“Home away from home”
Review of Kiwis Nest

Kiwis Nest
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Reviewed June 8, 2014

What a great stay, what a great time!After the originally planned 3 day stay, I decided to stay on for further 3 weeks. Wendy is a great host. it felt like a home away from home, what ever requests i came up with wendy helped me out. Not only is Kiwis Nest a nice and tidy hostel, but it has a special atmosphere i havent recieved in many hostels in the last 10 months. everything is close by and town is only a few meters away which makes it easy for people without a car to get and see stuff by foot. The kithen facilities are clean and tidy, and in general the hostel is well set up. It is great to see how much thought, love and care Wendy puts into the hostel and her work there. I loved my stay at Kiwis Nest, it was sad leaving but luckily I only moved a couple of blocks away, so I regularily check on my hostel family with a visit and some lovely chats. Thank you very much for your time and patience, every chat and cheerful word when I was upset, sick or desperate on my job search.
Much love and hugs, it makes me sad knowing I wont be able to just pop in and say hi.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank franziskani
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you so much Fran for your Review it was a real pleasure to have you come & stay with us
We are certainly going to miss you when you go home for good '
Take care & safe travels
Wendy

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I received a warm welcome from Wendy who continued to make me feel as though I was the most important guest throughout my stay and I know every guest felt that way.
Really nice homely atmosphere, warm (even throughout the snow), comfy bed, quiet, great kitchen facilities with plenty of cooking pots and pans, very clean, plus plenty of hot water.
Close to the city center and within walking distance to the hospital.
Very reasonably priced making it a fantastic stay in the lovely Dunedin.
Plenty to do close by.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank barbellison2014
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Barbellison2014,

we are really happy to have received your great review!
It is great to hear that people enjoy their time in Dunedin, especially at our place Kiwis Nest.
We try our best to make it as comfortable and nice, especially warm in Winter.

We wish you safe travels and a good time in New Zealand,
hoping to see you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,
Wendy and the Kiwis Nest team

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We spent 3 weeks in the South Island and stayed here our last night. We basically just slept here but Kiwis' Nest had the most features of any of the BBHs we stayed. Our room had a TV, a small refrigerator (with several small milk containers), hot water pot, tea and coffee and the wifi was fast and free. We only used (and saw) a small kitchen right by our room but they mentioned at least two other kitchens. The manager was very helpful. I think there were only 3 dedicated parking spots but we got a parking place on the street right next to the house. They only had one washer and dryer but it was available when we needed it and I believe I saw a sign that they had clothes lines. There were a bunch of restaurants just a few blocks away. We ended up having a great dinner at the Reef Steak and Seafood.

It's a BBH, not a 4 star hotel, but we had a clean, quiet, comfortable room with some extra little touches other BBHs didn't have.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wendy B, Manager at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear mdod,

Thank You very much for your kind words, it was very much appreciated.

We wish you safe travels and hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards
Wendy

Reviewed March 17, 2014

This hostel is right in the city centre so walking to restaurants, shopping etc very convenient. Our Room had an ensuite was clean and had a fridge , but there was also a communal lounge and kitchen for cooking if required. Best part of the place was Jacqui who was so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for her. Every hotel should have a "Jacqui".

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kezzyjean
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed here a few nights during a trip down from Nelson. I found the location very good- it was a short enough walk to town to easily see sights such as the Train Station, and Octagon (at a guess, over 1kms but less than 2kms) and also close enough to walk and find a great deal of variety for eating out. We didn't actually use the kitchens but it looked like they were well equipped. There were limited parking spots, but it was easy enough to find a free parking spot in the evening just up the road from the hostel to leave the car at. We stayed in a twin room with no ensuite, it was large and comfortable- surprisingly warm for a kiwi hostel from my other past experiences. You could here a bit from the room next door but beds were comfy and I still got a pretty good sleep. There was a single ladies and mens separate washroom and shower quite close to the room; but I never had a problem with having to wait for others. Wifi was free. There was a also a computer that one could use if you didn't have a device with you. I would definitely stay here if I was to visit Dunedin again- for location and value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Jeremy H, Reception /Housekeeper at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for your very nice review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
May you continue to have favourable stays in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Kiwis Nest for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a cross between hotel and hostel with large rooms, good facilities but no ensuites. The kitchens were kept spotless with tea towels being changed so regularly. The showers were ok. Staff were pleasant and happy to help. And all this for cheaper than a lot of hostels. We loved it.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suissegirl
Jeremy H, Reception /Housekeeper at Kiwis Nest, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you very much for the lovely review. We appreciate your comments. We must have been out of ensuite rooms during your stay, because we do have rooms with ensuites.

Thank you again and may your travels be as nice.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Over the last few years, I have stayed at Kiwis Nest several times, including three times of up to a week each in 2013.
The staff are friendly, very efficient and considerate, and the accommodation is very comfortable as well as well priced. There is a huge welcoming wood burning fire in the passageway that heats the house, well equipped kitchens and laundry, and it is close to everything I need.
It is really my Home away from Home.

Room Tip: Great range of rooms. Just tell the staff what you need.