“Worst customer service we have experienced.”

Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Myself and a friend stayed in the Bunji Backpackers Hostel, Queenstown, for 4 nights. As veterans in customer service and the travel and tourism industry we were appalled by the level of customer service provided by one of the reception staff. we were more than polite, as we are to everyone, however it didn't seem to make a difference when she had an issue with people staying in the hostel. On our first morning there I was up very early (jet lag), so helped her clean quite a few of the dirty dishes left in the kitchen. The following morning she burst into our room and accused us of not washing up after dinner last night - when in actual fact we left a fair amount in a pan to enjoy at breakfast, which of course she threw away.

Our biggest shock came after we had been on the house hunt all day and found an ideal place to move into permanently. That evening we approached her to ask about checking out early to, which she said no problem, and that we could have a full refund. This made us very happy as we needed money to live until we found jobs. That night around 30 people had a small pre-drinking party in the downstairs dorm. Granted it was rather loud, however we had ALL left for town by 11PM, we left sooner.

The next morning when we came to check out we were greeted by what i can only describe as the most pointless, fake, ridiculous excuse not to give us a refund for our last few days. We were told, by the same reception girl, that we had been a "nightmare" to have in the hostel and that we were being official kicked out - despite already been checked out of our room. She blamed the noise complaints on us and said we have become a bad influence on the rest of the Hostel. I would like to make it know that my friend and I had been jet lagged for at leave 3 of the four days we were in the hostel, and the only night we wernt in bed by 11:30/12:00 was our last night.

We were confused and very annoyed and managed to get HALF our money back. We were also told that others would be kicked out of the Hostel as she knows others were involved. NO SUCH THING OCCURRED. I have a very close family friend staying in that hostel who kept us up to date with what happened after we left. We were the only ones "kicked out"

My friend and I run high-end ski chalets in the european winter and know exactly the kind of attitude you must have towards paying guests. We were bewildered by how awful her attitude was to us and the rest of the Hostel. I'm sure you will be receiving many more complaints from the long-termers that have recently been asked to leave the hostel for no apparent reason but to make room for holiday makers. Is their money not as good or something?

It seemed to arise that the reason we were asked to leave is that it was still early-season, so beds were harder to fill. And now the season is picking up the hostel has 'no need' for long-termers as holiday makers will be passin through the hostel.

I have never written a complaint letter in my life, mainly as i know the consequences of them from working in customer service. However in this case i simply could not hold back.

Thank you Bunji Backpackers for ruining our first ever week in New Zealand. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Our advice - find better staff.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MichaelFitz1992
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, we take each review very seriously.
Unfortunately the week in question was filled with disruptive behavior from our guests at the time, that resulted in a serious complaint, as you have already written in your review the said party was the cause of this serious complaint. Unfortunately here at Bungi our first priority is for everyone to have a good experience at our hostel and party's are only fun for the people involved. I am sorry that you have been misinformed by you friend but you were certainly not singled out.

In regards to the misunderstanding over your refund, accommodation agreed for and paid up front does not entitle you to one.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Queenstown and have a better experience in your new house share, unfortunately rules do need to be in place at our business in order for us to run it well.

There are newer reviews for Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Everyone was friendly and helpful, the hostel is clean and spacious (and there's free soup at 6pm!) and the beds are clean and comfy. Good location for seeing what Queenstown has to offer, bit of a con having a steep hill to walk up but it's totally worth it when you get there. Home away from home, really hated leaving!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. We are so pleased you had a good stay with us. Yes that hill can get your blood pumping, Queenstown is full of them unfortunately but with it also comes some beautiful views over the mountains that we are very lucky to have on our doorstep. Bungi certainly does that home away from home feel so if you are feeling homesick we would love to have you back!! ;)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nice staff, good and clean facilities. We stayed in a small dorm of 4 people, it was nice. The city centre is just a 5 min. walk away from the hostel. Nice garden and with that comes a chance to hang outside. Liked alot!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Our hostel certainly is very unique and has bags of funky character. We are very lucky to have such a big garden with amazing views and even enough room for a volley ball court, we are glad you made use of it. All this, and like you said still so close to town. We would love to welcome you back if you are ever visiting Queenstown again. Thanks very much, The Bungi Crew.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed in more backpackers than I can remember but this is one of the best so far. I arrived in Queenstown with only a couple of days before New Year's Eve 2012 and no surprise I couldn't find any accommodation. I had just driven for 4 days and my luck had run out. I was starting to think my trip to Queenstown for New Year would not be a good one....I found Bungie backpackers but the hostel was fully booked apart from one bed so I took it without any questions. My room was Tidy and the bed was comfortable.The guys and girls in my 8 bed room were great fun and it wasn't long before we went to town together.The hostile is quirky, tidy and has everything you need. All the guests were friendly and there was a nice atmosphere but I guess you also need to make the effort to make it that way. The managers pet's are very friendly and having them around makes it feel more home from home. Bungie backpackers is conveniently located with a 2 minute walk to the town centre with helpful staff that are genuinely friendly and if you respect them they will respect you. The hostel is well located and if you want peace and quiet you can have it or if you want to party party party then you are less than 5 minutes walk from town.All in all if I hadn't ended up in Bungie backpackers I don't think my new year celebrations would have been as memorable as they are.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Lisa M, Manager at Sir Cedrics Bungi Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.

Bungi Backpackers is now under new management and together with the owners we are working to improve all of our reviews on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is extremely welcomed and we hope that if you have stayed with us before you will visit us again to enjoy all the positive changes we are putting into our establishment.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We didn't plan to stay in Queenstown, but it happened that we had to spend one night there. We have chosen Bungi Backpackers since it was recommended by Lonely Planet and they had an available double room. The staff was very friendly and nice with us. They gave us a lot of good hints and towels without any payment. However except for the price and very nice service, unfortunately I don't have anything else to compliment. The shared area is quite old and dirty (even we have seen how girls/workers were clearning kitchen during the evening, just the next morning it was already dirty (I suppose it is the side effect of the ski trips ;) ) The bed in our room required some reparation (not enough base-planks) and we were quite frozen even with two heaters on max. I would definitely not recommend this place for a long stay, however it could be an option for one-two nights during a warm season.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I couldn't sleep because of the noise and people drinking all night. It was cheap but I'd rather avoid it next time. Bathrooms were disgusting, the beds were OK but the kitchen was a mess most of the time. I did speak to a few guests who were friendly but also found the hostel awful. I guess you get what you pay for so they don't complain much. There are so much better hostels out there and not much more expensive. Avoid and go somewhere else. Unless you like drinking and noisy people.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Bungi backpackers lies pretty central, just 5 minutes from the town centre and the lakeshore. If you're going by foot, you'll need to climb a steep hill before getting there. Not very surprising, this is new zealand after all! :)

The backpackers was REALLY crowded. If you're staying at Bungi, be prepared for sleepless nights. Every guest will go out at night to clubs and come back at 5 o clock to make a mess of the kitchen. Because of that we didn't feel comfortable cooking in the dirty and always crowded kitchen.

Staff wasn't very friendly, not particularly unfriendly either.

We had a double room just outside the main backpackers. It was a really hot, badly insulated shed from 3 by 3 metres.

This was definitely the worst backpackers we've been in New Zealand. And we've been in 15+.

Would not reccomend staying longer than 1 night.

• Stayed: February 2012