“Really nice way to spend a day. We enjoyed our tour guide, Ian.”

Appellation Central Wine Tours
Central Otago Wine Tours from Queenstown
Ranked #2 of 24 Food & Drink in Queenstown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join this award winning New Zealand Wine Tour Company and discover the wines, history and sights of Central Otago, New Zealand's premier cool climate wine region. Appellation Central's small group wine tours depart daily from Queenstown. An absolute maximum of 12 adults per tour and experienced guides ensure a fun day out in wine country. You will learn about wine appreciation, taste some of the region's great wines, enjoy a delightful gourmet platter lunch and visit the historic town of Old Cromwell. In 2011, 2012 and 2013 Appellation Central Wine Tours have won the Great Wine Capitals national award for Wine Tourism Services and in 2012 won the International Best of Wine Tourism award for Wine Tourism Services.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
“Really nice way to spend a day. We enjoyed our tour guide, Ian.”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Overall, we thought it was a great way to spend a day and would highly recommend it for wine lovers. Good mix of wineries visited and a delicious lunch. Our tour guide, Ian, was great and taught us a lot about the area and the wines.

New York City, New York
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I booked this as a solo outing during a quick weekend in Queenstown in the middle of a long business trip. I was looking for a way to see a bit of the countryside, sample some good wine, and relax. It was the right combination of all three and the perfect way to spend the afternoon. The groups are kept small, the vineyards were great, and lunch delicious. Wendy, an owner of the business and our tour guide, had that winning combination - she was quite knowledgeable about wine and the region and was extremely personable. All in all, a great experience.

Burlington, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic Wine Tour - Really different wine experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I booked this wine tour with a group of friends and this was definitely one of the best parts of our trip. I've been on a few wine tours before, but this one was really different in that we got to participate in a "wine adventure" at one of the wineries. We got to watch an interactive movie about the region and sample wines from each vineyard at the same time. The group really loved this along with the "scent" room where you get to sample different smells you get from different wines. Our driver, Ian, was great as well. Very personable and told us a lot about the area as we drove through the region. He even took us to one of his favorite smaller wineries, and when we tasted the wine we knew why he liked it so much. I would recommend doing the full day tour as you get to sample a lot of wines from different vineyards and the lunch they serve is really great as well. This was also a great value for the money - much cheaper than most of the wine tours I've been on, but offered a lot more than most tours offer.
I also have to add how accomodating this company is. I had booked with a group in advance, but due to other circumstances, I had to change around the dates and the number of people a few times. They really worked with me to try to accomodate my situation and even got us a private tour. They truely know the meaning of great customer service.

Tacoma, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great tour guide, good wineries, and a nice lunch!”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

This tour stops at four wineries, and the guide determines the wineries based upon the tastes of the tourists. It's a little pricier than Nelson's wine tours, but Kirsty is a great guide, the wineries have some quality products, and the lunch platter at Carrick is delicious. It's a classier event, not for young people wanting to get drunk and eat a lot of food. You will learn about the growing, production and tasting processes.

Las Cruces, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
“Just great!”
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We did this tour on New Year's Day - with hangovers. Wendy owns the business with her partner, and took us around. She was JUST lovely. First of all, this wine region is so pretty. Not many places were open for NY day, but Wendy still took us to some great spots. I'd recommend requesting Chard Farm on your tour b/c this is such a special spot - the building, scenery, where it is set on the cliff overlooking the river. We all loved it. Also, there is another wine tour company in town, but Appellation was far more accomodating and responsive via email, answered my questions in detail, etc. I think the van seats about 10 plsu the driver. They are open to taking you where you want to go. We liked the wines at Peregrine too. She took us to Big Picture - it was cool and an interesting business model, but if I had the choice between that and a winery, I would choose a winery. Wendy was so professional and polite. She knew a lot about the region and really made it a very nice tour. My best winery tour experience, actually.