“Casual and excellent”

Ranked #3 of 101 Restaurants in Invercargill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Had dinner at Louie's on the recommendation of the owner of the B&B where we recently stayed in Invercargill. Comfortable, friendly, good atmosphere. Excellent value, great food and very good service. If we lived in Invercargill we would certainly be regulars!

There are newer reviews for Louies Cafe & Tapas Bar

Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was cold outside and warm and cosy inside! We were greeted warmly by Louie and the service was excellent and friendly. The four of us loved our choices from the blackboard menu, and although the restaurant was busy, we had an acceptable wait for our meals. The food was cooked to our liking - some liked theirs rare and I like mine medium rare. We were all happy with our choices. There was a larger group at the same time and our comfort with the noise level was spoiled by the laugh of one of the diner's which was very like a hyena! Made our visit more memorable. We'll certainly be back for the food and the ambience.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you have not been to Louies Cafe & Tapas Bar in Invercargill then you have missed out on Invercargills best food. Blackboard menu has about 4 choices for each course, Ramsey would certainly agree with that. Food is fresh and regional, staff are friendly and efficient and this is certainly a great spot for a meal for 2 or business meal

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a super place for dinner. However the menu is a little short if you plan a meal out once a week but nevertheless the meal I had was excellent. A nice bar to sit in and plenty of interest going on around you.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

One friday night we decided to try Louies Cafe and Tapas bar. We had to wait for the menu as the menu is written up on a blackboard and gets brought around to each table as soon as the last table has ordered and I guess been served - which can make for a bit of a wait. The night we were there was busy and I found the noise bordering on too much. When you have to shout to be heard when sitting beside a person at a table, then it gets tiresome. Most of this noise was coming from a bunch of girls obviously out celebrating. I would probably eat there on a week night rather than the more busy Friday in future. I ordered the scotch fillet and after a short wait I was treated to absolutely the very best meal I have had in years. The steak was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was mouth watering. Portion size was perfect. The chef came out to each table after the service and I found him to be a most humble and delightful man. All in all I would highly recommend this restaurant. The food was five star and only the noisy interior brought my score down to a four star.