“Well Worth Staying At - Affordable Yet Very Comfortable”

Ibis Styles Invercargill
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was a great place to stay, some wheat hesitant due to the property not having a brand behind it...however it really did surprise me how well the place is upkept and the standards of housekeeping were impeccable, the room was functional and spacious along with warm. It is freezing in Invercargill and being in the property you could hardly tell.

Had a great stay and will recommend to others in the same regard.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Queen I stayed in was great....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IAHManager, Owner at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear JimmySap123

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your kind words.

Yes, it is cold in Invercargill - we have a great heating system that keeps our building nice and warm for days that may get a tad cold.

Thanks Jimmy,

Ram

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel was chosen based on its price and location in relation to the town centre. What a great property and something totally unexpected in a place even as remote as Invercargill. The free wifi and gym access was a real bonus.

I will be back and recommend to others - a thank you to Tess and Margaret for always being welcoming at reception. I had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Choose the larger Deluxe Queen Rooms or 1 bedroom if possible. The difference in cost is not much bu...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear AKL Wantinga

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed the property and hope you tell others about your experience with us.

Thanks

Ram

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was a wonderful place to stay as the location to poly -tech, local shops and available outlets gave me less stress as study is enough in it-self. I felt great with the hospitality from all the staff, which leaves me to thank the cleaners as my room was always left smelling nice and looking brilliant. The room I had was perfect for study as it is set for this purpose. The laundry and games room with a bonus cinema room meant you could have a breather while doing what was needed. Over the three weeks I had a great stay. Thank-you all, p.s. It's what you make it, so have fun and enjoy!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
IAHManager, Manager at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Dean,
Thank you for your wonderful review, which I have shared with our staff. You are one of our guests who have made the most of the various facilities that we have like Games Room, Theater, Laundry, Secured parking etc. I did see that your kids enjoyed the games room and theater the most.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed for one night on a short business trip - it was my first visit to this property.

The location is good - central city and within easy walking distance of shops, etc. Despite the main street location I had no issues with noise.

My first impression on entering my room (a studio on the 4th floor) was that it was very small. The furniture and fittings are all contemporary and clean, with a large wall mounted flat screen TV and basic 'kitchen' facilities including sink, microwave, etc.

The small size causes a number of issues though. As an example - the cutlery drawer will not open when the room door is closed as it is blocked by the lock unit. The only way to get into the cutlery draw is to open the room door. The bathroom is the smallest I have ever experienced at any accommodation. It is effectively a tiny wet room - using the shower means that the floor is then soaked with nowhere dry to stand. There is nowhere for towels, etc, so these were left on my bed. The cupboard/mirror unit is directly above the sink and means that it is not possible to lean over the sink to wash, etc. There was also no plug in my sink, I had to wedge a flannel into the plug hole to keep water in.

Overall this accommodation is let down by being far too small and cramped, which is a shame as the location is good and the rooms are otherwise of a reasonable standard.

There are better local options than this.

Room Tip: Don't select a studio - far too small - and ask for the 4th floor for the quietest rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IAHManager, General Manager at Ibis Styles Invercargill, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Paul R Proctor,

Thank you for your review. I can see that you are a senior reviewer and a seasoned traveller and your feedback is invaluable to us as a small property.

I am very happy to see that the room decor was up to your standards as well as our fantastic location.

Our Studio rooms are 22SQM which is about average for a serviced apartment. However, I can appreciate that with baggage and other items the rooms can feel 'busy'. However, perhaps on your next stay with us - I would recommend you go for either our Deluxe Queen Room or our 1 Bedroom Superior Apartment which are much larger in size for a marginal increase in cost (still cheaper than many other competitors around for a basic studio). We offer a great rate for a practical product a have many options that may suit the individual traveller. Our product is all about Value for Money.

Take care and thank you for your feedback, i hope you choose us again in the near future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit that over looked the main street for 2 nights.
The staff were really helpful and the unit was clean.
The movie theatre downstairs was great for the kids to use.
Unit was adequate but the windows were cracked in the bedroom with wide black tape over some of the cracks and not many opened to allow fresh air in. Our bathroom was tiny.
Our elderly parents had a studio unit and they found the fireproof doors hard to open in the building. They would have appreciated another chair in their room so they both could sit down and eat. Swipe cards used for all floors and doors.
Worst thing was the noise from the street during the night. The locals driving up and down with loud music in their cars all through the night on the Sat. 3am must be when the nightclub shuts 4 doors down the street judging by the people walking on the street!
We appreciate the staff but if you don't like loud noise I would not stay on the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face Tay Street
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear BeachFan1

Thank you for your detailed review of the property, it really helps us improve our own standards taking into account your feedback.

On a positive note, I am very happy to read that the property and the staff were up to your standards and the team went our of their way to look after you. Further, our movie theatre is really something totally unique and I am glad your enjoyed the complimentary use of the facility.

I have taken your notes about small work needed at the property into account and we are working hard to rectify these small issues.

In terms of the fire doors, this is a council requirement and something we are unable to avoid and need it for the safety of our guests. Your would have noted our excellent swipe card system.

We are a central city property, as with any property in the middle of the city noise on weekends can sometimes be an issue. We are luckier than others however this may have been a one off even in the city that caused the disturbance.

Take care and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here over the weekend while visiting friends in Invercargill and going to see Shapeshifter (AWESOME gig) play on the Sunday. We only stayed one night due to having to get back to work, but what a great place to stay.

Lovely and modern, clean and with a nice bit of style to the place. Have stayed in a couple of other places in Invercargill in the past and this is defiantly my pick of the crop. Great location, friendly staff. I really cant find anything to complain about the place. I know where we will be staying next time we visit Invercargill!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fraseryvette

Dear Fraser and Yvette

What a great review our staff are really encouraged by stays such as yours. Our location is terrific for events that happen in the city as we are in the town centre.

We look forward to seeing you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are a bit tight but the decor makes up for this. T.V reception poor and internet access is limited.Bathroom. and toilet feel very small. Location is excellent and near to shopping and cafes. Would reccommed for a business traverler staying overnight will wait before recommending for a longer term stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kerrez

Dear Kerrez,

Thank you for your review and time. I am so glad that you have brought up some valid points that I would like to address as I feel the property has made great strives since your last stay with us in July.

You will be happy to know that we have just introduced the following:

- Flat Screen Tv's with Free-View and crystal clear reception
- High Speed Complimentary WIFI for all guests to enjoy

Our property is one of the best located in town and I am glad you enjoyed the great things it has to offer.

We look forward to seeing you back in the near future.