“Routeburn Track- Ultimate Hikes.”

Routeburn Track Hiking Tour - New Zealand Breeze
Reviewed December 16, 2012

As someone who is used to carrying tents, sleeping bags and food into a remote destination, walking the Routeburn with Ultimate Hikes was a revelation. The lodges were wonderful and having your food (great food) prepared for you after a big day of trekking was pure luxury. We are vegetarians and ate just as well as everyone else.I think the highlight were the guides though. Knowledgeable, unflapable and amusing they gave an extra dimension to the walk, not to mention they were a lot of fun to be with.

We did the full track and its is one of the most beautiful walks we have ever done. A blind person could take a great pic here- EVERYTHING is stunning. In fact, the scenery rates as good as the higher altitude treks I have done in Nepal. I was delighted to see a Kea (alpine parrot) up close and some rare plants. Do this! Get out there!

5  Thank imaginelle
There are newer reviews for Routeburn Track Hiking Tour - New Zealand Breeze

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I just loved the guided walk on the Routeburn with Ultimate Hikes. Scenery and weather were stunning. The track is well formed and anyone with reasonable fitness will enjoy it. The lodges we stayed in were really comfortable and the resident chefs at both lodges catered to my vegetarian diet perfectly...exceeded my expectations!

3  Thank Jono J
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just completed the 3 day/2 night hike on the Routeburn Track. It was spectacular. The views were awesome, the huts we stayed in on the trail were great, the walk, although challenging in parts, was both very rewarding and a great experience. Best things were the views, the people we met and the challenge, the worst? not much really. We did have exceptional weather, no rain, I would imagine if it was teeming down it wouldn't be fun. Do equip yourself correctly...it gets cold at night and in the mornings, can be extremely wet, correct footwear is a must...hiking boots!!. You need clothes to cover a lot of different conditions...cold/wet/warm and remember you have to carry it all. And bring nice food, it makes for a much more pleausrable experince. Go do it, it's worth it!!

2  Thank KennyBOYSydney
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Perhaps the most beautiful hike I have been on - the only area just beating it, Glacier National Park. I fell in love with New Zealand based on this hike. Depending on your skill and comfort, you can do this hike in 1, 2 or 3 days. Poles should be used, but as an average hiker, I did not find this trail difficult. Because I wanted to take my time and take photographs, I did go with the 3-day Ultimate Hikes. Unlike one review, no - they do not carry your bags from place to place. You are responsible for carrying your equipment, but I absolutely enjoyed great cooking, wine and comfortable but minimalistic lodging in the evening.

1  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Walked the Routeburn and was both delighted and horrified by how many people were on it. Falls hut was completely booked out and I was dismayed to find a luxury lodge built behind it! Harden up people - it is all a part of the experience to carry your own stuff and be self sufficient for a few days! Hundreds of people on the track so hard to hear the birds.........would still go again in a heartbeat. From the Flats HUt we spent a morning exploring the North Branch of the Routeburn (off the track) and this was a real highlight. Followed a track along a creek through the valley. Pristine and hundreds of birds instead of people.
This is a fantastic walk and I can see why it is considered a "Great Walk".

1  Thank NJM33