“Loved!”

Nomads Queenstown Backpackers
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed in Queenstown for 2 weeks and stayed in the same room for the whole time I was there. Had no issues at all whilst here. The staff were friendly. The common room is a great place to socialise and meet new people. A definite must for any backpacker in Queenstown.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I can't complain abut the hostel or its facilities the free dinner is good and rooms are clean however the staff have serious attitude problems. Bellowing at me as I walked in to the hostel one day with a carrier bag shouting "that better not be alcohol" I may be a backpacker but I'm certainly not a piece of scum on your shoe!

Also the staff go in to people's rooms every night around the time people are usually getting showered and ready to hit the town to check for alcohol. One night in particular a male member of staff came in to my room from the balcony sliding doors without knocking giving me a fright as I was half naked getting dressed. It was a serious invasion of my privacy and did not appreciate male members of staff barging in to the room with out knocking prior to entering.

Needless to say I will not be recommending this hostel 3 hostels that I do recommend in Queenstown for value for money, cleanliness and friendliness are: adventure backpackers, black sheep backpackers and YHA Lake view backpackers.

Room Tip: Look at the 3 hostels I recommended above
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
NomadsQueenstown, Manager at Nomads Queenstown Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to give us feedback and I'm sorry to hear you found our customer service not to be up to standard.

As we do have a dry ban in the hostel after 9pm this is when we have staff check the rooms, this is due to the large amount of guests who sadly try to sneak alcohol into the rooms. This occurs at 9pm each night and this is to ensure no one is partying in the rooms and disrespecting other guests.

As we generally receive positive feedback in regards to our staff I am disappointed to hear you did not find them to be helpful, I am certain that the comment made about "not being alcohol" was meant to be in a joking manner as the staff do like to have a bit of banter.

Thanks again for placing feedback and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The title says it all. This was my first time travelling alone and I couldn't have had a better experience to start it off. The rooms were spotless, the beds were comfortable, the staff was great, and the atmosphere was awesome.

It's located so close to the lake you can see it from some of the rooms and just the views from the hostel are amazing. There is a big common room where people hang out as well as a sauna which is a nice touch.

Security is also very good in the sense that you need your card to enter after a certain hour as well as the use of personal lockers in each dorm.

This hostel was so good I booked Nomads hostels for the rest of my trip across Australia (turns out the one in Queenstown was the best though!).

I definitely recommend to anyone going to Queenstown. I won't even comment about internet rates becasue frankly if you are travelling to Queenstown the last thing you should care to do is be stuck to a computer or phone!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for over a week towards the end of last year. The hostel is spacious, and pretty clean for a large hostel. Unfortunately the staff are terrible. Every evening they walk into your room to check for alcohol, usually at a time where people are getting ready to go out, then they make themselves at home in your room thinking they're welcome there. The staff on the front desk are condescending and speak to you like you're a child, this would not be a bad thing if they could actually do their jobs properly, instead they lost my booking, made me prove that I have already paid for it, then they mix up dates, and when I asked them to match an online price they said no. We also had to ask for clean linen after staying there for a week, they also checked new people into the room and had not fully stripped the beds after 7 days, a very slack operation and in need of new staff

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Karl W
NomadsQueenstown, Manager at Nomads Queenstown Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Hi Karl

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback - very disappointed to hear you did not have a good experience with us as we generally receive great praise in regards to our friendly and helpful staff, even recently winning a "Best Staff" award through Hostelbookers and "2nd Top Hostel in the World" by HostelWorld 2013.

We do have high standards of cleanliness and would have most definitely changed your sheets when asked, we do this every three days or whenever asked in our private rooms however due to the high turnover of guests in the dorm rooms and the fact that often guests switch beds while staying in the same room it is harder to track which bed has been used for several days - if you had let reception know we would definitely have changed them immediately.

As we allow drinking in the hostel until 9pm at night we do check the dorms at 9pm to ensure no one is partying in their rooms which often occurs, we do this in respect of the guests who aren't in Queenstown to party as we're a hostel, not a bar. I will ensure the staff in the security positions are knocking prior to entry thank you for letting us know about this.

Once again, I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay - we do try our best to ensure customer satisfaction however it seems you have been let down I'm sorry. I hoep you enjoyed your time in Queenstown and all the best for your future travels.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Simply this is how a hostel should be run. Friendly staff, efficient, free towels, free earplugs, sauna, cinema, pool table, tour bookings, spotlessly clean and slap bang in the centre of town. They even photocopied my passport for free for a job agency. And well priced. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned everyday (and vacuumed). Free breakfast and dinner. You could in theory be fed and watered and sleep for £16 a night in Queenstown here. It has a good social scene as a good portion of people are only visiting Queenstown for a few days.
Strictly no alcohol in rooms or in hostel after 9pm, they will come in and check under beds and in social area. Fine for me because I was on a fitness regime after too much booze in Oz :-).
If I must give constructive feedback, get the sound fixed in the cinema because it is popular and packed at night.
Good job guys, perfect job in fact!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ianyoung1985
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Nomads Hostel is a good option for backpackers... the kitchen has perfect size, the rooms are clean, the people of the reception are friendly... 2 min walking to the beach 3 min walking to the town!!!

Room Tip: There is not a swimming pool and fitness center but it has TV room, pool table, sauna...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Top floor room, balcony and double bed with en suite.
It was as much a hotel than a hostel/backpackers.
Friendly helpfull staff.
As with most backpacking places, there were younger people enjoying themselves but it did not cause us any inconvinience. Kitchen facilities get a bit busy at times.
I agree with the ban on alcohol in the rooms as there are plenty of bars and clubs in town.
Well located and good view of the lake if you have the rooms at the front with the balconies.
Not expensive either.