“Restful watching the waves”
Review of Dunedin Beach

Dunedin Beach
Ranked #27 of 112 things to do in Dunedin
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Some delightful cafes along the St Clair beach front where you can sit and watch the waves. Not too far from the city centre and a good place to go and just wind down for half an hours brisk walk in winter.
Summer would be spectacular.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Was stormy but nice cafes here. Walk along waterfront to salt water pool. Quite spectacular when the waves are up. Worth a trip out from the city.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

The visit to the beach was an extra kind service of our bus driver to us as he told us that when in Dunedin we must also take a look at the beach :-) It's a peaceful beautiful beach with awesome waves and background. Due to the rain, it created even a romantic atmosphere in our photo's under the umbrella .......

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had a quick read of other reviews before I wrote this one as it's interesting to be reminded of how NZ strikes tourists. I emigrated her to Dunedin 6 years ago from England, so my reviews tend to be English-centric but with a tiny knowledge of the country now.
This beach would surprise most English people, I think. It's vast and almost always empty and exceptionally clean. No parking fees either. Having said that, it's not like an English beach in terms of facilities for families. There are none, basically. It's like I imagine visiting a beach in the 1950s would have been in England (I'm not that old, so that's before my time). There is one cafe, but I doubt you'd be able to afford anything in an NZ cafe if you have a family.
In the summer there is an open-air saltwater swimming pool. I went last summer with daughter and it was the only place I've found in NZ that was packed! Way too many kids and screaming adults for my taste, so that was a disappointment. It's probably because the seawater here is basically too cold to go in even in the summer without a wetsuit.
This is a superb surfing beach.
So, worth a visit? If it's hot and you want to take the kids to paddle and play in the sand then yes. You could spend a day here for free and have a spotless beach and pure clean (freezing) water. All the beaches around Dunedin are like this--empty, clean, desolate, awesome (and no facilities)

1  Thank LadyMol
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Lots of waves here! Quite scenic. We had lunch looking out over the ocean. Must have been high tide since the water crashed up near the top of the rocks. There are several cafes for meals and coffee.....but not much else.