“Wonderful... ”

Kinloch Wilderness Retreat Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 266 Restaurants in Queenstown
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dining with a stunning view of Lake Wakatipu and the Richardson mountains. The best local and sustainable ingredients are combined with our own garden to plate salad, free-range eggs, and homemade bread to create delicious and nourishing meals. We cater for all appetites by offering a range of tempting home-cooked dishes, freshly prepared with seasonal and local ingredients. The focus is on simple, nourishing dishes with gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options available, all dietary requirements can be considered. Our restaurant is open to both our accommodation guests and day visitors.
Reviewed July 21, 2019 via mobile

The view might be spectacular, the place maybe warm and cozy. BUT the food and the chef completes the wonderful experience.

Not a lot of foreign tourist would come here... Off beaten path.. Well worth the trip.

Beautiful experience. We will definitely put this on our trip back

Date of visit: July 2019
Kinloch_Lodge, General Manager at Kinloch Wilderness Retreat Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2019

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Write a reviewReviews (168)

Reviewed June 23, 2019

I had one nigth in this place after a 10 days hike. At first I reserved a romms to share, but when I saw the size of the rooms, I decided to change for a little room for myself. It is very "cosy", means a bit small in my opinion for the price. But the place is very nice and relaxing. I also had a dinner and I've been a bit desapointed with my Fish and chips with only one small pieces of fisk and Mc Do style fries. But in the middle of nowhere.

Date of visit: May 2019
Kinloch_Lodge, Owner at Kinloch Wilderness Retreat Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2019

Thank you for your review. You chose a budget double room $115 in our backpackers in a remote and beautiful location near the Routeburn track. Our $27 Fish and chips dish is one portion (a piece of snapper) and shoestring fries (yes Macdonalds serves shoestring style fries as well) these are the most popular. The fish and chips are served with salad, coleslaw, homemade tartare sauce and tomato sauce.

Reviewed June 10, 2019

I arrived for a one night stay in the off season and the owners could not have been more helpful. Dinner and breakfast were excellent, the accommodation very quiet and comfortable. It was so cosy I fell asleep in front of the open fire in the lounge. I'm hoping not too many people find out about this place so it is always available if I want to stay.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 14, 2019

The Lodge was incredible, the decoration, bed was crazy comfy, nice robes, bathrooms and the lounge area. Views from the lodge is just something you definitely don't see everyday.

One of the best parts, the food, the burgers and the fish and chips are just so on point. Emily at the restaurant was so friendly shout out to her!
Definitely would stay there again and again.

Date of visit: April 2019
Kinloch_Lodge, General Manager at Kinloch Wilderness Retreat Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2019

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 9, 2019

Interesting place to visit and beautiful view from the verandah. The owners were very friendly. Note that if you are traveling from Glenorchy you will be driving thru a non sealed road, which can be a bit uncomfortable, but it is worth while.

Date of visit: May 2019
Kinloch_Lodge, General Manager at Kinloch Wilderness Retreat Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2019

Thanks for your review Marta! There is 9km of unsealed road to us, but if guests wish to leave their cars in Glenorchy we do have a boat service to bring them over. Glad you enjoyed your time with us.