“Couldn't get past the gatekeeper”
Review of Vertigo Bikes

Vertigo Bikes
Book In Advance
More Info
$108.61*
and up
Mountain Bike Trails Including Shuttle Transfer...
More attraction details
Owner description: Vertigo Bikes was born from Tim Ceci’s love of mountain biking. Guiding MTB trips is the only professional job he’s ever had! Joined a few years later by Paul ‘Pang’ Pangus, Vertigo has become THE Bike Shop in Queenstown. Still rider owned and operated, we are a one-stop shop for all your biking needs; be it bike rental, bike workshop or transport, we’ve got it all covered. We pride ourselves on being a small, yet perfectly formed company, which has an unparalleled enthusiasm for all things biking in Queenstown. We have an amazing group of individuals working for us who offer really great service and an unbeatable product.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

After a business associate recommended these guys, I walked into their shop, credit card in hand, to book a heli trip. Unfortunately, the gentlemen working behind the counter wasn't having a good day (or so it seemed).

I was (very pleasantly) asking basic questions about the trip, like any person who is paying $400 would typically do and trying to make a little small talk, but the guy was incredibly rude. I've been riding bikes for awhile and "bike shop attitude" is a common thing all over the world, so it doesn't necessarily surprise me.

The same day I had been in contact with Freeride NZ, who were insanely friendly, so I went with them instead. I'm sure the actual heli trip at Vertigo is amazing - and I may try again next time I'm in town - but I just couldn't give my money to this guy when there were so many nicer people around.

It's probably worth noting that I shared this frustration with someone on the gondola for the Queenstown bike park and he stated that he had a pleasant experience when renting his bike. Maybe I was just unlucky.

1  Thank JunesongProvision
BrnzLtd, Owner at Vertigo Bikes, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Hey mate, thanks for your feedback. We were totally gutted to read your review & extremely sorry that you had to go through this... :-( I'm sure the boys never meant to come across rude or offhand. Sometimes they get a bit too focused on trying to fix the bikes but that is no excuse. We had a good staff meeting the other night where we re-iterated how important it is to look after whoever walks in through the door, whether it's the first person of the day or the 100th & to focus on them 100%. Please give us another shot next time you're in town. Glad to hear that you had a great day heli-biking over in Wanaka. We are very blessed here with the terrain we've got. Keep hitting those trails & again our apologies. Cheers, Kris

All reviews
"moke lake"
"local knowledge"
"awesome experience"

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We are keen Mountain Bikers 57 and 25yrs old. We used Vertigo Bikes for all our bike hire in Queenstown, we Hired bikes to go to Seven Mile and got advice & maps from Vertigo. The Helibike was fantastic, we really enjoyed the authentic trail at Skippers Canyon and spent 2 mornings on Skyline Downhilling. The guides were really great, relaxed and proffesional. The bikes were fine and we have no hesitation recommending them. We had a great time.

ZQNJedi, Manager at Vertigo Bikes, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've been to Queenstown several times and sampled many activities, including biking on most trips. There are several bike hire outlets in Queenstown, but Vertigo is easily the best. Vertigo has only good quality bikes. The staff are really well informed (some are ex downhill racers) and include excellent mechanics. They will advise you on your proposed trip (and may even dissuade you if they think your expertise and/or fitness is not up to the job - most places would just take your money and let you find out the hard way). Vertigo also provides led trips, including helicopter lifts up the mountain and trips to Skippers Canyon. If you wish to have your own biked serviced or wish to buy a bike, Vertigo can help here too.

1  Thank John W

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were driven from the Queenstown shop to Moke Lake and had a lovely time exploring the area. The bikes were in good condition and the route round the lake easy to follow. Some challenges for those like me who are not too keen on steep downhills but the guide who drove us out the Lake had warned us about that bit and offered alternatives. I just walked down!

ZQNJedi, Owner at Vertigo Bikes, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018