“Ultimate Hikes Grand Traverse”
Review of Ultimate Hikes

Ultimate Hikes
Book In Advance
More Info
$301.78*
and up
Ultimate Nature Experience from Queenstown: Dart River Jet Boat Ride and Lake...
More attraction details
Owner description: The only operators of multiday guided walks on the famous Milford & Routeburn Tracks: operating in New Zealand's stunning World Heritage Area, providing range of all-inclusive guided walks from 1-8 days. Trek through rainforests, past mountain peaks and over remote alpine passes on a unique experience without sacrificing comfort or convenience. Accommodation on overnight walks is in luxury lodges, with meals, hot showers and snug beds. All walks include transport, food, equipment and expert guides. Single day excursions must be booked 24 hours in advance.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful experience walking (tramping) the Greenstone and Routeburn Tracks with 3 guides and 13 other walkers over six beautiful, rain-free days. The lodges along the way ranged from comfortable and functional (on the Greenstone) to almost lavish (on the Routeburn in double en suite rooms that are new this year) and all featured hot showers, cold beer and wine at days end. The food was very good, particularly on the Routeburn Track. We are reasonably fit 65 year olds who found the track pretty challenging (particularly the rocky footing) in places, but the guides were uniformly supportive and helpful. We really appreciated doing the Grand Traverse as it provided a gradual introduction to the terrain as we went up the Greenstone Valley followed by the much more dramatic mountain scenery of the Routeburn one day of which is almost entirely above tree line. Not cheap, but well worth the expense.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 months planning a return trip to New Zealand and one of the important activities was to hike the Milford Sound Trek. Ultimate Hikes quickly responded to our request and answered all our questions in a timely manner. It is an expensive proposition, taking this hike, but it includes all your transporation too and from Queenstown, all your meals (which are excellent) and your accommodation and the Lodges are all great places to stay.

We live in a place that has fantastic hiking but this trek is awesome and a must do when you are there.

From the emails to register, to the office staff when we checked in in Queenstown, to the 4 young New Zealand guides who were awesome, the staff at each lodge....it was all handled beautifully.

This was one of those events that will always stand out as a highlight in our lives!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband pushed me to do the Routeburn ( as I am not super sporty) and I was pretty worried that i would really struggle and fall in a heap but I did a bit of training and I must say that I felt safe , supported and in control the whole way with Ultimate hikes. They had 3 guides for our group of about 40 people and they spent time each night explaining exactly what we would be doing the next day , what parts might be harder , what parts would be easier , when to stop and rest , eat , drink.. they just took all the guess work out of it for me which was great as I am not experienced and needed to be guided through it. The hill at beginning of the second day was a challenge but the banter and camaraderie got me through and I was rewarded with a special afternoons I will never forget . We had a perfectly clear sky and the valleys , mountains , lakes , rivers that i walked through that afternoon were like a Shangri-La ....I was converted to bush walking that day! The lodges were clean , comfortable , well designed and the staff and food were brilliant. I'm not usually gushy... but this was all it billed to be and more. ( PS . I am aware that we were EXTREMELY lucky not to have a drop of rain or any wind ..,.so maybe I would have different report if I had walked in howling rain for 3 days!!)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The professionalism of this organisation cannot be faulted and provides a standard other such organisations should follow. The trip is not for the super adventurous and pre my forties I would have thought it soft. If you are over 40 and not super adventurous or under 40 and not an experienced outdoors person this trip is ideal. Our guides Chris and Gina were interesting and interested. The food was quite exceptional.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Other reviews will tell you about the high quality of the accommodation, the exceptional organisation, the excellent quality (and quantity) of the food, and they are all true.

What struck me was that you never get the feeling that Ultimate Hikes are economising at your expense or cutting corners. Everything was smooth but never slick, it always retained a high degree of personality. As a New Zealander I'd like to think that the incredible friendliness and approachability of all of the staff is what you can expect of kiwis at their best, but one of the guides is an Aussie and one of the lodge managers is Irish, so let's put it down to the Ultimate Hikes culture. In any case, it was a world class experience on a world famous hike.

Ultimate Hikes rocks!