“Wouldn't stay there again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Birchwood Manor Motel

Birchwood Manor Motel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Invercargill
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Wouldn't stay there again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I travel a lot throughout NZ and I found this motel to be one of the most expensive I have ever used.
The decor and furnishings are dated but my main gripe would be the cost of the breakfast. It cost as much as a 5 star hotel for a bowl of cheap cereal and 2 slices of homebrand bread!
I have stayed in Invercargil before at the Quest and will go back there in future for a higher quality room at a cheaper price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Birchwood-Manor, Owner at Birchwood Manor Motel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
We are disappointed this guest did not enjoy his/her experience at our motel.This is a very rare experience for us and in fact guests regularly compliment us on the comfort and quality of our units.
The majority of our guests are from the corporate sector and many enjoy our breakfast and indeed compliment us on them and the choices given.The ingredients for our breakfasts are all of high quality and are of reputable brands brought at our local supermarket.There is a personal effort made by us to ensure the quality of the cereals and other foods.We consider the cost of our breakfast more than reasonable and in line with many places we have stayed ourselves, including 5 star hotels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Warkworth, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Yep a very nice stay but still the stigma about motorcycles and black jackets.Owner rushed in to check we hadn't taken or damaged anything as we were riding out.However -very nice units and very nice people to stay with.

Room Tip: heaps of safe parking
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive comments about our motel and us as hosts.
We really enjoy the Burt Munroe weekend which is a great event for our city.
We have no problem with the black jackets or our guests integrity.
We were very busy that weekend and needed to work smartly to prepare the unit for our next guests arrival.
We are happy to welcome all bike enthusiasts to the Burt Munroe weekend.
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed at the Birchwood Manor Motel in May. The hosts David and Sue were so very welcoming and helpful the moment we arrived. Nothing was too hard for them.
The room we booked was the Jacuzzi one, and we throughly enjoyed using it after travelling miles. The only drawback was that the room was located up stairs, and since I suffer with Lupus, I found it a bit hard to climb the stairs. I should have asked about being moved, however the motel was full, and I felt I couldn't. The booking engine should state whether the room is downstairs or upstairs. This is the only gripe, and something I should have followed through. All and all a lovely homely motel with happy hosts that go the extra mile. We would definately return.

Room Tip: ask whether the room is upstairs or downstairs
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Palmerston North, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

David & Sue were true hosts. I travel a lot and can honestly say this is the first motel I stayed at were the hosts made me feel like a guest staying in their house. David went out of his way to check on my (which had been delayed) so that he could collect me. The room was clean, warmed up (before I arrived!) and everything was well presented and appointed with all one needed for a stay. David even went out of his way to drop me off at my meeting venue - a gesture I very much appreciated. Thanks guys - I will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

Hosts very friendly, charming place ... to return and enjoy. I recommend it. Stella (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

The owners, David and Sue, are great hosts. Very nice suites, well equiped, clean, quiet and comfortable. Excellent location close to town center and public pool. One minute walk from grocery store.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jean-Pierre_Quebec
Birchwood-Manor, Owner at Birchwood Manor Motel, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Thank you for your very positive review and we are pleased to be able to accommodate your colleague with us at the moment.It was our pleasure to have you as a guest.
Christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

I've been coming back to the Birchwood for 6 years or so.

It is probably the closest motel to the centre of Invercargill, and handy to many facilities.

While on a main road, the building at the front shelters the units form any noise.

Units are spacious, many have separate main bedroom from living area. And the beds are very comfy, I always sleep like a log here

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business