“Wow!!!”
Review of Ascot Park Hotel

Ascot Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Invercargill
Reviewed May 2, 2014

What a fantastic place - was not expecting anything half as good when I booked this accommodation. Although even the booking service was great - I had some trouble with the online booking system & I sent an online inquiry & the response was very prompt.
The hotel was lovely, well maintained, quiet, warm and a lovely atmosphere. The room itself was equally as impressive - the ensuite in itself was bigger than some hotel rooms I have had. The beds were comfortable and everything in it was clean and modern.
I shall be recommending this hotel to anyone traveling to Invercargill and I think it might have just topped my list for hotels stayed in in NZ - in fact the only one that I think of that equaled this as far as room quality goes cost me three times as much as the room at the Ascot Park.
My only complaint would be maybe the reception staff could have been a bit more helpful - we were unaware that there was parking at the rear of the room and it meant that we had to carry our bags to our room ( I noted after that there was a luggage trolley and it would have been nice if the reception staff could have offered us the use of it) and then go back out into the rain and cold and move the car that we had already parked in another carpark. There was no friendliness or attempt to be helpful when I checked in which was not in keeping with the rest of my experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
ascotpark080, General Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you for this review and most helpful comments on our property.
It is an unexpected plus that most of the Hotel and all of the Motel rooms have car-parking either outside or close to their rooms.... not so good if we don't communicate that!
It is a true Autumn day here today, no wind, clear skies and a tad chilly.... great if you want tp go for a walk in Queens Park and see the Autumn colours!
I hope that we see you again in Invercargill!

There are newer reviews for Ascot Park Hotel

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Yet another welcoming and comfortable stay at the Ascot...
Everything I need - a home away from home.
Warm, modern, tidy room.
The best service I have ever recieved in a hotel. Resurant bound to make me fat someday :) cant get enough of the great menu, and impecible service.
Thanks.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
ascotpark080, General Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thanks for this great review. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warm Regards

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our studio was in the older motel strip but was very nice. We had a large room with a kitchen. There was also a newer hotel on the property with a pool etc. There was parking right in front of our door and a guest laundry just a few doors down.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting this review. I trust you had a great visit to Southland.!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

stayed for a a work conference and it was great- yes a bit old but very clean and tidy, and everything I needed, staff were warm and friendly- always! from the cleaner to the reception staff Wonderful food for a vegetarian fantastic lunch simple and extensive salads really yummy I would definately come back with family for a holiday

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
ascotpark080, General Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for posting this great response. Some significant upgrading planned for the Motels this year. Look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I liked this hotel. Spacious rooms and although not terribly modern it was a comfortable stay. Car parking right outside your own access door was very convenient for loading and unloading luggage. The other door took you straight into the hotel. We had a lovely dinner here- faultless. Breakfast was good too. The only downside was the it was one of the only places in New Zealand that we were unable to get any Internet connection at all. Although the receptionist was helpful the situation could not be remedied.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
ascotpark080, General Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for this positive and informative review. I am most disapointed that you could not get any internet signal. We provide 250mb per day of free internet in the hope that our guests will get to use it....not helpful at all if we cannot deliver.
If there is a next time I would be happy to personally ensure we delivered in this area!
Without this feedback I would have not have know there was an issue.
Thank you!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here for a week in jan for work & may Say its a very well run Establishment !
From the time of check in to the ladies at reception the the staff in the Bars & Restaurants make one feel at home . I stayed in the older section on the right hand side which have a small kitchenette & bathroom & Toilet . I did like that there is two access to the units with nice views & a small golf course write out the front !!
Other then that i ate most nights in the sports bay about 50 metres walk ... & the meals & staff were all excellent !!.
I would recommend this Hotel /motel & bar & Restaurant to anyone staying one night or a week !!

Room Tip: Grab a few local things like some bread & butter for some toast if you like a continental break...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. It is great that the team were able to make you feel welcome.
The motels in which you stayed are being upgraded to a good standard this year. Should you return again I think you will find them looking better than ever!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Unfortunately we only had a one night stopover here, I would have been quite happy to have stayed longer.

The rooms are a little dated but they are well equipped, clean and spacious, much bigger than many we encountered on our tour. This is a motel so we were able to park right outside our room and loading and unloading the suitcases was simple. The grounds/gardens of the hotel are well kept and compliment the hotel wonderfully, it's like a little oasis.

We were not too impressed with Invercargil and from this point of view one night was quite sufficient but I would happily have stayed at this hotel in all of our stops.

We booked a table in the restaurant and had a lovely dinner, we then retired to the bar where we felt relaxed and comfortable. This was one of only a few places we visited where you could get a decent pint (handle) of beer and it was reasonably priced too.

All of the staff that we encountered were professional, helpful and friendly.

We would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this great review. Sorry that Invercargill did not live up to expectations. I would like to think that we can assist those visiting our city with some good ideas about what to see and do..... Sometimes I think that locals are the worst at sharing what makes their city great!
Look forward to seeing you in the future.
Best Regards