“Last of the Summer Sun, superb setting over looking Lake Wakatipu”

The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
sydney
“Last of the Summer Sun, superb setting over looking Lake Wakatipu”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We again find ourselves at The Rees enjoying the perfect view and weather conditions. The staff were as always over accommodating, nothing was trouble to this hard working group of people.
The rooms were cleaned beautifully and they put on perfect weather conditions with 29 deg C reached.
Each time we visit we feel like returning to our home in NZ, the staff always remember you and smile always looking to make the experience the best they can.
The shuttle bus we used a few times, more enjoying the walks to town for brunch - all went on time - pickup was never an issue.
Thanks again to the staff - Roman, Mel, & Ben just to name a few.
We will be back for skiing - fingers crossed for an awesome ski season for 2014

Room Tip: The rooms at the Frankton end are larger and have the best views - look to levels 6 & 7 & 4...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Davem152

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Papeete, French Polynesia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We ran into a lot of full hotels and ended up picking this place. We loved it and didn't mind the extra money after all. The bike rentals were a little overpriced but it was so fun to have them on site. The rooms were spotless and fully equipped. Very nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Kelly K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here as part of a NZ trip. It is a stunning location, gorgeous views across the lake and we stayed in a huge apartment. I had booked a one bedroom apartment, and they gave us a larger one, lounge, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry, dining, and a big balcony overlooking the lake. Service was wonderful, the concierge helped us a lot with recommendations and bookings, and the restaurant is a delight, if a little small. The only downside is the size of the building, it is big, and as such there are a lot of soulless corridors. That said, location is great for a nice lake walk in to the town, and everything else was great.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a high room with uninterrupted lake views, or a room in the front block with good...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian R
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We visited the Rees as part of our honeymoon to New Zealand in October 2013. The hotel was excellent and we were given a lovely room with an amazing view of the lake. The hotel is set a little way out of town however there is an hourly shuttle into Queenstown which is very useful.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rob7488
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Not much that we didn't like about this hotel. Amazing views over the lake and mountains. It's so quiet and peaceful. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 4th floor and it was well appointed and maintained. Loved the fireplace and even better that the staff ensured it came on automatically when the temperature dropped outside, so very cosy. Well equipped kitchen and laundry facilities too.
All the staff were very helpful and polite from the front desk staff and concierge to the wonderful ladies that cleaned the room everyday.
We intend on returning to Queenstown and will definitely stay at The Rees again!
Thank you for a lovely week.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jen B
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My wife and I were thoroughly impressed with the Rees Hotel. It is modern (built in 2008), has a fantastic view of Lake Wakatipu, and the staff was outstanding. From the moment we first arrived, we were greeted pleasantly, told what we needed to know about our accommodations, and headed off to room. When we got there, we were stunned by the view we had of the Lake. The staff helped us get settled by carrying our bags and even helping me get an adapter so I could charge our camera and iPad. The Rees has a shuttle that takes you into Queenstown and picks up every 1 hour, which was nice. The concierge helped us find a good place to eat, and even made a call to Dart River Vallley Safari's to have us picked for our Jet Boat ride the next day. We were very happy with the hotel

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the lake from your room, make sure to ask for a "Lake side room"...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank S
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Overall my stay was great. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and I had a nice view of the lake, the free shuttle into the city center made the location a non-issue, and dinner at their restaurant was outstanding.

However, there were two things I thought strange about the Rees.

The first is the restaurant. At dinner it is a well executed fine dining affair. I've eaten at a ton of Michelin star restaurants and this place is on that level. The service was mostly superb (one night a girl was clearly untrained and just filling a shift for someone else but all the other staff were definitely trained in high end service). I ate there three nights in a row and all the appetizers and mains I tried were outstanding. I didn't drink wine but the list looked good.

Here's the thing - in the morning the breakfast at the same restaurant is TOTALLY different. If you don't book a room with breakfast included, they sort of give you a hard time. They ask you for your room number and look at their list, then they act all shocked if you didn't pay to have breakfast included - and make you feel like you shouldn't be there. "I'm sorry sir, did you KNOW that breakfast is NOT included?" She says with a big stern look, and things like that. It's not like I walked in and started eating the food, I was merely waiting to be seated. I don't generally assume I'm going to eat for free when I stay at a nice hotel. This seems like a nitpick but they really make you feel like an intruder if you wish to pay for breakfast. Plus, when I ordered a cappuccino, it was made very clear that it costs extra, too. Do they think cappuccinos are customarily free anywhere ever? The breakfast itself is an overpriced continental affair with some cereals, cheeses, breads, and things, so maybe they were doing me a favor by dissuading me from a bad investment.

My real issue is the schizophrenic nature of the restaurant - at night it's a high end fine dining treat worthy of a special occasion, and in the morning it's transformed into a continental breakfast at a cheap motel - without service, class, or value.

The other thing I thought strange was I thought they had a spa. The "spa" was just a hotel room with a massage table in it. I did get a massage and my therapist was excellent, but I guess I was expecting an actual spa and not just another hotel room.

All in all it was a great stay but those two things were worth mentioning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo