“Excellent”

Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Sydney
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

A fantastic apartment. The staff were friendly, super helpful and the concierge service was awesome, nothing was too much trouble. The room was beautifully serviced each day and it was a treat to come back to the room each night. We stayed for 10 days and loved it. The only thing we would recommend is to hire a car, even though the shuttle service is available it is only hourly and the walk is nice although not what you want to do every time you go to town.

Room Tip: Lake side level 2
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
North Shore City, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Right from the start of our stay the staff at The Rees were fantastic - a lot of great info and service provided, super friendly and helpful.

Our room was surperb, with great views over the lake and across to the Remarkables. The underfloor heating in the bathroom was wonderful, the bed spacious and comfortable.

We has a rental car but used the Courtesy Shuttle one night, it all ran like clockwork and the driver gave us some great tips.

There was some construction on at the time and a lot of rigging up, however the hotel did it's best to minimise the noise, and we had no issues during out stay.

Would happily recommend and it is really close to town but far enough away that you don't feel right in the thick of things.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake View room on one of the Upper Levels
2 Thank J0hnL0ve
el paso tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel offers very modern and clean rooms. We stayed there for the beginning of the winter festival for a couple of days and we really enjoyed our stay. The bed was super comfortable and the balcony provided a nice view of the lake. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Sebastian was great in recommending places to go and eat in Queenstown and things to do. The hotel has very private parking spaces and the whole area seems very private. The only drawback about staying in this hotel is that the town is a good 5 minute drive walking might take quite some time and I am not sure I would like to be walking at night in the cold so just keep that in mind. But it is an awesome place to stay, I would definitely recommend it.

1 Thank david4billion
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Rees is a beautiful lake-facing hotel with all the facilities you'd expect of one. The staff we encountered are all very professional and polite. Aside from the breakfast, we did not utilise any other facilities, so I cannot comment on those. The buffet spread for breakfast was good and you get to choose a warm item from the menu.

We stayed one night in a Lake View Hotel Room. The room was well appointed and very nicely furnished. The complimentary wifi is speedy and, if I didn't remember wrongly, there wasn't a cap on the usage (unlike many accommodations in NZ). The room was comfortable, warm, and we slept very well. There wasn't turn down service though, which I would have expected given the price. Room size is also somewhat small compared to the other accommodations we've stayed at on this trip. I had to remind myself that it is a hotel and not a bed and breakfast.

The most disappointing thing about the room had to be the view. I had specifically requested and paid an additional amount for a lake view room, only to find that the balcony faces a construction site which totally marred the lake view (see pictures). I'm quite disappointed that the hotel staff that I had emailed to request for the lake view room did not mention this. And I'm not sure if it is because of the effect of the construction site, but I find that the lake view from the hotel isn't a particularly nice one. (We stayed at another property about 1 km away which had a nicer lake view.) I would suggest that the hotel informs guests of this at the time of booking and also consider offering a discount on the room rate until the construction is completed.

Room Tip: Save some money and take a non-lake view room, until the construction is completed.
1 Thank palliechen
Balclutha, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just had the most wonderful weekend away in Queenstown, Stayed at the Rees and so pleased we did, the room was lovely, comfortable bed and nice pillows (a must for my husband!) The staff were so friendly and helpful. They had great local knowledge and made us feel so welcome. The food was great and the free shuttle into town was a real bonus. Can't wait to go back and stay again! Thank you.

Room Tip: Executive suite heaps of space, beautiful view, awesome spa bath with a view over the lake!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at The Rees for 6 nights during our honeymoon in Queenstown. Overall, it was a fantastic choice and we are both very happy with the quality of service.

HOTEL: The Rees is on Frankton Road which is a major artery between Queenstown Airport and downtown. It is situated on the side of a cliff with barely the top visible from the road. There are three buildings: The main reception building (forgot the name of it), the car park, and the Williams building. We stayed in the Williams building. It can be a bit of a maze to get to your room. For instance, we had to enter through the main building, take the lift down to the 3rd floor, cross through the car park, enter the Williams building and walk down through a covered corridor to our room. There are both hotel rooms and apartments in facility. Our room shared an entry way with an apartment which for the most part was fine. There were occasional loud bangs from the other door and often times the outer entry door was left open, something that really annoyed me.

ROOM: We chose to stay in a Lake View Hotel Room (room 3142 to be exact). We enjoyed our view of The Remarkables. My only disappointment was that the balcony was only semi-private. At one point, guests staying in the neighboring room peered over onto our balcony as we were enjoying the view. I don't think that you can see much into the room, maybe only part of the balcony? (I can't be positive because I didn't personally try it.) The bathroom was equipped with underfloor heating and heated towel racks. Also, it was immaculate. I did not have any issues with the cleanliness. The bed was comfortable and the mini bar well stocked. The prices for items in the mini bar were very reasonable. The room heater worked very well. I actually woke up on the first night sweating and had to turn it down.

SERVICE: I cannot comment too much in this area as I didn't utilize many of the facility's services. I know that they offer a shuttle to town. I was told that if I planned to use the shuttle, to contact reception about it ahead of time seeing as they only make trips on a tight schedule and can only accommodate 11 guests each time. We couldn't be bothered with this so we purchased two 7-day unlimited travel bus passes from Connectabus for $88 since it was a bit of a hike to get into town. I also know that they offer a self-service laundry facility where they provide the detergent which is nice. Upon check-out, I realized that there were a bunch of erroneous charges to our room. Someone had charged two dinners, glasses of wine, etc. to our room. We were barely there, didn't utilize any services, and didn't even bring appropriate clothes for fine dining. I told them about the error and the woman at the front desk was very friendly about it and said not to worry, she would look into it. I looked at my credit card transactions when I got back home and saw that they charged the amount and then returned it. I'm glad the issue was resolved fairly quickly.

2 Thank EZ149
Timaru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Great views, luxurious furniture, fantastic restaurant with an award winning chef, and everything you need. Washing machine, dryer, kitchen, ski storage room, underground parking, free internet, gym, and an amazing wine cellar for wine lovers. The best thing about the Rees is the fantastic staff going out of their way to give excellent service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family