“Lovely motel”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Invercargill
Brisbane, Australia
“Lovely motel”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed at the Balmoral Lodge for one night and really enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and helpful upon check-in providing us with a town map and gave us recommendations about where to eat. Furthermore the motel room guide contained an extensive menu list with a several of the restaurants delivering directly to the motel. The room was very clean and spacey and the bed extremely comfortable. Car parking is directly outside the room too. The highlight of my stay was the motel owners cat. Very friendly and cute. Great stay, will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tauranga
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the Balmoral Lodge some 7 years ago. I remembered the friendly staff, the very large comfortable rooms.
Have just spent 2 more nights there and nothing has changed. The motel may be a little dated, but this is reflected in solid rooms, good heating, and comfort. It was very cold in Invercargill over the weekend (hailing) and I walked into the room and was so appreciative of the radiators pouring out heat.
Very good value for money.

Room Tip: Tell the owners about your party and they have different rooms for every need.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The people who front the counter and other general staff are very friendly and went the extra mile to make my daughter and I very comfortable. They were helpful with general knowledge, and very kindly let me have a late check out. The motel was very clean and lovely and warm on a wild winter night outside.
If I get down to Invercargill again, this motel would be my first choice.
Oh, yes, handy to mitre 10's cafe with free wifi.

Room Tip: Although on a main road, the room was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Toddhunting
Chobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We are a family of 4 with 2 young children and had to visit Invercargill recently for a couple of weeks from the UK. We needed somewhere spacious and comfortable for us and the kids to settle in on our long tour. We had a 2 bed unit which was really spacious, modern, clean comfortable & quiet. We found that having a flat screen TV in each bedroom and the lounge a real bonus. As it was winter I was a little concerned after our chilly experience in Christchurch that we would be cold here also but it's so toasty that we were constantly turning the thermostat down! Everything you need is here and it is very convenient for parks, swimming and the city. The Balmoral staff are very friendly and helpful, it just made our stay very enjoyable.
Thank you again and I would recommend The Balmoral Lodge to everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jo-anne H, Manager at Balmoral Lodge Motel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We really appreciate hearing such great comments. We hope that we may see you again.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I don’t get to Invercargill very often, given the far-flung proximity of my home town at the other end of the “other” island. When I do, sadly it is only for business with hardly enough time to get down to the local supermarket for a couple of dozen Bluff oysters. A heinous crime of omission if missed.

However having somewhere like the Balmoral has given me second thoughts about dragging the Boy down here for a few days to explore the area and of course, eat some oysters.
I have probably stuck my head on the pillow here half a dozen times in as many years after my good mate and South Island-based work colleague introduced me to the 38-room motel.

If there was check list from your tutor at an advanced course of ‘What makes a great Motel - 101?’ then the Balmoral and Adam and Jo-anne Harris were probably the benchmark for it.
The list is long - Generously proportioned rooms, cleaner than clean interiors, wonderfully large bathrooms with excellent showers and spa baths, comfortable furniture and a decent desk area for a bit of work. It goes on... In fact this last trip we were about to head out for dinner after a long day on the road when we decided to pick up something to cook ( and yes, oysters were involved) close the curtains to the wind funnelling up Tay Street, and settle in for a night in front of the television. Let me tell you there are not many motels that I would do that in.
Yet it is not just the obvious elements of a stay that the Balmoral has down pat. It is more than that. Adam and Jo-anne Harris just “get” the personal side of this industry. They are the most obliging people in a business where owner/operators have more often than not forgotten the meaning of the word Hospitality. There is a strong element of that good old fashioned South Island honesty, forthrightness and humour and in addition to that they will help you with anything at all.

These are the reasons that my friend keeps returning and why one day I will be dragging the Boy 1633 kms to stay here and of course, eat some oysters.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

The Balmoral was a little gem. The staff were great & our 2 bedroom apartment was huge. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2012
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Enjoyed a great spa room for our wedding anniversary, clean tidy and warm, the cookie time biscuits are a nice touch. Spa bath is great, easily fits two people, unlike some other hotels we have stayed at. Good location, handy to town.

Room Tip: Well worth paying extra for the spa bath rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple