The wife and I arrived in Dunedin in the early afternoon to this beautiful B&B in the heart of Dunedin. We arrived a bit later than we expected due to the still-snowy weather in Queenstown (we were traveling during the storm that nearly shut the whole south island down), but were were met by the extremely friendly and helpful manager and his loyal dog, Baron (we missed our pups from back home, so it was great to have a dog to pet!).
Upon checking in, we informed the manager that we had a nature tour booked in the early afternoon and if there was anywhere close by to eat so we could make it back to Brothers in time for our pick-up. He pointed us in the right direction (about a five minute walk to The Octogon) and then said that he would call the tour company and tell them to pick us up in downtown so we didn't have to come back to the hotel! Sure enough, the tour company picked us up right where the manager said they would and we had a great day. Brothers is also within short walking distance to the Speight's Brewery so you don't have to worry about driving after the tour (just stumble back to your room), although the hill back to the hotel is quite steep.
Breakfast was great, coffee and tea were brought out promptly and every request was catered to.
The only minor complaint I had was about the quality of the room. While it was clean and comfortable, it was quite small and fairly plain. We had an excellent view of downtown Dunedin (breathtaking at night) but I guess we expected more since we were on our honeymoon. Please don't take this as we were totally disappointed with our stay, but the room fell slightly below our expectations since were were not on just a normal holiday.
All in all, though, I would stay at Brothers again...the service, location and atmosphere of the hotel more than makes up for what the room lacks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to a special place in Dunedin. Relax in our European style family run Boutique Hotel close to inner city amenities with spectacular views of the City and harbour. Extensive renovations have been done to this former Christian Brothers 1920's stately residence transforming it into elegant heritage accommodation with 15 bedrooms and all with modern tiled en suites. The Brothers offers a mixture of convenience, history, charm, elegance and tranquillity, with the building retaining much of its original grandeur. Unfortunately the Hotel is unsuitable for infants, babies and young children under 16 and can't be accommodated. The Brothers is also quite different from anything else in Dunedin. The intention during the refurbishment was to be sympathetic to the building's history and wherever possible the original character has been retained. As a result most of our rooms are of a size often found in European Cities and maybe considered small by some. If room size is important to you or the prospect of walking 10 minutes uphill from the city centre is a daunting issue then other options maybe more suitable for you . A welcoming drink is offered early evening in the main Guest lounge. Book direct with us for better price and room options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Brothers Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brothers Boutique Hotel Dunedin
- Brothers Boutique Dunedin