“Fish can't get fresher than this!”
Review of Plato

Plato
Ranked #9 of 353 Restaurants in Dunedin
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: .
Wetzikon, Switzerland
“Fish can't get fresher than this!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although hard to find, it was worth the search! Beautiful fish, exotic combinations and very friendly service. We almost couldn't manage the big helping of fish, though!

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious seafood, quirky restaurant”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We walked right past this place the first time, and then had to back-track to find it. It's not easy, hidden under the road & footbridge, in quite a down-at-heel part of the town. We'd booked here on a recommendation from a friend, and we weren't disappointed. The interior is incredibly quirky, with lots of bric-a-brac decorating the walls, which I think is required as it doesn't have the best outlook.

The food was exceptional. We ordered a tasting plate for starter, along with three bluff oysters (for me). The tasting plate had braised octopus, fried crispy squid, smoked mussels, smoked mackerel, blue cod cakes, paua patties, ceviche and, a bit randomly, pork terrine on it. All delicious. The Bluff oysters were served with shallot vinegar, my favourite.

For our main, we had brill curry and elephant fish with kelp crust. I think I made the wrong choice with the elephant fish, but I hadn't tried it before. The brill curry was delicious though. The sides we chose were also very good, and all dishes catered towards me being gluten free, with the exception of the paua patties, which the husband happily ate.

The wine list was very good - I enjoyed a couple of glasses of Pinot Gris. The beer on tap was an American IPA that was nice too.

The service was good, not impeccable - the drinks were a little slow to come to us, but they did cater well for dietary requirements, regularly making enquiries to the kitchen as to which dishes were OK for me to eat.

I'd go back again, and I'd recommend it to anyone in the area.

• Visited March 2013
Wanaka, New Zealand
“Finally some *real food* in my plate!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I live in a small town of Central Otago. Coming from Europe, I always miss the culinary diversity that Europe offers. Restaurants in most small towns of NZ are unfortunately too often of low quality and the menus are very predictable - to not say completely boring.

Dining at Plato in contrast was such a refreshing experience! The number and variety of dishes on offer is simply amazing. They serve dishes using various fish and shells, with some unusual options such as skate, flounder, octopus, and unusual meats such as sweet breads.
It was really hard to pick "only" one entrée and one main!

We found the entrées very generous in size. My seafood chowder was simply perfect: great balance in flavours with nice big chunks of fish, shells, etc.
My partner had the fishcakes, perfect too.

For my main, I opted for the octopus (an entrée, but definitely big enough to be a main!) with basil, tomato and baked prociutto and ordered potatoes on the side. The potatoes were the only thing I didn't like throughout the evening. They had no taste and seemed to be water-logged. The octopus were just on the cusp of being a bit over done, but really, still a delight. And the various flavors of the dish were very harmonious.
My partner ordered the dukkah-rubbed tuna steak, with sushi rice and wasabi aioli. A surprising combination (I just love the daring matching of the japanese and oriental seasonings) which actually worked quite well. The wasabi ailoli could maybe have been more pronounced.

For dessert I was unfortunately too full to order anything, but was happy to taste my partner's choice of steam pudding with vanilla ice-cream, whipped cream and caramel sauce. And oh my god... I mean it is not hard to make a good caramel sauce... but this one was simply perfect. The rest of the dessert just as much!

The service was attentive, professional yet relaxed and we enjoyed our waiters jokes. We felt like we were treated as regulars (and wish we could be!). It is also great to be able to experience great dining without feeling out of place wearing trainers :)

It is not cheap but totally worth it (3 entrées, one main, one side, one dessert, one glass of red, one soda = 150$).

Would definitely recommend to anyone who loves real food, likes to be surprised, who is sick of the ubiquitous salmon or blue cod, and who likes a quirky decor!

• Visited April 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

You cannot judge a book by its cover and Plato is an example. The restaurant is located in the old harbor district in an office building. So if external image is your highest priority, Plato is not for you. Our server was native to Dunedin and provided local color in addition to great service. I shared the delicious sea food platter with my sister-in-law. It had many of Plato's specialties on it. My wife had the cod coated with sea weed. It was moist, tasty and prepared according to her food allergy requirements We ordered green beans and vegetable salad as sides. The restaurant provided two complimentary salad sides - so we had more than enough food.

• Visited April 2013
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Strange But Good!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We visited Plato during recent tour of NZ. Location in Dunedin is rather out of the way, unlike some other coastal cities, they haven't made much effort to reinvigorate their tired old harbour area. We went to find Plato having seen it recommended in Lonely Planet, but the outside gave us some misgivings, so we wandered off to a nearby bar for a beer and a rethink. Finally decided to go for it, and very glad we did. The interior decor was er eclectic bordering on weird, but there were a good few diners present and we got a table without any drama. I notice one or two other reviews have commented about the service, I thought it was just about OK, staff rushing about a lot and forgetting the odd thing. However when the food is as good as the meals we had, you can forgive an awful lot - suffice to say we both enjoyed superbly prepared food, and washed it down with some great Emersons beers. A little more expensive than others in Dunedin, but justifiable for the quality of the food.

• Visited February 2013