“Be Warned”

and up
Queenstown Segway Tour
Ranked #6 of 162 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a new sensation that’s fantastic fun! Segway tours are a great way to see the town and have lots of fun along the way.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Maybe if I hadn't fallen off the segway my review may be different however I am now nursing a quite serious fractured ankle. I understand that anything that you do carries some form of risk and that you should always weigh out your capabilities to the activity you are about to do. After compleating the training, I asked the guide was this tour on flat ground or on hills (Queentown is quite hilly) as I thought I could manage flat ground. The reply was "yes" it is on relative flat ground. So we began the tour which I was enjoying until we came to a steep grassed area with a zig zagged gravel path (too steep for a straight path). At this stage I stated that I did not want to do this three times at which the guide stated don't worry I will be right in front of you and will catch you if you start falling. Guess what that did not happen. As I was lying in the gravel waiting for the ambulance I asked the guide if anyone else had fallen off and the answer was "yes".

Yes the rest of my family did finish the tour later that day and enjoyed it. BUT I believe that there should of been some honesty in the terrain that was going to be covered and some listening when I said I did not feel I could do it.

On returning home I have been amazed how many stories I have heard about accidents on seways, and the reason for writing this is hopefully to warn others of the dangers of segways and to trust your self not others.

3  Thank helen w
SegwayMan, Owner at Segway on Q, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

This was a very unfortunate incident. Since I started guiding Segway tours in Queenstown in 2006 this was the first time I had to call an ambulance for one of my customers.

As Helen stated, anything you do carries some form of risk. On our safety terms form (which Helen signed) we state ‘By riding a Segway Personal Transporter (PT) you need to be aware that there is a small element of risk, similar to that of riding a bicycle’. Our 2 main forms of marketing, our website and our brochure both inform people about the varied terrain on the Queenstown Tour; ‘The tour takes you a little out of town and up a hill or two…’ I would not have said that we’re on flat ground all the way so there must have been some misunderstanding there.

We do a lot to make our tours as safe and enjoyable as possible and I followed all our documented training and guiding procedures. Helen expressed a general lack of confidence but with a little encouragement she successfully completed all the training and as she said was enjoying the tour all the way from our training area right through to the far side of town.

Having guided this circuit for over 7 years, I have seen numerous customers show some concern before their first descent down a hill. Once new riders have experienced a downhill ride however, they typically realise how easy the Segway is to control even on a slope. Numerous past reviews mention the hills in a positive reference. The zig zag path is sealed, not gravel though there was some loose materials on the path in places. Helen made some similar comments about the hill as she had done in training regarding her confidence. I believed however, that if she followed my instructions, I could guide her through this stage of the tour just as I had done in training. I called her from the back to come behind me for the ride down the hill for advice and assistance if necessary. From this position I could easily slow her down or stop her if needed and this is what I promised. There was little resistance to my suggestion and I certainly didn't force her to ride down the hill. Helen’s speed was well under control going down the hill but she unexpectedly turned off the path onto the grassy bank causing her to lose control and fall. After seeing Helen received the best possible care, I arranged a time for her family to come back and finish the tour, which they did later that evening. They seemed accepting that this was just an unfortunate accident.

We give training and advice on how to safely use a Segway but ultimately it’s in the rider’s control. While this is a major factor in what makes riding them so much fun, care must be taken.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"whole family"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Great fun, highly recommended had a lot of laughs with the group and the tour guide was very helpful.

Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Have always wanted to try a Segway. Queenstown was the perfect place to do it. We did the 2 hour tour with Jenny, she was a great enthusiastic guide. It was the perfect way to see some of the town and gardens. I loved the Segway; it's very initiative and easy to grasp. It's expensive but if your in holiday mode and can justify the cost go for it.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked a 3 hour session and would have definitely extended it if possible. First 30 min is training session which is crucial as you would be seqwaying all the way through the town. It's very easy to control even for someone who doesnt drive or ride bikes. A very fun good way for all ages to see the town and the amazing scenery of Queenstown. Staff are very helpful professional and friendly. Highly recommended!