“dissapointed”

Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin
Ranked #55 of 63 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2012

After waiting outside in the cold for almost 40 minutes, our greeting was no warmer than the weather. We were told the spa in our room (our main reason for choosing grandview) was broken. No apology was offered for the spa being out of order or being made to wait in the cold. The service continued in this manner for the duration of the stay, causing me to feel uneasy to say the least!
While the room and other facitilies were nice I couldnt relax in the place, I was not at all comfortable using the open plan en suite with just a screen for privacy. I was extremely dissapointed at the service especially after reading so many positive reviews and from speaking to friendly staff prior to my visit, to be honest i would have left after the first day if i could have.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brianhybris
Simonclausen, Owner at Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

We would never leave a guest waiting out side for 40 minutes, and we always try our best to warmly welcome all guests into our home. We have the jet motor in the Colonial Spa Bath being refurbished, this is part of maintenance that has to be done, we offer all guests that are not happy with this either a discount or free upgrade. Our Colonial Spa Room is advertised as open-plan with photos that clearly pointing this out, I’m unsure why this guest booked a room with this clearly advertised.

We go out of our way to give everyone a warm & comfortable stay (which shows in previous reviews) however it’s obvious some people choose not to be happy & look for problems.

Simon Clausen

There are newer reviews for Grandview Bed Breakfast Dunedin

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I'm not really a B&B kind of boy - reminds me of naff holidays in Scarborough and Blackpool as a kid. However, this place was great. After having to put up with a 30-minute grilling by the inept immigration service at Dunedin airport, I wasn't in the jolliest of moods when I arrived. However, the welcome at Grandview and their recommendation that I eat at Speights Brewery soon had me in a much better fettle. Suitably filled, the walk back up the steep hill to the B&B worked off some of the calories, allowing me to rest easy in my room with a view. It was a shame not to get a fry-up the following morning (they are, after all, the only saving grace of most B&Bs) but everything else was spot on - the welcome, the fast (and free) WiFi, the views, the room. Apparently the BBC booked the place out for a month during the Rugby World Cup so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I'd be very happy to return there if ever I'm back in Dunedin.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Wonderful Victorian B and B with a beautiful View of the Dunedin. Walking distance to town center.
Family sits with guests at breakfast and you feel so very welcome in their home.
Very knowledgeable of the area and knew people to contact to make sure their guests saw what they wanted to see. Planned to stay one night and stayed three. Told us about Natures Wonders Naturally which is a working sheep ranch and also a penguin and fur seal sanctuary. What a find!!

Room Tip: The large room upstairs and 180 degree views of the city
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2012

What a lovely place to stay. Run by family, we were welcomed and shown around. The owners not only provided breakfast but joined visitors, eating and chatting - a great way to learn about Dunedin.
Guests were also welcome to cook their own meals in the kitchen and make use of laundry facilities.
We loved our stay so much we extended it!. Many thanks to the owners for a lovely experience. We stayed in February last year, but I wished I had written this sooner.

Room Tip: If you want accommodation that is warm and inviting, then this is a great choice.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The old house was a bit like my childhood home. All wood, large staircase leading to bedrooms upstairs. There was a room set aside for guest to use their computer which I thought was a nice touch. Many antiques made the house feel so comfortable. My room had a king size bed, an old antique dresser and touch lamps, nice in the dark! The view was toward the bay and the house is on the top of the hill. It is only a 10 minute journey down to the CBC. Simon and family were always willing to help and were very knowledgeable about the surrounds. Simon's wife had just given birth to their first child, and their addition in the breakfast room make the place feel like a happy home. A wonderful place to come to at the end of the day.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We only stayed for one night, but wish it could have been longer. A lovely old house, close to town. Simon, Sarah & Trish are wonderful hosts, and couldnt be more helpful and friendly. Simon is a wealth of knowledge about the local area, and about NZ in general.
Our room was large, and very comfortable.
The little touches really make this a special place. The fridge with drinks "for sale",the guests' kitchen, the sewing kit! TV longe!
Great place, would recommend to all couples visiting Dunedin!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We had a 2 week trip around New Zealand and unfortunately only budgeted 1 day for Dunedin as we were running out of time. We drove down from Queenstown and arrived really late, however the Grandview stayed open to let us in after 11pm. Our stay was nice and the owners of this hotel are what made the stay really special. They were extremely friendly even during a short visit. Hotel has a good breakfast spread in the morning and you feel as if you are being welcomed into their home. Beds were comfortable and the only thing that made us feel bad is that arriving late at night the steps made a lot of noise which could wake up the other guests. Bathrooms and rooms were kept very clean. I would stay here again if I ever get a chance to go back to Dunedin. It is less than 10 minutes by car from the city center.

Room Tip: We had the Art Deco room when we stayed. It is close to the shared bathroom which can be good or bad...
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple