“Nice for a beer not so much for Yakitori.”

Yakitori Daruma Japanese Sake Bar
Ranked #91 of 268 Restaurants in Queenstown
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: It's a fusion between a restaurant and a bar, Izakaya (called in Japanese) is a type of informal Japanese Gastropub with a warm atmosphere, offering authentic Japanese dishes and an unique range of Japanese drinks. Traditional Japanese food, cooked right in front of you in an open kitchen, such as Karaage Chicken, Tempura Prawn, Teriyaki Salmon, Sushi, Sashimi, Yakitori as well as Ramen and Donburi. Daruma Sake Bar Queenstown is casual place for after-work drinking and bites, kitchen is open until late!!! You must try the famous Sake Bomb (beer and sake shot), the drink menu offers a lot of different Japanese drinks including Sake, Shochu, Cocktails and Beers. Known for its excellent customer service and friendly and relaxed attitude, take a seat at Daruma Sake Bar Queenstown and get recommendations on new dishes to try or the best sake or cocktails.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

More small funky Japanese bar than restaurant. I love Yakitori but the food here tasted old and the cuts of meat were supermarket seconds. The Chefs special hot ramen tasted like miso, two minute noodles and tobacco sauce with fried pork mince. Tuna was fishy and the beef tasted reheated and old. Beer was cold though and staff were cool.

1  Thank MRMITCHELLX

Reviewed January 6, 2013

On my recent trip to NZ I decided to eat here one night. Upon doing so I didn't realise that I'd end up coming back 5 more nights!

What a funky, fun, chilled, outrageously awesome place to eat!

The food, amazing! Extremely fast yet oh so tasty! I ate things I never thought I'd ever think of eating and I loved it all!

The staff were very attentive, happy and just pleasant to be around.

As for the venue itself, very small and cosy with some kinda funky ghetto chic going on haha.

If you don't mind a little Japanese you MUST visit Yakitori Daruma when you're in the area!

Tip: If you do plan visiting with a group I'd highly recommend ringing ahead and making a reservation as it is quite small...

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed three nights in Queenstown on our last legvofvSouth Island holiday. We went to Yakatori based on all these reviews that we read in tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. Food was simple but delicious, service was friendly and fast and we ended up coming back on our last night in NZ.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife & I love Japanese food - she lived in Japan for many years & I have visited several times. This is a great little restaurant - authentic, tasty food with great friendly service. Our last trip to Queenstown we ate here all 3 nights. Highly recommended.

1  Thank NZTraveller21_11
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Really nice place to enjoy with friends. But make a reserve, because it is small and is always full. I had problems to pay the bill. They charge things wrong... twice. :/

1  Thank DGG1982