“Fabulous!”

Gourmet Wine Tour from Queenstown
Ranked #2 of 24 Food & Drink in Queenstown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join New Zealands award winning wine tour company and discover the wines, history and sights of New Zealand's premier cool climate wine region, Central Otago. Appellation's small group wine tours depart daily from Queenstown. With our expert guides, you will learn about wine appreciation, taste some of the region's best wines over 2 different wine sub regions. Enjoy an included delicious platter lunch with a glass of wine, and visit the historic town of Old Cromwell. In 2017 Appellation Wine Tours was awarded Gold status under the Sustainable Tourism Business criteria with Qualmark. Appellation also won the 2017 Luxury Travel Guide award and received a 2017 Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I booked this as a solo outing during a quick weekend in Queenstown in the middle of a long business trip. I was looking for a way to see a bit of the countryside, sample some good wine, and relax. It was the right combination of all three and the perfect way to spend the afternoon. The groups are kept small, the vineyards were great, and lunch delicious. Wendy, an owner of the business and our tour guide, had that winning combination - she was quite knowledgeable about wine and the region and was extremely personable. All in all, a great experience.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

I booked this wine tour with a group of friends and this was definitely one of the best parts of our trip. I've been on a few wine tours before, but this one was really different in that we got to participate in a "wine adventure" at one of the wineries. We got to watch an interactive movie about the region and sample wines from each vineyard at the same time. The group really loved this along with the "scent" room where you get to sample different smells you get from different wines. Our driver, Ian, was great as well. Very personable and told us a lot about the area as we drove through the region. He even took us to one of his favorite smaller wineries, and when we tasted the wine we knew why he liked it so much. I would recommend doing the full day tour as you get to sample a lot of wines from different vineyards and the lunch they serve is really great as well. This was also a great value for the money - much cheaper than most of the wine tours I've been on, but offered a lot more than most tours offer.
I also have to add how accomodating this company is. I had booked with a group in advance, but due to other circumstances, I had to change around the dates and the number of people a few times. They really worked with me to try to accomodate my situation and even got us a private tour. They truely know the meaning of great customer service.

Reviewed March 22, 2010

This tour stops at four wineries, and the guide determines the wineries based upon the tastes of the tourists. It's a little pricier than Nelson's wine tours, but Kirsty is a great guide, the wineries have some quality products, and the lunch platter at Carrick is delicious. It's a classier event, not for young people wanting to get drunk and eat a lot of food. You will learn about the growing, production and tasting processes.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

We did this tour on New Year's Day - with hangovers. Wendy owns the business with her partner, and took us around. She was JUST lovely. First of all, this wine region is so pretty. Not many places were open for NY day, but Wendy still took us to some great spots. I'd recommend requesting Chard Farm on your tour b/c this is such a special spot - the building, scenery, where it is set on the cliff overlooking the river. We all loved it. Also, there is another wine tour company in town, but Appellation was far more accomodating and responsive via email, answered my questions in detail, etc. I think the van seats about 10 plsu the driver. They are open to taking you where you want to go. We liked the wines at Peregrine too. She took us to Big Picture - it was cool and an interesting business model, but if I had the choice between that and a winery, I would choose a winery. Wendy was so professional and polite. She knew a lot about the region and really made it a very nice tour. My best winery tour experience, actually.

Reviewed December 4, 2009

I visited Queenstown with my boyfriend and his mother in October, and a few weeks prior to arriving, I tried to book a day tour with Appellation Central for a fun day out. We were on a tight schedule, and due to few people being booked on that particular day, Appellation told us that unfortunately we couldn't get a tour. About 3 days later I received a phone call from Appellation saying that they rearranged some things and could take us out after all!

The day of the tour, Wendy picked us up at our hostel and to our surprise, we were the only people in the group! They came out just for the three of us! Since we were such a small group, Wendy personalized the tour and took us to three GORGEOUS wineries from different areas of the Central Otago. We tried some amazing wines, and had a delicious gourmet lunch (cheese, mussels, dips, breads...soo good!) at one of the vineyards. Then Wendy took us on a side-trip to two historical towns: Old Cromwell (try the chutneys!), Arrowtown (beautiful), and to see the world's first bungy jump! The tour ended up being much more than we expected (wine + history + sightseeing) with Wendy, who was an amazing hostess...she even took us out for about an hour and a half longer than the tour was scheduled so she could show us everything we were interested in!

I am so thankful that the tour worked out, and that Appellation Central made that day happen for us. It was definitely a highlight of our NZ travels and we saw some truly beautiful country. The value was amazing for the price we paid (3 wineries, 5 sight-seeing stops, and an amazing lunch over the course of an entire afternoon...and they'll tailor the trip to your interests). You won't be disappointed!

1  Thank cowtown_diver