Book In Advance
Tours from Guided Walks New Zealand tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Guided Walks New Zealand
from $79.20
from $1,369.70
from $274.60
More Info
All reviews frozen lake routeburn track snow shoes lake alta new zealand experience snow great guide routeburn flats nature walk non skiers day hike fitness levels beautiful hike ski fields dart river beech forest dropped off
Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Just came back from a day trip to Routeburn Track with Guides Walks New Zealand.
It was the best day of my journey here.
The park that we visited is a sort "NZ beech museum". There are three species of beech, the silver, the red and the mountain beech.
The landscape is amazing and the vegetation luxurious.
I love to hike and this is a perfect place to enjoy the incredible nature of NZ.
Our guide Kate, was the highlight of the tour. Professional and knowledgble she shared with us tons of information about the park the vegetation and about NZ. She was also very caring, a wonderful human being. Hope to meet her again.
I was really skeptical when I started the hike because it was supposed to rain according to the local weather forecast. The weather was just beautiful. This is something that I'm learning here: the weather in NZ is unpredictable!

Lucy_L_NTT, Marketing Manager at Guided Walks New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Kia ora alexalexa,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your Famous Routeburn Track guided day walk with us. It's great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your trip and it's been the best day of your journey! We are lucky to be able to share our stunning part of the world with visitors and it's wonderful that you've gone home with some new found knowledge of our 'beech museum'. We'll be sure to pass your positive feedback on to Kate. Thanks again for your review and safe travels.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our guide Steffan was amazing during the hike! We learned so much information (we even got bits of fact & history on the drive to the park), and the walking pace for our group was at a really pleasant pace. I was a bit nervous about the boat ride through the Dart River, but it was actually quite fun & had great photo opportunities! I think I was expecting to get whiplash or something, but the boat ride was far from that. We were also lucky enough to have Steffan as our guide the next day for snow shoeing in the Remarkables, which I would also highly recommend. The views are incredible, and we honestly had a really fun day chatting and walking with Steffan.

Kia ora allison22711

Thanks so much for taking the time to place a review of your Aspiring Wilderness Experience with Guided Walks New Zealand. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your jet boat ride and guided walk with Steffan. Yes, the Dart River Wilderness Jet is definitely more about taking in the landscape and stories rather than thrills and spills. How wonderful you spent a day with us snowshoeing the next day - you've packed a lot into your time in Queenstown! Thanks again for your great review, safe travels and we hope to see you back in Queenstown in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I decided that I would like to snow shoe while my husband and son skied at The Remarkables. The route looked pretty and the weather superb. Donning snow shoes I realised that the rest of the group was a lot younger but I knew I could do it. The hardest part was walking up the ski slope and avoiding the skiers coming down! It was tough going but once at the top the views extended for miles. We came to a frozen lake,Lake Alta and the guide showed us how much snow was on top of the frozen lake. It really was magnificent sitting on top of the mountain eating our lunch that was provided and watching expert snow boarders sail past us. The walk down I found a bit harder as it was quite steep but there was plenty of assistance and encouragement. I felt a real sense of achievement in completing this walk and not setting foot on the chairlift at all!

Lucy_L_NTT, Marketing Manager at Guided Walks New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Kia ora Penelope A
You really did do that - well done! The chairlift can look very tempting at times on the way up the slope but once we get off trail and into the Lake Alta area it's all worth it for the views and the solitude! It sounds like you rose to the challenge of the hike so good on you for giving it a go, and we're really thrilled to hear you enjoyed your day on the mountain. Thanks for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Queenstown again in future. Safe travels.

Reviewed September 30, 2018

we got stefan as a guide, we enjoy the track very much , we learn a lot about the Area , the flora, it was quite a good trip with A good guide.

Lucy_L_NTT, Marketing Manager at Guided Walks New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2018

Kia ora galian26

Many thanks for placing a review on your guided day walk experience with us. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your day out with Stefan and managed to learn a lot about the area while taking in the views. Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed September 12, 2018

We wanted to go on a snow play tour with our three year old. Sarah was very helpful and flexible with us. Remarkables snow field is a short 30 min drive which Sarah navigated very safely. We played in the snow, threw snowballs rode a taboggan, drank hot beverages out in the snow. Sarah came completely prepared with equipment, food and drink. When our daughter grew quickly bored of the snow Sarah was happy for us to try other activities and eventually we finished up early. It was a perfect introduction to the snow for our daughter. Thanks Sarah

Kia ora 120russelle

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on your Snowshoe Snowplay trip with us. It's great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your day out, especially as a first encounter with snow for your daughter. We're very lucky to have a great bunch of very skilled and helpful guides on our team and it's always nice when this is recognised by our guests - Sarah will be thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with her! Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We spent an amazing day walking part of the Routeburn Track with Emma as our guide. The scenery was beautiful and Emma was very considerate of our differing fitness levels . She was very friendly and knowledgeable about the track and the area in general. The picnic lunch was a gourmet sandwich and snacks ...so good ! Would highly recommend this company for guided walks .

Kia ora alisonjeanlane

Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review on your guided day walk with us on the famous Routeburn Track. We strive to provide a tailored pace and unique experience for every trip so it's good to hear Emma managed this well and that you enjoyed the knowledge she shared along the way. We are always very grateful when a guest recommends one of our trips, so thank you for this. We hope to welcome you back to the Queenstown area again in future for another of our Guided Walks experiences. Take care and safe travels.

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

My friend and I have never done snowshoeing before and I can tell you we both loved!!! Not only for the activitity but mainly for all the knowledge our guides had!!! We spent some amazing hours learning some interesting facts about avalanches, Lake Alta and the Remarkables. We had really fun in the igloo and some very nice lunch with breathtaking views of the mountain range around Queenstown. The day was BEAUTIFUL and even though being on the snow we could almost feel like summer with all the exercises we did!!! It was awesome! Thanks guys!!! We did the snowshoe adventure and I would highly recommend it for fit people although Suzanne told me that they also have some very good options for families with kids! A very good program for those who want to have some fun on the snow without skiing or snowboarding.

Kia ora Vanessa M

Thanks so much for your review on your Snowshoe Adventure trip with us. We're really pleased to hear that you thoroughly your first snowshoe experience and learned some great insights from Suzanne in between the breath taking views and igloo exploration! It sounds like you had beautiful weather as well which is always a bonus. Thanks again and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed August 23, 2018

It was my first time snowshoeing and it was my birthday, I will never regret I chose it for that particular day! The views up the Remarkables are breathtaking and the guide with us was so knowledgeable! I learnt a lot about the mountain and mountaineering in general! It was fun, beautiful and definitely worth it! The snowshoes are so easy to use, I did not even remember I had them on after a while! Love points: the walk on Lake Alta and Alta Domo, our little lunch igloo!

Kia ora Drey T

Thank you very much for placing a review on your Snowshoe Adventure trip with us - what a great way to spend your birthday! It's good to hear that you learned a lot about the mountains and mountaineering from your guide as well as enjoying the incredible views from the Remarkables. We choose snowshoes that are slim line, light-weight and easy to use so it's always great to hear from a first time snowshoe guest that they ticked these boxes. Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

Suzanne was brilliant, we felt really well looked after and loved her stories and knowledge of the area. The snowshoeing itself was a really fun experience, and the views were spectacular! Also we only booked the day before so were really impressed to be provided with a delicious vegan lunch!

Kia ora RuthM

Many thanks for taking the time to place a review on your Snowshoe experience with us, great to hear you had such a good day with Suzanne. We strive to provide exceptional manaakitanga (hospitality) so it's really good to hear you enjoyed tour vegan lunch as well as the snowshoeing and views! Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Our first encounter with snow and the guides were helpful and friendly! Kalebwb was cheerful and good with kids! He gave my two kids his full care and attention and even played with them! The snowballs, slide and igloo were great! Time passed very fast! We feel safe with guides who took care of us during the whole trip! Well done!

Kia ora AYeo305

Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review on your Snowshoe Snowplay trip with us. We're thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed your first encounter with snow! Our Snowplay trip is all about having fun in the snow, but safety is always the most important factor on any of our trips so it's also really pleasing to hear you felt safe for the duration of your trip with us too. Thanks again and safe travels.