Out of 9 different B&B and motel establishments in the South Island we have stayed with in the last 9 nights, this was the worst.
This establishment bills itself as a "boutique B&B" in Dunedin and we found it in the AA 2010 Boutique B&B accommodation guide. The only reason I can see for its "boutique" claim is the building (Victorian era) and the attempt by the host to have its decor in keeping with the age of the building. At $120 per night, we found this overpriced and it was definitely NOT the most expensive place we'd stayed in, it is just too expensive for what you get.
The only good thing about this establishment is the host, who is friendly and very helpful with directions and parking vehicles. She has been let down tremendously by the house and her housekeeper.
1. Dogs barking when we entered should have been an early warning. These dogs were confined to the rear of the property and at no stage did we see or smell them. However, they barked constantly after 8am, which was a great annoyance.
2. There was green scum around the bathroom taps, which easily flushed out in chunks to float around the sink. The housekeeping is a problem.
3. The bed was king-sized but clearly created by joining two single beds. That meant a) a seam down the middle of the bed which could clearly be felt and b) the bed sagged in the middle. This was obviously not comfortable. The bedding was old and was not crisp.
4. The walls were thinner than they should have been and the floorboards all creaked. Which meant that any movement by guests in adjoining rooms could be heard. The plumbing is also extremely noisy so toilets flushing or sinks being used could all be heard through the walls.
5. The breakfast is continental only, with most of the condiments in large pots so everyone has to dip into them communally. There were no individual servers for those. Also, breakfast is served from 8am to 10am, although you can ask for it to be served outside that time but that has to be arranged the day before. We turned up at 9am (middle of breakfast period) and there was no fresh coffee, just enough lying burnt at the bottom of the drip flask for 1.5 mugs.
6. There is free internet access and a computer to access it with. However, this cannot be used after 10pm and there is no wireless internet access. The computer also resides in the entrance hallway, so there is no privacy.
7. All bathroom fittings were old in our ensuite, the shower water pressure was not strong and the shower fitting very awkward. The shower stall was also very small. There was no curtain across the window in the bathroom, although the glass was frosted.
8. The establishment is not only on a main road but it is also beset by very noisy students on all sides. So you also risk having your vehicle vandalised in the carpark (at the front of the Inn, which has no side access for cars), a risk the host herself raised.
In comparison with The Grange in Christchurch (that I have also reviewed), the two establishments are worlds apart (although prices were only $15 apart, more expensive at The Grange). Surely Dunedin can do much better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Character Bed & Breakfast. Friendly, warm & comfortable. Some rooms have Fridge and Microwave. Sky TV in Guest Lounge. Free Wifi/internet, Ensuites, Central Heating, Delicious Continental Breakfast, Great City Location ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Albatross Inn Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.