highly recommend other families to do this trip. Thanks guys!

Reviewed March 9, 2011

If you care for the safety of your family - STAY AWAY!!!!

This was an extremely easy rafting trip and great for beginners. Unfortunately, the river guides felt jeopardizing guest safety was amusing and enjoyable. I would urge anyone to pick one of the many other rafting options in Queenstown.

The website warns you that you will get wet during the trip. It is not from wild river rapids but instead from the river guides literally pushing people out of the boat, unannounced, into the cold river. I watched in horror as our guide suddenly, and without warning, pushed two adults and their two small children out of the boat. As he approached me and my friend, a jet boat was approaching so he had to quickly get everyone back into the boat. My friend, who is not the best swimmer and rather scared of water, was brave enough to take a rafting trip but will unfortunately never raft again after this experience.

As the young children and their parents were pulled back into the boat, they were confused and had difficulty breathing after swallowing river water. Who in the right mind would start pushing children out of a moving raft into a fast moving river? We spent the remainder of the trip in a state of shock after witnessing such a horror.

Maybe this was a onetime situation and the act of a crazy river guide. I will personally never place the safety of myself or the safety of loved ones, in the hands of this company again.

5  Thank TxRoadWarrior82
famadv, Owner at Family Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2011

Naturally we were very disappointed & alarmed when we first read this review. We contacted the reviewer to apologise & went over our daily logs & our photos to identify the raft & guide in question, as safety is paramount to our company. Once we had done that we contacted the people who were with the reviewer in the same raft.

From the feedback that we gathered from them we can confirm that they enjoyed the trip very much and were asked if they wanted to go swimming. The kids loved the trip & would love to do it again. At no time did they feel threatened or unsafe. The guide was funny & extremely capable. The water wasn't cold nor was any water swallowed.

We have also conducted a debrief with the guide who remembers the trip & the day very well. He assures us that at no time would he have endeavoured to throw the reviewer or his friend into the water. He had a rapport going with the other family which included some fooling around but it was by mutual consent. Any swimming on our trips is done on stretches of calm water & nowhere near any rapids.

So it is our opinion that the reviewer has perhaps misread the situation. It seems as if his perception of what occurred on the trip is very different from the experience that this family actually had. At the end of the day though it seems that the reviewer and his friend did not have a good time on our trip & for that we can only apologise.