“Excellent service and accommodation”
Review of Ascot Park Hotel

Ascot Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Invercargill
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was in Invercargill for work and my flight home from Invercargill was cancelled. Air New Zealand put me up at Ascot Park hotel. Ascot Park staff picked the "stranded travelers" from the airport very promptly. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted very warmly by staff, who very efficiently accommodated us. The rooms were well appointed, recently redecorated. My suite had a separate bedroom, lounge, full kitchen and bathroom with spa. Very comfortable and quiet accommodation. The room service was prompt and food excellent. All staff were very professional and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David2111
There are newer reviews for Ascot Park Hotel

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent 3 nights in the motel and 3 in an apartment. My partner arranged a dinner for 18, to celebrate his 'special' birthday, during our stay and everything went according to plan, and far better than imagined. The staff were so friendly and helpful that we were sorry to say goodbye. The food was excellent at all times and nothing seemed too much trouble for anyone.
Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank 331ChristineE
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here with 5 other colleagues from work. We had our own rooms which were very comfortable and well appointed. A covered swimming pool and exercise room are available. This hotel is all on one level, making access to all areas easy. The restaurant meals were very good and the service was also very good. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2013

No one from our neck of the woods goes to Invercargill . Te Anau is as South as anyone would venture as a tourist from India . We had to spend a day at Bluff for the Shark dive and decided to book the motel .

reasons for booking

1] very forthcoming response on the email , we were booked instantly without even divulging credit card numbers .
2] the rates for a family unit were very reasonable
3] seemed to be placed in a quiet corner of Tay street - the main road . No problems if you have a rental car

Reasons for recommendation

1] Very helpful front desk staff . The shark dive got cancelled because of high gales and they did their best to console and humour us with alternate sightseeing plans [ we had made none ourselves ] . It was crashing disappointment as 5 years ago a very similar weather cost us the Shark Dive at Gaansbai [ South Africa ] . Full marks to the very friendly and helpful staff .
2] The room was very comfortable and the car could be backed right up to the front and back door .
3] We had to make many distress calls to the Shark Dive Operator at Bluff trying to salvage a ruined programme somehow [ the next day ] . The motel did not charge us anything for the calls probably sensing our hopeless predicament . Greatly appreciate the human touch in such a huge hotel where bad weather is far more commonplace than clear skies .

2  Thank dranujkiran
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stay at the ascot Park hotel every three weeks while on a business trip, travelling most of the lower South island.
It is by far, the best hotel I have stayed at, and because it is so good I often opt for two nights here instead of staying in Wanaka.
I always stay in the new wing, room 100 or similar. The rooms are large, warm, modern and with everything I need. Good sized office desk, plenty of plugs etc. The beds are very comfortable and the unit as a whole has a great layout.

Although the room is fantastic, the thing that always brings me back is service and the resturant. The food here is 5 star +! Such a surprize on my initial visit, a very pleasant surprise. Fish of the day with pan fried scallops, vegetables, mussels all for $28! Although the resturant is dated and could do with a more modern look, the service is impecable and food delicious, fresh, immmaculatley presented. They will change anything you like and often dont charge for this luxury.

My room has a large seperate bathroom, complete with shower and spa bath, heated mirror etc. Appliances- ie iron, kettle and toaster are all known brands and good quality.
Room has two lcd tvs- One in the bedroom and one in the living area.

The complex has everything you need all under one roof- bar and resturant, conference facilities, mini golf course :), gym, swimming pool, filtered water etc.
I ALWAYS look forward to staying here and a lot of other people must feel the same as it is often out of vacancies- despite its large size- so book in advance to secure a good room.

Room Tip: the new wing- rooms 116-97 is the best if you want modern luxury. Definetley try the resturant, its...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2013

this was a bit of a comedy show trip. the first prob came when i went to use the laundry - was given the wrong tokens and broke the machine. took 25 mins before i could do my washing. I gave very clear instructions re an upgrade to a spa unit for our second visit 2 days later but they had forgot. restaurant food is patchy. they did very good oysters but the chicken livers were v average. the rosti was so dry it was was like fried cardboard and the bacon fatty . it had an awful beetroot jus which was just horrid. my partner said his caesar salad was salty. the gingerbread pudding was very dry. however the oddest moment came when my partner asked for a tap beer. it came out v flat. the waitress said "we have a problem with the gas but the beer is ok'..." no it wasn't.!! She took some convincing but she finally replaced it with a bottle of the same brew which amazingly sported a very fine head. Her badge indicated she was "in training' hopefully she wont be getting out anytime soon. Overall a good venue with lots of amenities.. A little effort and it could be great.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
ascotpark080, Manager at Ascot Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

I took the time to respond directly to this reviewer due to the constructive nature of the feedback recieved.I thanked her for the great feedback in the first instance and apologised for our downfalls in the next breath!
It would be great to get it right all of the time but not always the case. I was able to take these comments back to my team and to use them as real examples of how we can improve our service.
Thanks once again Trip Advisor for giving clients a place to express their views!
Peter Ridsdale
Manager

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We recently spent a night at The Ascot and were very impressed. Last time we stayed was at least 20 years ago. We stayed in one of their newer apartment style rooms which had internal access to the restaurant and bar which was great as it was cold outside. We arrived rather late but as the restaurant is open until 10pm, this wasn't a problem. The food was beautifully presented and as good as some top class restaurants I have been to. Next morning we arrived for breakfast just after 9am and they already had the vacuum cleaner out - we didnt realise breakfast finished at 9. The lovely lady on the desk was very accommodating and we were able to order from the a la carte menu. Only disappointing thing about our whole experience at the Ascot was the hard poached eggs. Overall....fantastic and will definitely be my choice of accommodation when I return to Invercargill.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer apartment style rooms.