“Cosy, comfortable and clean”

Albatross Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 59 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Outer Brisbane Australia
“Cosy, comfortable and clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

As an expat Dunedin Kiwi I was returning to my place of birth and was travelling by myself and wanted a quiet central place that wasn't expensive. Since reaching 51 I wasn't up for noisy places where lots of young things hanged out in. Been there and done that. I picked this as it had a great review and I wasn't disappointed.
As it happens I once had piano lessons in the top bay window when I was ten, the white has since been painted and the building once had apartments then later student accommodation.
I was lucky to have a b&b with ensuite, a good size room, comfortable bed, chest of draws and a coat hanger that replaced a wardrobe rather charming, electric blanket which was lovely as it was very cold and I felt it after coming from Brisbane with temps of around 25C .Plenty of blankets, a oil heater and lamp. The ensuite was very roomy had a heater, towel warmer, shampoo/body wash, fresh towels every day, I got two sets nicely on the bed even though it was only myself. A good basin a small antique style cupboard with a large blow dryer inside. The bathroom was cleaned every day and the beds made.
I have worked in 4 & 5 star accommodation one being part of The Leading Hotels Of The World and the standard of cleanliness was as good, better than the public toilets at The Versache Hotel on the Gold Coast in Australia.
It was a home away from home great when traveling on ones own as their is always someone to have a chat to and the lady who runs it was warm and friendly, very welcoming and would have a chat with me at breakfast.
I was able to use internet set up in the large hallway, there was a lounge with TV over looking George Street with tea and coffee and cosy odd pieces of furniture that went with the decor really well being an old place
Breakfast consisted of 3 types of bread all fresh which you toasted yourself, 3 types of cereal,yogurt, jams, vegemite etc. Set on the table were butter dishes with butter in them, beautiful china tea cups with different styles of flowers on them and with silver tea spoons. Glynis would make a fresh pot of tea with about 2-3 tea choices for you to have as many cups as you wanted. There was also fresh home made fruit salad and muffins. The breakfast room had three large tables. Very spacious , beautifully set up with a teapot stand, milk jug and your plates. The lovely muffins looked tempting but after two slices of toast, cereal and home made fruit salad plus two cups of tea I just had no more room.
I will come back with the family, it would suit most people some of the rooms are huge with queen or double beds plus single beds in them.
There was a little noise from traffic but not heavy as Dunedin speed limit is 50ks or 30 mph and a bit of student noise as they were letting their hair down after exams.
As a light sleeper it didn't bother me and neither did the traffic although I was at the back. I live on acreage at home and it is quiet so for those who live in city's you won't notice much plus it is not at an intersection so it is quieter. But keep in mind it is a main street.
It was a home a way from home and great value for the money.
For those that want the perfect place and at a low $$ don't complain this is as good as it gets.
Some tlc is needed here and there due to bad paint jobs from the past but not much. Rome was not built in a day.
The plumbing was a little noisy when others were having a shower but that did not last long and being an old place you expect these things.
Had a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Get a back room if you don't want to hear traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NLANZ-FAMILY
albatrossinn, Owner at Albatross Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
It is always interesting when we get a visit from someone who has a past connection with our house. The stories of previous occupants and activities add to the already interesting history of the property. Thank you for your kind words, look forward to seeing you again if you are back in Dunedin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

The night was dark. The snow got heavier. Travelling North out of Dunedin, we were held up in a long line of traffic that went out of sight. We still had quite a climb before we got to the top of the only route in and out of Dundin, so conditions could only get worse. After 20 minutes with no South bound traffic at all and the line behind us getting longer, we turned round and drove back into Dunedin. No vacancy. No vacancy. Closed for the night. It was getting late. Then I saw a welcoming sign: Albatross Inn, Vacancy. "Do you have a room?" "Certainly, come in out of the cold." The welcome was warm, a hot drink was supplied, the central heating warmed us, we were given lots of sympathy and the room was inviting. As stranded travellers, what more could we want?

Albatross Inn was built as a private residence in 1912. Don't expect plastic and chrome. In its day, it must have been luxurious. Today it is quite impressive with its traditional architecture and sympatheic decor. There are 8 rooms, all with en suites. Our room was a good size with room for a confortable Queen bed, a set of drawers on one side and a cabinet on the other. There was ample room for the armchair by the window. The en suite was clean and spacious. The shower was hot and plentiful. Central heating provided a comfortable level of warmth. This was adjustable, and we turned it down for the night.

Albatross Inn is a bed and breakfast. We had sampled the bed, and in the morning we sampled the breakfast. It was Continental; pleanty of cereals, fruit salad, toast, yoghurt, juices and tea and coffee. We agreed that both bed and breakfast were more than satisfactory.

Often managers forget that the Hospitality Industry is based on hospitality. No so Glynis Rees, the owner manager of Albatross Inn. She was most hospitable, and checked regularly that we had everything we needed for an enjoyable stay. We probably would not have chosen a bed and breakfast, a motel or a hotel would have been more likely. But the sign invited us in, and we are glad we did. In future, bed and breakfast hotels are on our agenda. And it was very reasonably priced, with free internet thrown in!.

Room Tip: Downstairs is better if you have mobility problems. Front rooms might get some street noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
albatrossinn, Owner at Albatross Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your kind words, we enjoyed having you both to stay and especially our chat at breakfast. The weather had taken a turn for the worst, lucky it is not always like that. Bed & Breakfast is not an option that is familair to some travellers but it provides a lovely home like experience for the weary traveller, some extras that are normally charged for are included in the price and you get to relax while your host takes care of the details. We look forward to having you stay again. Glynis
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This whole establishment needs upgrading. Lovely staircase and nice antique furniture though. Oscar the dog cute. The room we had was facing the main street and the noise at night into the wee small hours was hard to take. The bed was uncomfortable but then again my husband is a big tall man and we found the beds all over New Zealand challenging. Breakfast was nice with fresh muffins made by Glynis. In quite a good location. The drive to the Otago Peninsula was lovely but what was supposed to be a three night stay ended up as two. The price for accommodation was reasonable however and Glynis was helpful.

Room Tip: Try not to get the front rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DebL53
Canterbury NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

An older 'character' house, but really nice atmosphere. We had a room at the back, very quiet - the front rooms may get a bit of street noise. Free wifi is a nice bonus, and the breakfasts were an excellent start to the day. Glenis was a very friendly host to have. Would definitely head back here next time in Dunedin.

Room Tip: Back rooms will have no street noise
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

This small inn in Dunedin was convenient to downtown and includes breakfast. The owner was very friendly and helpful to me and to all her guests. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed, TV and nice bathroom ensuite. Parking can be something of a problem,but I found a place on the street. The owner showed me some of the available spaces; just another sign of her friendly helpfulness.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Monteverde
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Albatross proved to be a very convenient base for my visit, located roughly half-way between the central business district (the octagon) in Dunedin, and Otago University where I had business. The inn is run by a very helpful woman and the room was spacious, neat and tidy. Breakfast was delicious too, with typical cold cereal plus toast, fresh local yogurt, fruit, etc. The price seemed a bit high, but very competitive for what seemed to be the going rate during the Rugby World Cup going on at the time

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

This was my first visit to New Zealand. The folks at Albatross Inn immediately made me feel welcome and it was quite similar to feeling at home. I really appreciated the interaction withthe host. I did not feel "here it is contact us if you want anything". Casual conversation enable me to really get to know NZ. She was most helpful with refining my trip through the rest of New Zealand. Guest parking is a bit difficult.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be excellent
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends