“Some basic errors took away the shine...”

Botswana Butchery - Queenstown NZ
Ranked #40 of 326 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in Queenstown’s historic Archer’s Cottage with spectacular lake views and signature roaring log fires inside and out, Botswana Butchery is one of Queenstown’s most stylish restaurants. The ambiance is warm and welcoming all year-round, with its roaring log fires, luxurious dining environment and private dining suites to accommodate from two to 30 people. The restaurant prides itself on exemplary levels of service and attention to detail at every stage of its wine and service delivery, by knowledgeable staff. It offers a sumptuous menu full of flavor and is consistently rated as one of the resort town’s most popular restaurants, since opening in August 2008.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I had dinner and for the most part we were happy - however there were a couple of things that let the dinner down and that I would not expect for a restaurant of this pedigree.
I started with the Red Deer Tartare which was absolutely delicious and could not be faulted. Nicely balanced and beautifully seasoned. My wife had the squid which was also really good.
For main I chose the wild South Island Boar - the meat was not that great, a little dry and could have been better seasoned - most disappointing however for me was that the cracking was not at all well done and tasted of burnt oil.
My wife had the fillet steak and ordered the thyme and pinot noir jus - the jus was so badly balanced it tasted like over salted bisto that had been steeped in old thyme for a week - it was just not at all appetizing. It was so bad that we mentioned it to the waiter as we were fairly sure the chef would not want it leaving the kitchen in that state. The waiter just didn't seem to care - we got a perfunctory offer of a substitution and then he walked away. We mentioned it again on paying as we thought the feedback should make it to the chef and again no real response - no offer to remove it from the bill (not that this would have mattered but it would have been a nice gesture) and no indication that the feedback would be passed on. At this price point attention to detail and customer experience should be important to all the staff. The fact that there were two items that were bad and a meat serve that could have been better should matter more than it seemed to. When paying over $300 for a meal and wine at a fine dining venue I would have expected more from the service and a desire to pass feedback on to the chef.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (3,810)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Botswana during our visit to Queenstown, Service was knowledgeable and friendly and all of our steaks were cooked to perfection the sides were also delicious. My girls raved about their Peking duck starter and my apple tarte tatin for dessert was amazing!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Awesome treat. Table at window, great vibe, decor. Watched a beautiful sunset.
Choice of excellent wine. We had Rockburn Pinot. Both had the top steaks. Melted in the mouth and just absolutely delish. Rocket salad with pear blew my mind. Duck fat potatoes on point. Couldn't find fault with anything. A must if you're after a real treat

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Spent three hours here, nestled into a patio table with the water in view, on our first day in NZ after a 15 hr flight and a whole lot of jet lag. Waiter helped us select a nice NZ red. Shared a saddle of lamb and the most exquisite duck fat potatoes. Never have I ever....tasted anything so good. Wait staff was attentive but did not hover. One of our most memorable meals in NZ, thank you Botswana. BTW...check out the bathrooms while there.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Delicious saddle of lamb!

Wonderful service with many smiles, excellent starter of scampi and scallops, and (as I mentioned in the title) we split a delicious saddle of lamb. It’s essentially a rack of lamb t-bone which they slice for you. Yum! Oh, and don’t forget to order the duck fat potatoes. We had a 2016 Wet Jacket Pinot Gris with our starter and finished with a 2016 Doctor’s Flat Pinot Noir.