“Fun”

and up
Queenstown Segway Tour
Ranked #5 of 158 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a new sensation that’s fantastic fun! Segway tours are a great way to see the town and have lots of fun along the way.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Family 4(2A2Ch) Luke our guide was lovely and very patient teaching the kids. Great fun, would like to see some sort of Bluetooth headphones so the guide could give you a running commentary.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

first feeling very rocky on the segway our guide reassured us it would come natural and even at the end of the training session the segway was starting to become a part of me and my wife. we had one close scare and as our guide ponted out earlier it was mine and my wifes wheels touching. we managed to stay up right even with a wee spin and this put us at much rest that as long as we held on and put fiath in the machine it would keep us on. after this we had a wonderful tour of the garden which we hadnt previously explored and a very pleasent trip around the penisular. the last stretch 'home' at the top speed was exceptional, the machine really does zip along leaving a massive smile on our faces. a definete for the firs day in queenstown to get yor bearings and take in the sights. even my wife was smiling which is hard to do these days!!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were really looking forward to this activity that our 10 yr old son had really wanted to do for ages. Training was straightforward and the whole group picked up the Segway riding easily. Off we went on the tour and it was lots of fun.
Accident no 1- The trouble started when our 12 yr old daughter fell off the Segway in the Queenstown Gardens. She was following the guide who was racing around the Band Rotunda and she hit the steps with the Segway. She fell forward and scraped out on the gravel. Luckily it was gravel as had it been concrete the outcome would have been quite a lot worse. We asked for the first aid kit to patch up her bleeding and dusty knee and hands but they didn't have one? No first aid? All those little backpacks on the Segways with nothing like a first aid kit anywhere! So the guide ran down into Queenstown to get tissues and water to patch up the injuries.
Accident no 2 - after regrouping we travelled back towards the Earnslaw gardens and along the waterfront towards the car park where we began. This time the guide took the route winding through the trees and this is where our son came a cropper! At good speed following the guide again, he went over the some tree roots and fell forwards off the Segway and ended up with one leg stuck underneath. I was thinking a broken limb this time but no - strong bones run in our family so he got away with a couple of knee bruises!
Our kids are aged 10 & 12 and are quite cautious kids and certainly not daredevils of any kind. I hate to think what daredevil kids would do? I also think that because kids are light and don't weigh down the Segway, it is much easier for them to flip off forwards as ours did. Perhaps a weight limit of 50kgs or sim should be enforced as mine are tall but skinny and just couldn't weigh it down enough at speed over bumps.
Both accidents happened following the path of the guide and they did not diverge from the trail at any time.
So it was a fun experience but I had to go to the chemist and buy big plasters and a bottle of Pamol for our daughter afterwards and we couldn't go tramping the next day as planned so not
such a great outcome!

2  Thank scenic185
SegwayMan, Owner at Segway on Q, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry these incidents occurred reducing your enjoyment of our activity. The need for a first aid kit on tour has been uncommon and we have kept our supplies in our van at the start/finish point. We will however be taking one with us in future.

I am glad your whole group found training straightforward and picked up Segway riding easily. As part of our training we give customers both written and verbal instructions about risk and hazards. My guide informed me that at the time of the first incident, the girl was looking at her family and didn't see the step. Watching where you are going is important and is most certainly included in our training. Upon review of this incident however, we have decided that this section should be taken at a slower speed to reduce risk of future incidents there.

Taking bumps like tree roots at speed is another hazard for any rider regardless of their weight. While we give advice to slow down for such areas I have advised my guide to make the need to slow down more obvious in areas that are particularly bumpy.

Again I apologise for these incidents you experienced and hope our response increases the level of safety in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

mark this one down as a must do when visiting Queenstown.
top activty.
Best 2 hours in QTN for years.
Lots fun and easy anyone can do.
good way to see the sights of Central QTN on a guided tour.
have visited QTN 50+ times in 30 years and glad finally done this activity.
congratulations Kevin and team.
6+ stars.
$119 well spent
yuo guys deserve an award.
best part hill climbing up and down, particularly going down the zig zag behing Gardens.
also increasing the speed on last stretch home faster you go the easier it is.
Natural!!
top stuff
go buy a segway today!!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We all enjoyed trying out the Segways. We started by training in a gravel car park and were a bit nervous because people on bikes came racing down and a four wheel drive drove up. We got used to the Segways quickly and the balance and movements felt natural. We had to cross a busy road and follow a path into a busy part of town by the lake (past the Minus 5 Ice Bar). We rode where there were lots of people, which I didn't think was a good idea when we were beginners with minimal control. We also had to wait for people to move out of our way. I would have prefered a scenic path by the lake without many people. But the Segways were awesome and our instructor was great.