“Nice hosts, great room”

Ranked #1 of 15 Invercargill B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Nice hosts, great room”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Victoria Railway Hotel is simply charming inside and out.The room we stayed in wasn't just clean but a luxurious en suite. There is a very comfortable lounge with internet; restaurants are just a few feet away. You couldn't find nicer hosts anywhere in New Zealand. Staying at the Victoria Railway Hotel is the only way to see Invercargill. I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the hotel. The service from Peter and his wife couldn't be better. They were helpful, very welcoming, friendly and enthusiastic. The room was recently renovated and very comfortable. We had a delicious dinner there. And we also had drinks in the cosy bar. Highly recommendable. If we ever come back to invercargill we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 2 separate occasions, the first time for 2 nights and then returning 12 days later for 1 night before I flew back to America. I wanted to stay at a hotel that was historical and architecturally interesting with charm and I found all of that and more when I stayed here.

It was originally built in 1896 and then refurbished and updated by 2004 and even with all the updates it looks as though it could still be 1896, yet it had all the 21st century comforts that made my stay so memorable. The exterior looks as though it had been painted the week before and if you look up at the Cupola near the roof you can see the lighted figure of a woman in the window, an historical touch.

Peter met me on arrival and immediately put me at ease with his friendliness. He took me to my room on the top floor and carried my bag which was very heavy. The room was a corner room with lots of windows and although it faced the train station with cargo trains it was very quiet. I got settled in and felt very comfortable, the room was very homey and had a little anteroom for my luggage so it felt quite spacious, the bathroom had a shower only but also had heated towel racks which was a really nice feature and there is internet service provided. There are also portable, electric radiators which warm up the room quickly, it was chilly especially at night.

Peter gave me a map of Invercargill and both he and Rose had suggestions on what to do, I did a lot of walking around town and the map was a tremendous help. The hotel is very centrally located and it is very easy walking to Queen's Park and also the Southland Museum.

At breakfast, Peter would take your order for eggs and toast or if you wanted something else cooked, and the sideboard always had cereal, yogurt and a choice of juices if you wanted a lighter option. They also had many brochures about tours in and around Invercargill and to Milford Sound and Stewart Island.

The first time I was leaving the hotel it was with a number of other guests who were taking a cruise and Peter made all the arrangements for a small van to transfer all the guests to the pickup point at a very reasonable rate.When I stayed there the last night before my return home, I was very concerned about the weight of my suitcases and Peter, who had a small gadget that will weigh suitcases, took the time out of his busy schedule to weigh each of my cases to make sure they fit within the airlines weight limit. I was also able to leave my cases in the bar area which was closed off until it was time for me to leave for the airport and early in the morning he also had a cab arranged to pick me up and get me to the airport, 5 minutes away, in time for my flight.

I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to Invercargill with the warmth and hospitality offered by Peter and Rose at a really very pretty and charming hotel. I know if my travels take me back to Invercargill I would stay there again. It was lovely.

Room Tip: Although it was at the top of 2 flights of stairs, i really liked the front room, 1 bed only, becaus...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Encinitas, California
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed with Peter and Rose before and after our visit to Stewart Island. We would highly recommend this property. They were perfect hosts , looking after our every need. They were a wealth of information too. The room was clean and very comfortable and we were able to store our luggage until we retuned from S. Isle. They have a fully stocked bar on site and we enjoyed the delicious dinner cooked on site and the optional hot breakfast was perfect to get our engines going for the day! Every thing in town is within walking distance, including Burt Munroe's original record setting Indian Motorcycle! The business room (and hotel) was complete with free Internet, printer and large table big enough to spread out maps, etc. There is a washer /dryer on site which helps after a visit to Stewart Island! A huge free car park directly next door is a safe place to leave the car.

Room Tip: We had an executive room on the top floor. Peter carries your bags up the stairs!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent 2 nights at The Victoria Railway Hotel as a base for our trip to Stewart Island. Our hosts, Peter and Rose, made us feel very welcome and did all they could to make our brief stay there good. Our room was comfortable and very clean, and the facilities within the hotel were very good. The location was a bonus. The hotel was easy to find, close to all the local amenities and close to the airport. Peter and Rose even made us a very early breakfast on the day of our flight to Stewart Island. Definitely, a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel on 3 different nights on our Southland/Stewart Island holiday. The hotel is comfortably refurbished, the rooms and bathrooms very clean, breakfast was top class but it was the friendly helpfulness of Rose & Peter that made our stay exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble for them & they both cheerfully went out of their way to help us with travel information & storing excess baggage for us. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New Zealand
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel has many redeeming features that reflect an age gone by. Good examples being the dining room and bar areas, the latter of which has been tastefully refurbished to a high standard and in keeping with the overall character of this heritage listed building.

Our room was comfortable, very clean and of a good standard with a TV, tea and coffee making facilities. The linen was high quality, the bathroom contained a bath with over-shower and has been recently upgraded.

What shouldn't be overlooked was our hosts; Peter and Rose. Nothing was too much trouble and they made our stay so much more special as a result of their outstanding hospitality. In fact we decided to stay for an additional night!

Value for Money: Two thumbs up!

Hospitality? A+ All the 5's and more!

We will be sure to stay again the next time we visit Invercargill.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple