“Great service friendly staff”
Review of Huntsman Steakhouse - CLOSED

Huntsman Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Queenstown
“Great service friendly staff”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The steaks are excellent.I could not fault the service. the range of beers were excellent for an establishment of this size. the unlimited salad bar is a great idea especially if you have kids with you. They can tuck in while you wait for your steaks to be cooked.

Visited November 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty Feed”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Went there for the 1st time for my partners birthday, it was great.
Friendly staff gave us full attention with a big smile all night. I got the blue cod and I found it delicious. My partner got a steak of course, rib eye and it was cooked to perfection.
The salad bar had plenty of fresh tasty selections, loved the dressing :)
We left with full bellies and smiles on our faces.

• Visited November 2013
Vernon, Connecticut
“Good steak”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My son and I went out late for a meal. We knew it was late for an off-season night. We found the Huntman's open. Even though it was only about 20 minutes before they closed, we were greeted warmly. Being aware of the late hour, I wanted to keep it simple for them. We both ordered a "blackboard" steak special. So, I can't comment on the salad bar. But, both our steaks were very good. Service was quick, and several times the cook (who may be the owner?) came and asked how was the steak. We really had nothing to complain about, and let that be known. I don't understand how people can complain after their meal when it can be corrected during their meal. In any event, we both enjoyed our meals, and appreciate the friendly service so late at night.

• Visited September 2013
PeterBDunedin, Owner at Huntsman Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Kia Ora and thank you for your review.

I really appreciate your comments - we try very hard to ensure that our customers are satisfied and like you I am puzzled as to why people won't tell us if they have a problem and at least give us the opportunity to try and fix the problem
Brisbane, Australia
“Wordt meal on the south island”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Not a good dining experience, $15 steak at a $34 price, I've had pub meals better, my Sons fish and chips were terrible, chips were soggy and soaked in oil. The salad bar was pathetic. Even with an entertainment voucher, way over priced for what you get. I was asked numerous times how my meal was, but as I don't like confrontations, I smiled and said ok, but couldn't wait to get out of the place.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Tony H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Frankly I am very puzzled - as you say in your review you were asked on several occasions as to was everything OK. I personally attended to you when you settled your bill and my recollection is that the conversation was friendly and cordial. As you had an Entertainment Voucher you filled in a written evaluation for us and I note that you rated us a good in all categories so this makes your review all the more surprising.

I have received the following feedback from another customer via our website:

"We were visiting Dunedin for a rugby tournament. On our last night we visited The Huntsman. Greeted warmly at the door we were treated to a great steak experience. My three boys 13, 11,8 years were very pleased with their meals and "locked this place on". Something we do when out dining if 4 out of 5 enjoy their meals. Very caring service, dated but pleasant surroundings and a little bit of Neil Diamond playing. All n all we enjoyed The Huntsman and I for one would and have done recommend it to friends"
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Did someone order some grease?”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was appalling. 'Steak and kidney' - imagine what you might get, maybe a juicy steak with kidney, mushrooms and onions, some chips on the side, a touch of salad perhaps? No no nooo, instead it was a small bowl, standard mash lining the bottom and layer of stew (rich with peas and corn pieces) lain over top. But maybe the steak meal might be an improvement? Ha. If the open steak burger contained half as much meat as it had greasy oil and butter, it might have been ok. But it didn't, and not even the six chips that accompanied it could save this travesty. Could the chicken tenders save the day? Well if you enjoy defrosting chicken pieces out of a freezer and serving them with sour coleslaw, then you're in luck!

Avoid this like the plague!

• Visited September 2013
PeterBDunedin, Owner at Huntsman Steakhouse, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.

As always I am surprised when customers who are not satisfied do not take the opportunity to raise their concerns at the time. I personally cooked your meal and during your meal I cam to your table to ask if everything was ok and was told by your whole party that it was.

The steak and kidney was clearly advertised as a lunch-time $10 special of Steak and kidney stew served over mashed potatoes.

You did not order a steak meal - you ordered a works burger which is clearly described as being made from ground beef - it certainly has no added oil or butter and is all ground beef

The chicken tenders are crumbed skinned chicken breast that we make and prepare ourselves - again they are exactly as per the menu - we make our own coleslaw and dressing