“Great food, Great service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gantleys Restaurant

Gantleys Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 254 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: European, New Zealand, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne
“Great food, Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had wanted to have dinner here for years, but never managed to fit it in!!! On our last night in Qtown had dinner at Gantleys and the food was fantastic. The service was also excellent and nothing was too much trouble. Great selection of wines and great atmosphere in bar for a drink beforehand. Will be back on next visit to Queenstown.

• Visited January 2013

• Czech first
Singapore
“Good food, atmosphere, and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The food was remarkable! The setting is out of a fairy tale book and they even pay for half of your taxi! What service!!!! This place has character and you will walk away with life memories!!

Visited January 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Amazing food and great service. Free pick up from accomodation allowed my partner and I to both relax and enjoy night. No complaints whatsoever.

Visited February 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Try it at your own risk”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

For our last night in Queenstown, I wanted to take my family out for a special dinner. I did my homework on line and chose Gantley’s based on a 84% ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’ rating. I should have paid more attention to the 16% who rated it ‘average’ or ‘poor’, for our dinner was definitely average.

After being welcomed and promptly seated I had to almost tackle the maitre’d to order a bottle of champagne, after we’d sat around for ten minutes. Although I told the waitress that we wanted to quietly enjoy our champagne before ordering our starters, she was constantly at our table asking if we were ready to place our orders—and I had to politely shoo her away. Eventually we ordered our starters, which arrived quite promptly. I had ordered the tripe with wild mushrooms and truffle oil and thyme jus—which was so overcooked that it looked and tasted like any dried out piece of meat, and was swimming in so much oil that I gave up after a couple of bites. Others were more satisfied with the lobster bisque and the baked brie. For my main I ordered quail stuffed with pork belly—both of which were completely overcooked and tasteless. Others had the fresh fish fillets (tasty but miniscule portions), beef fillet, which was overcooked, and the spinach and ricotta gnocchi, which was bland and mushy.

We shared some desserts—sticky toffee pudding was quite good, and a trio of crème brulees, two of which unfortunately missed the mark (why fool around with something as classical and delicious as crème brulee?).

The servers are friendly and sweet, but not very well-organized or professional. We were waited on by three different waitresses, who didn’t seem to be in communication with each other. One came to take our starter orders, and then another one came by a few minutes later to also take our starter orders, and was surprised to find that we had already placed them. I know that being a waitress is a tough job, but I expect better service at a restaurant that presents itself as being so fancy.

As expected the choice of wines was excellent, although we twice had to remind our waitress(es) to put our white wine in an ice bucket.

On the positive side, the restaurant is beautiful, as is the setting.

All in all a most disappointing—and expensive—dinner. Try it at your own risk.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank blou3bul
Arlington, Virginia
“Romantic dining in an alpine setting away from the Queenstown bustle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Despite the reviews of Queenstown restaurants, this has to be one of the best! I refuse to believe that the hamburger place is the number one restaurant in Queenstown. This is far and away superior for a fine dining experience. Clearly the backpacker crowd is dominating trip advisor. While certainly not cheap this is a quality dining experience. We highly recommend the degustation menu which offers a tasting experience of both food and wine. It's a bit pricey, but absolutely worth it into terms of both the food, the wine and the overall experience. The owner is personally involved in each course and ensures that you're able to tailor the menu to your individual tastes. He will substitute dishes or wines if you prefer. Overall, it was a fabulous evening and we would absolutely return to the restaurant. They recommend you make reservations and when you call ahead you can schedule the complementary taxi ride which is an absolutely wonderful benefit. If you're Not backpacking or looking to get away from the backpacking crowd, this restaurant is an absolute must And well worth the 10 minute complementary cab ride.

2 Thank ltw52