“Watching a Bungee Jump in South Island”

AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand
Book In Advance
More Info
$149.27*
and up
The Original Kawarau Bridge Bungy Jump in...
More attraction details
Owner description: AJ Hackett Bungy is the world pioneer of commercial Bungy Jumping. It all started in Queenstown, New Zealand in 1988, and since then they have become an established World Leader in the Tourism Industry. Recognised for an innovative, and “outside the square” style, AJ Hackett Bungy is continually looking towards new ventures and pushing industry boundaries. Their professional crew, high operating standards, training schemes and procedures ensure an impeccable safety record.
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I am surprised this bungee jump is not listed in Trip Advisor & I thought bungee jump originated from here.
According to the website, it stated " Kawarau Bridge Bungy (bungee) is the World Home of Bungy Jumping. " . I was there a few years ago on my return journey from Arrowtown, New Zealand.
Those who were brave went in for the dip. Those who made it got a certificate & a video accomplishing the feat. It was about NZ$ 100 per jump. It was adrenaline booster. I rather sit & watch rather than to go for it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,691)
All reviews
in 241 reviews
"harness"
in 145 reviews

Reviewed May 20, 2014

MAKING A BUNGY FROM A VERY HIGH POINT , To exprience it and enjoy need much of brave to overcome your fraid. However, it is not quiet high.

Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Far tooooo scared to ever try the leap, but we did want to go and watch. The reception alone is a feat of engineering genius, and the walk down into it, with music pumping, sets the vibe well!
We came, we saw, we watched, we chuckled at the looks of terror and triumph. We enjoyed - a lot!!
Oh, and great coffee too :)

AJHackettB, Front Office Manager at AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Hi - thanks for the review! The Kawarau Bungy Centre is a great place to come and watch others Bungy....glad you enjoyed the coffee!

Reviewed May 20, 2014

when I knew I was visiting Queenstown, I knew that I couldn't go without not jumping the famous Kawaru river bungee. My sister and I both did the zip wire to begin with and then it was time for my bungge, I wouldn't wait, buzzing from the zip wire and I had hurt my shoulder the day before but the staff strapped my arm in to protect it for my jump, got set up and out to the ledge, which is the scariest part, them 1,2,3 jump and you feel like your floating through the air, not jerking around just floating, as high as a kite, wanting to go back and do more jumps, it is a must a bungee in NZ

Hi - Thanks for the review. Glad you two enjoyed the Zipride - it is a great warm up to the Bungy. Great that you feel that a Bungy in NZ is a "must-do"

See more reviews
Reviewed May 20, 2014

My partner and I recently spent almost a day with the AJ Hackett guys. We started off with my partner doing the 134m Nevis bungy, which involved getting a bus from their main office on Shotover St to the private property which the Nevis bungy and swing are located at. The Nevis bungy is from a suspended bridge over a canyon, which you get into a little cable car to get over to. That was a pretty cool/scary experience! My partner loved the jump; it was his first bungy ever. We then did the Nevis swing together after that, which was awesome fun. My partner then did the Kawarau bridge bungy, which is 43m and very scenic. He had built up some courage/adrenalin by then so he jumped off that backwards, and loved that one too.

There is a shuttle bus running between the meeting point, Kawarau bridge and Nevis so it was easy to make our way between locations.

So, the good: All of the staff at AJ Hackett were awesome, they were very friendly and really great at their jobs. All were very safety conscious.
The bad: I really don't like to be negative but think this is worth mentioning as a bit of feedback. Unfortunately I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth when I was looking at our photos taken by the AJ Hackett guys from when we did the Nevis swing. I was intending on buying some of the photos because they looked pretty good, but I was being rushed as the bus was about to leave which we needed to get on. So I took a photo of the photos on my phone, I repeat, with the intention of buying them online later (they were terrible quality on my phone). A girl that worked there came up and said in a very accusatory way "I saw you do that!". I half thought she was having a bit of a joke. She then told me I had to delete the photo right now, so I responded with ok, and went into the folder to delete the photos. She then saw that there was more than one photo and told me I had to delete that too - at which point I told her yes I know, that's what I'm doing. Her manner was very accusatory, it could have been as simple and polite as 'sorry you can't take photos, you'll have to purchase them'. I totally understand they're running a business and am not annoyed about having to delete the photos. If there were signs up saying you're not allowed to do that, my (simple) mistake. As a result of her rude treatment of me I won't be paying for the photos now.
Just a particular mention of the absolutely lovely and bubbly lady who was working at the Kawarau bridge bungy who went above and beyond to get us on the soonest bus rather than us having to wait longer. I wish I remembered her name, but she greeted the bus each time it got there and had red hair. Thanks as well to the rest of the amazing staff who do an awesome job!

AJHackettB, Manager at AJ Hackett Bungy New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Hi Kaylee - Thanks for taking the time to provide in depth feedback, we really value comments that allow us to improve any aspect of our operations. We’re glad you had an awesome time taking part in our activities and we will strive to ensure all customer interactions with our crew are consistently positive. Although we do have signage on each computer requesting that customers don’t take photos of our screens, this could perhaps be more visible, so thanks again for your feedback on this.