“Bungi Backpackers”

Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers
Queenstown
“Bungi Backpackers”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Super nice and helpful staff! Manager just changed and gives the hostel a warmly touch.
Showers, Toilets and Rooms are Clean. Kitchen is fully staffed. Free Salt, Pepper and Sugar. Every day at 6pm free and tasty soup. Hostel is especially good for longtime stayers, feels like home ad very quiet during the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Takoha C, Frontline Sales at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you very much Elli B for your kind review.

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Takoha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the "Expendables" room. The beds had marker writings and that just felt wrong, like in prison or something like that. Fridges smelt weird and looked dirty too... I guess YHA would be a better choice ...

• Stayed September 2013
Wiki W, Public Relations Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
We encourage our guests to tell our staff about any issue they may have about their stay at our hostel. The hostel Manager of Bungi is very particular about the level of cleanliness and actually welcomes any feedback and comments to make sure that issues are addressed promptly. It is unfortunate that your experience with this great little place was not up to your level. I hope that your future accommodation experiences are happy ones:) Arohanui (With much love)
North west
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Me and my friend booked a twin room. It was tiny and the bed was very noisy. In the end, she moved her mattress onto the floor and slept better there. The rooms are separated by some cheaply made DIY wall from a dorm. Our room had a shared heater with the dorm next door. With next door being a tiny room with a bunch of guys, they got quite hot in there and kept turning the radiator off. This meant that our room was freezing, literally freezing so we could see our breath. We complained countless times to staff who were nice and told them to stop turning it off and turned it back on for us. They also came in the room and then gave us free hot water bottles. Sadly the people in the room next door kept turning the radiator off at 22.05 so reception had just closed and we had to have a night of being cold and it wouldn't be turned on again until we complained. This went on for the whole week we stayed. It wouldn't be an issue in the summer, but in winter it is cold in Queenstown.
Only bonus is free vege soup (which it appears every hostel in Queenstown does) and the staff were friendly.
Also this hostel is located up a steep hill.
Would recommend you stay at a hostel in the centre which are pretty much the same price!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Takoha C, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for your review and we cannot apologise enough that this problem was reoccurring throughout your stay. I'm glad that you found our staff helpful in this matter and it is unfortunate that you didn't bring this to the attention of our night porter as he is on duty from 10pm until 8am..To my knowledge this has not been a problem before as guests generally do not play with our heating system and instead open a window if they are too hot. Thank you for bringing it to our attention though and we hope that our yummy free soup, friendly staff and the promise of a different twin room will be enough to tempt you back if you are ever in Queenstown again!
Clyde, New Zealand
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I've stayed two nights here on two different occasions in two different dorms. It was quite welcoming and first impressions were good. Loved the free vegetable soup in the evening, the lovely lounge, the cool kitchen, facilities were clean and there are lots of interesting and quirky pieces of artwork to look at. I would definitely stay here again. No free internet, but the free soup makes up for this. Niggle #1 the spa pool is always out of order Niggle #2 and truly a minor one, the door of each dorm makes a loud clunk sound when it's closed, so I was woken several times in the night. I am a light sleeper tho, once again, this is a minor niggle as I think it's good that the door automatically locks itself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for choosing to, on your return, stay with us again, we pride ourselves on our returning guests. Really glad to hear you enjoyed the free soup, it certainly goes down well here at Bungi and we're glad you enjoyed the hostel facilities too.
Yes unfortunately our Spa has been out of order due to a lengthy repair problem but we do offer all our guests the opportunity to use our sister hostel's spa which is just down the road, I am sorry if you weren't made aware of this. Like you said, our doors do lock behind themselves which is a much better security precaution, but like you, I am also a light sleeper so understand your grumble. Best investment I have ever made for travelling and staying in hostels is some moulded ear plugs, I highly recommend them for an uninterrupted nights sleep! We hope to see you again if you ever return to Queenstown, Thanks again, The Bungi Crew :)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you are looking for a warm, friendly, homely environment for your stay in Queenstown then look no further. We stayed at Bungi Backpackers for just over a week during mid July 2013 and we couldn't have asked for a better place to accommodate us. The combination of friendly, helpful staff alongside the welcoming fellow backpackers who we shared our many kiwi experiences with, was a combination that was unbeatable.
Clean, comfortable bedrooms with a cosy lounge area just down the hallway where many travellers gather together for movie marathons, board games or just simply to hang out or, for those who are keen for a night on the town and want to listen to music, a sun room conveniently placed just steps away from the fully equipped kitchen.
PLUS, FREE SOUP EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! What more could you want!?
I can confidently say that Bungi Backpackers is a place I would return to and refer to fellow travellers in the years to come. Thanks Bungi!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Well what can I say apart from thanking you for being amazing guests. We thoroughly enjoyed hosting your stay here in Queenstown and having you here at Bungi. I absolutely love the photo of you all at our front door of which, on any of your returns to Queenstown we would welcome you through with open arms. Guests like you are what makes our job so enjoyable. Thanks again from all of the Bungi Crew ;)
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great value for money, cheapest and friendliest place in town. Good facilities, although kitchen and bathroom were outdated and old (recommend to use shower nearest the tv room-its the best one) they were kept clean. Not recommended for the flashpackers, come here to meet the real travellers. Staff were really helpful and always polite, especially lisa on reception. Free tea and soup were a godsend. Only a 3 min walk to town. Stayed here a few weeks last winter aswell and i wasnt cold once, radiators in all the rooms and halls so was toasty all night and day.

Room Tip: i stayed in the 7 bed dorm - nursery. its the cheapest one that isnt outside so you dont have to g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, all feed back just helps us to make Bungi an even better hostel so we really do appreciate it. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and decided to return. Our radiators really do keep us all nice and toasty which makes a welcome return after a cold day out and about in Queenstown during winter. That, along with our delicious free soup and a cuppa really sets you up for the evening. We are currently doing lots of renovating here at Bungi and improvements are in motion on a daily basis. We would welcome you back to experience an even better stay with us any day of the week ;) Thanks again, from all of us here at Bungi.
Ireland
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Originally I had wanted to stay in a different hostel in Queenstown that I had stayed in previously but it was booked out so I went with Bungi backpackers as it was within my budget. I have to say that I don't think that this hostel is for everyone. I've been travelling in New Zealand for the past few weeks and I think that bungi backpackers is the poorest hostel I've stayed in so far.

We decided to stay in a double room and were put into one of the "cabins" outside which is not what I had originally booked. This was tiny and freezing, and it's actually quite noisy because it's close to the road. The bathrooms and showers are in the main building which was a bit annoying. When we asked if there were any other rooms/dorms available, the staff member didn't seem particularly interested in helping us and we ended up staying put. My negative experience of this hostel could just have been down to the freezing room out the back and I can't comment on the other rooms though.

The other main problem I had was that I thought that overall the hostel was not clean. This may have been down to there being just one staff member on at the time who was on reception and preparing rooms. The bathrooms were pretty dirty and on at least two occasions toilets were blocked/overflowed. In comparison to other places I've stayed, it's pretty tight on space in their rooms and also in the kitchen area. It's also a pretty old building and could do with a bit of a revamp especially the bathroom and kitchen. The lounge area was pretty nice and quirky. Overall, I think that you would be able to find something better in Queenstown for the same price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your review.
The period that you stayed was one of our busiest times of the year and without a doubt, if we could have accommodated you and changed your room then we would have. Unfortunately we were fully booked, as was the rest of Queenstown.. Our cabins are classed as double rooms so if you booked a double room you were placed correctly, they also contain heaters, electric blankets, extra duvets and at reception we have hot water bottles free of charge so we do try our best to make winter here in Queenstown as comfortable as possible for everyone. The staff member that you are talking about was certainly not alone, we are proud of our team of cleaners here and take the cleanliness of our hostel very seriously, with regards to the blocked toilets to my knowledge this is not a common thing and if brought to any of our staffs attention would have been dealt with immediately.