“The Rees is Amazing in all respects”

The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay at the Rees.

Our two bedroom apartment was very well appointed. The views were beyond description.

We appreciated the exceptional service provided by Jerry in the breakfast room and Patrick at the concierge desk. Every staff member we came into contact with was courteous and helpful.

We are planning on returning when my son graduates from the University of Canterbury. Hopefully in two years.

Please convey my thoughts and appreciation to GM Mark as well. The Sasso restaurant was excellent.

Your staff was impeccable during our stay.

We have told many friends already.

Happy New Year.

Room Tip: The lake views re incredible. Take the free shuttle into Towne Center. Don't be afraid to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,117)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The problem with Queenstown particularly at New Year's eve is too many people and a shortage of trained staff through the town. This is one of the world's most beautiful towns and the rooms and the apartments of the Rees have sensational views. Reasonable sized rooms with good bathrooms and a balcony are around USD 220 and 3 bedroom apartments about $470. The hotel is about a 30 minute lakeside walk from town or about a 5 minute shuttle bus or taxi ride. Queenstown is close to the airport (a $24 taxi) and the Rees is even closer. The only thing that lets the Rees and its restaurant (really good food..try the tasting menu) is the service. They are really an international lot, try hard but are probably poorly managed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Connolly47
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We are given a two bedroom apartment on the 1st floor (i.e., ground floor) which is right next to the walking trail. Somehow we felt a bit exposed to the public and the room is a bit dark, probably due to its layout and lower floor. No access to one of the bedrooms (and no one stays there) but it doesn't really matter to us. I recalled in some earlier review, some fellow traveler commented that the property looks like a "prison" - I have to say I had the same impression when I walked inside the property. But in the apartment it's no prison at all! It's quite chic in terms of design with fully-equipped kitchen + laundry machines. Although the town center is not within walking distance, they offered hourly shuttle bus to Queenstown which is very convenient. The only thing I can complain about is the conceirge - we were driving on Xmas day and we found ourselves running out of fuel and could not find any open gas station on our way back to Queenstown, so we call the conceirge for help to see if there is any gas station operating nearby. The conceirge can not come up with any useful info and the final answer I get is I should just call AA service when I run out of gas... this is surprisingly disappointing but I'll stay here again if I ever visit Queenstown.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My partner and I shared the three bedroom executive apartment with my sister and her family during the Christmas week. We absolutely loved our time there and would definitely recommend The Rees to everyone.

The views from our apartment were spectacular, the apartment was large enough for the six of us (we particularly valued the three separate bathrooms!) and tastefully decorated and appointed. The location was also perfect - close enough to walk or drive into town but far enough away to feel like we removed from the noisiness and busyness of the town.

All of the staff were fantastic - helpful, lovely and friendly. This was from the ladies who cleaned our room, the Austrian waitress at xmas dinner and from Patrick, Ben and Tracy at the front desks who helped us organise excursions, bike hire and our checkout and flight check ins.

The Xmas dinner was beautiful and was exactly what we had hoped for - it was a particularly tough year for us as we lost both our parents in the past year and missed them sharing the Christmas season with us for the first time. We chose Queenstown and The Rees to get away somewhere special and it was perfect. The Universe gave us brilliant weather also!

The only small suggestions are: perhaps a tv in the third bedroom (for teenage boys who prefer being in their own room away from the adults) and a cutting board for the kitchen (there may have been one but we couldn't find it).

Thank you again for helping make our Xmas week a very memorable one. On behalf of my family and I we wish you and the team there a successful 2013 - keep up the great work.

1  Thank Shazza_1965
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed at the Rees two bedroom mountain facing apartment for 7 nights with family. Beautiful property. Excellent service. A little away from town so convenient for those with their own rental cars. There is a shuttle to the city center every hour. Thought had missed the lake view room but the mountain view was quite nice too. There is a walking trail to the lake but there are no places to sit or hang out on the lake side that is close to the hotel. The hotel can consider putting up trails to reach the lake front.

1  Thank rarecommonsense
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I booked the Rees as part of a surprise birhtday treat for my husband (and me!!) in DEcember . I had spent considerable time looking at accomodation in Queenstown, as I wanted soemthing a little"different" with views... and I found the Rees.

On arrival at the hotel we auotmaticallygave it the "wow" as the entrance is impressive, although the rest of the building is somewhat austere (very utilitarian). However, we were not put off at all. Thw hole sturcture felt extremly weel built and safe (coming from Christchurch that was a big bonus for us).
We were greeted by extremly pleasant and friendly staff, who efficently took our details, and showed us to our room.
I had chosen an executive superior with a blacony overlooking the lake and the Remarkables. The room was beautiful, well equiped, with a wonderful balcony, and a spacious bathroom with a spa bath and seperate walk in shower. Considering there are a number of rooms and appartmetns, we never heard another soul!!!!! We slept like babies!!

The hotel restuarant is very intimate, with spectacular views. The staff were very fiendly and extremely efficient (especiall Sarah(? not sure if right name) and Jeremy thank you) . We had breakfast each day, which was included in the price, and meant that we could have NOT just a continental breakfast ,but a cooked one too if we so desired ( we did!!)

The three day break was wonderful, and yes we would return to the Rees, even though it is a half an hour walk to the town....along the lake shore.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LornaChrsitchurch
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked a three bedroom apartment for 7 people, including one baby. The rooms were absolutely beautiful, spacious, and thoroughly clean. It was very handy having a full kitchen available as well as laundry/dryer. Loved the spa bath with a view of the surrounding mountains - they even provide a little bath tub tea to scent the water. It was one of the most relaxing experiences ever, as comfortable as an expensive spa experience you get elsewhere.

Travelling with a baby was no fuss as they set up the cot for us (rented one for $15 from the hotel) including the cot bedding. Of all the hotels I've been at this one is the most child friendly in terms of having no sharp edge furniture kids will run into or expensive vases that require moving etc. The rooms are pretty well sound proofed and my baby slept easily. Unlike some other places I've been to, once you shut the door you cannot hear anything.

There was one time when my neighbour and I both had the balcony open and they had their TV on maximum volume. I called the reception and the staff member was grateful I alerted them to the problem and addressed it straight away. Within less than five minutes I got a call back from the same staff who apologised for the inconvenience and advised she spoke with the neighbours (who by this stage had reduced the volume significantly and shut their door).

2  Thank boolnz