“Almost perfect”

Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Melbourne
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My family and I spent 5 nights in a 2 bedroom lake view apartment. We were checked in promptly and the staff were friendly. We were informed on the complimentary shuttle times in and out of the town, however we weren't told that we had to book! When we arrived back at reception to take a shuttle, we were told it was full! This was soon sorted and we were able to go and see Queenstown.The apartment was equipped with everything you could think of - it really felt like a home away from home. However certain aspects of the actual property were a let down. The lack of a spa and pool was disappointing. The biggest let down was housekeeping. Bins would not be emptied and basic things like toilet paper needed to be requested. At one point, I asked for a vacuum so I could clean myself - this finally prompted them to vacuum but the rest of the days - the kitchens or bathrooms were not swept. Overall not a bad stay but attention to detail is required.

Room Tip: Definitely go with a lake view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Nata8ha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. The building itself is quite new, maybe 5 years old and is built to a good standard. The rooms are well appointed and have an exceptional view our across the lake. The staff were pleasant. Unfortunately we didn’t eat at the restaurant simply because we wanted to be in the town itself in the evenings for a bit of atmosphere. There is a free shuttle bus in and out of town(1.8km) but it is a nice walk either on the road or by the lake. I would certainly return if I travel to Queenstown again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Six nights at the Rees Hotel in Queenstown @ $450 per night, with additional charges for unlocking a bathroom, and late checkout! Far from the Kiwi hospitality we know and love, those considering a stay at a high-end hotel like the Rees should read 'the fine print', and read on...

We stayed at the Ree's during April; an executive one bedrooom apartment with lake view.
Our choice of the hotel was primarily driven by its location and many positive reviews. But in my experience, the Rees is the meanest, cheapest, yet expensive, hotel I have ever stayed in. By the time I left, it felt like I had stayed in place with no heart, one that only knew how to ask for more money!

On the positive side, the room and lake views were very nice. Upon arrival, the bell staff told us our room was in fact a two bedroom unit with two bathrooms but that the second bedroom and bathroom were locked since we booked a ''one bedroom unit''. In my experience, however, when staying in a suite or self-contained unit like this (with price of NZD450 dollars per night) there is at least a second powder room or even full bathroom. So after check in we politely asked at reception for the second bathroom to be unlocked. Well, that threw the staff for a loop!

After considerable agitation, some kind of 'manager' emerged from the back office and informed us that the bathroom could only be unlocked for an additional NZD25 per day. He then proceeded to read "the fine print'', telling us in no uncertain terms that our online reservation was for "one bedroom and one bathroom only''. Officious attitude aside, we were astounded at the additional charge to open a toilet in our room! "Isn't NZD450 a night enough?" we thought.

I elevated the case to the hotel's GM for comment and assistance, assuming he/she would be more accommodating of a long-stay, high value guest. This is when the front-desk dance really began! Only after a firm insistence was I given his email address.

So before writing to the GM, a Mr Mark Rose, I checked carefully the Rees website since they were into reading me the fine print. I noticed that in fact our room was advertised with ''bathrooms'' (plural). In my mail to Mr Rose I therefore appealed to him to open the second bathroom. He reluctantly agreed, adding that he would be immediately instructing his web designer to correct the website. Pity that poor guy who got a call on Easter holidays to fix the 'error'.

Next issue is the internet at this hotel. It is very slow and of course the first line of defence from the hotel is ''Queenstown is well below world standard''. This is true to some degree but a download of 0.25-35 Mbs is prehistoric. In addition, they have some limited download/password system in place that meant despite having unlimited wifi during my stay I had to ask three for four times for new passwords.

After complaints, once more having to escalate to Mark Rose, on the day before I checked out, the speed was improved incrementally but still well below what I was able to obtain on wifi in local coffee shops.

For a country of 4 million people to 60 million sheep, the ultimate in customer fleecing came when I went organise check out. I needed one hour more due to an overseas phone call. Well, surprise, surprise. Despite having paid NZD2700 for six nights I was denied one extra hour. Again, after much unnecessary agitation between staff at the front desk and those in the back office, I was informed an extra hour could be granted...for an additional NZD35. I was stunned, and let her know it!

Finally, after further argument, the charge was waived but I was reminded to be out of room, ''no later than 1 o'clock exactly''!

So, all in all, while this place has nice hardware - at a high price - it really stinks when it comes to the software and lack of so-called 'soft people skills' that should be part and parcel of extending a warm, friendly welcome and hospitable stay.

The Rees staff are inexperienced and pre-programmed to collect extra money from guests for anything and everything. One gets the feeling that guests are regarded as ATM machines with staff holding the PIN code. The 'meanness' of this business hugely detracts from the beauty of the hotel itself, the surrounding landscape and all other pleasures and adventures Queenstown has to offer. Sadly, we're in no rush to return.

Room Tip: Best advice is to not stay here !
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
11 Thank HKJR
Troy
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was on tour of NZ and by far this was the greatest place we stayed. Beautiful room with extraordinary views of the lake and mountains. Nice patio to sit on and just look at the beauty. Staff very helpful and friendly. Room was clean and wonderful bed. The only thing some might not like is the walk to the lake front rooms, but it is worth every step! It is out of town a bit but has a shuttle every half hour.

Room Tip: Take the extra walk for a lake/mountain view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed recently for 2 nights. After doing some research on Queenstown I picked the Rees due to its views and price. I wasn't aware however that the hotel is not in the town centre of Queenstown and is a 5 minute drive away, this wasn't a big deal as we had our own car (although parking in town is a little hard) but if I had realised this when I booked I may have opted for something that was a closer into the centre! For those who don't have a car there is also a free shuttle into town, (we didn't use it).

On check in we were given instructions on where to park and a map to our room, this was very confusing and after wondering around in the carpark trying to find the 'Frances' building (there is limited signage) we were ran into a lovely member of staff Will who took us to our room.

The lake view room was large and had a really comfortable king size bed. The room was modern and clean with a generous size ensuite, a couch and tv as well as a big balcony overlooking the lake. The room decor is very plain and I think could do with some paintings or something to give it a bit more personality. The view was indeed lovely, we kept the blinds open at night so we could see the the changing lights of the lake and hills in the early morning.

The first night I was looking forward to enjoying a spa bath, however after getting into the bath I couldn't work out how to turn it on (and as I was in the bath I didn't want to get out of the bath to call reception). It turns out the spa bath is turned on and off by a light switch near the bathroom door - the light switch has 4 switches with only 1 turning on lights, I found this very confusing and a some instructions or a sign would have gone along way!

On a rainy afternoon we went up to see the concierge, and were again greeted by Will. He was very helpful and enthusiastic and recommended a quad bike tour which - we were given outter gear and by the end of it we were completely covered head to toe in mud, it was a lot of fun and a great wet weather activity!

All in all this hotel is nice, modern and clean and would rate it 'Good'. Saying that I think I would try somewhere else closer into town and with a little more personality next time I visit Queenstown.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica D
Reviewed April 25, 2014

beautiful apartments with wonderful views.well equipped clean good size with all amenities.underground car park.
all at reception very friendly and helpful.
provides frequent shuttle service to centre.
will recommend and have no hesitation to book again.

Room Tip: pick lake side views
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank n.rao m
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Lovely apartment with a stunning view. Unlike other reviewers we found the staff front of house and in the restaurant really helpful and friendly. The room had everything needed although the ironing board was broken and the hair dryer - a small travel version - was hopeless too. Only other gripe was bathroom toiletries were not replaced like another reviewer mentioned even though our room was serviced, overall though we enjoyed our stay, appreciated the shuttle bus and would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had 405 which was on a corner upstairs and had. Great view..
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple