“Good value”

Ranked #45 of 61 Hotels in Dunedin
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good value”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed four nights over Easter weekend and really enjoyed the experience. Although an older hotel it was very clean and comfortable, reasonably priced with friendly and helpful staff. Ideally located close to the Octagon within easy walking distance of the Meridianbe back. Mall. Comfortable bed and a great shower and for a trip back in time, use the quaint lift! We loved it and will return

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ParkRegisDunedin, General Manager at Wains Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin.
I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Easter break with us and had such a comfortable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Sally O’Connor,
Hotel Manager - Park Regis Dunedin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We turned up to check in and the foyer was very glamorous indeed and immediately had high hopes of a quality stay, but this wasn't to be. The staff member at reception was a very friendly lady. We were then told that we had to pay 10 bucks for parking and it was around the block amongst a run down backpackers with an underground bar and graffiti. Didn't leave us with much peace of mind for our cars security (open car park as we never saw the gate down even though we were given a key for it). We then went up to our room. The elevator is an old retro one where you have to do the doors yourself (which I rather liked). The room was a bit of a let down. Minimal natural light was the major thing (just two little fire exit windows above head height which was a view of a backs of the buildings). The beds were a tad firm for my liking, but that could be just my preference. I also found the bed a tad small but I'm nearly two metres tall so every bed feels that way. In all it just felt tacky. No mini bar, or little touches like a travellers sewing kit etc. Looked and felt like a factory rather than a hotel. I paid $255 for a two night stay and for that kind of money I expected a wee bit more to be honest. The biggest thing is that both me and my partner came back from dinner and found that our bags had seemed to have been rummaged through a fair bit (things not left where we had left them and not in the same order). I couldn't help but feel that I was glad I left no valuables in the room and there was no need for anyone to be in our room as they didn't clean the room during this time. This would be a one star rating but both myself and my partner were given complimentary breakfasts because I work in the tourism industry which was a nice gesture. Overall, get your act together park regis. Didn't get my money's worth.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ParkRegisDunedin, General Manager at Wains Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin

On the upside I was pleased to note that you liked the feel of our lobby, enjoyed the old manual elevator and thought that the staff were very friendly- making our guests feel welcome is of the utmost importance to us. I am glad that you furthermore appreciated the complimentary breakfast for two people that we included both mornings of your stay. I am sorry for the disappointment you felt regarding your room. We have seven different room categories in a variety of shapes and sizes and the reception team are more than happy to change our guests’ allocated rooms to suit their requirements upon availability any time of the day or night.
I was quite disturbed to hear about your concerns regarding your luggage but do wish that you had reported this during your stay and am actually most surprised that you would not. We could then have followed up immediately and hopefully reassured you with a read of your lock as I we never experienced anything going missing from a guest’s room at any stage since the hotel was reopened in 2005.

Nonetheless, please do contact me direct if you would like to investigate this matter further.

Thanks again.

Sally O’Connor, Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Dunedin hotels

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed 2 nights at the Park Regis Dunedin in New Zealand. The room was spacious with a lot of natural light. The building is a historical one and has a lot of character. Close to the hotel is an area known as The Octagon, where you can find cafes, restaurants, bars and some convenience stores. Getting to the bay area is a 10min walk and it is well worth going.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin

It sounds like your stay with us ticked all of the right boxes- I am delighted that you not only enjoyed the old building but felt at home in your light and spacious room and appreciated our proximity to everything that a leisure visitor to Dunedin could hope for.
We hope to welcome you back again soon on your next visit to our lovely city.

Durham
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Firstly our room bore no resemblance to any of the photographs on the website at all. Our room was very small, very dated and gloomy perhaps due to the fire escape directly outside our window. However the bed was clean and comfortable. We did not eat in the hotel.
The hotel is situated on the Main Street and is architecturally attractive. It was difficult to park on the Main Street so I waited in our hire car while my husband went to reception to start our check in procedure. He was asked at reception if we would like to use their secure car park for an additional $10 charge. After agreeing to this we were given a sheet paper with a black and white photograph showing the car park entrance.
We drove round the back of the hotel and up a side road until we found a very narrow opening (next to the backpackers hostel on the photograph ) through which we had to drive.
We entered a small litter- strewn underground car park in which there were discarded children's bicycles and other junk - it really was most bizarre! We parked and expected to be able to enter the hotel, however after hauling our cases up a flight of concrete steps we found that we were nowhere near the hotel at all. Our friends who were in their own car also found themselves in the same car park and were incredulous that the hotel had the audacity to make a charge to park in this dump.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin

Your feedback regarding the car park has proved to be very constructive for us. Unfortunately due to the central location of the hotel we do not have the capacity for parking that is directly on site which is why we lease several car parks in s secure facility around the corner. It is very safe however accessible 24 hours with the key that we give our guests on check in. The centrality of this and resulting cost to the hotel does mean that there is a small charge per 24 hours which we pass on to our guests. I have addressed your concerns regarding the maintenance of this space on to those parties responsible for its upkeep and am pleased to report that this has now been acted upon. I apologise however if the reception staff did not make it adequately clear that the car park is not directly joined to the hotel when they explained its location to you.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Looks nice on the outside, rooms just basic but they are clean. Bits of paint peeling off hear & there. Rooms look out onto the Main Street, we stayed on a Saturday night so of course we could hear everything, loud cars, music etc.
ok for just an overnight stay, I wouldn't recommend & probably would try somewhere else next time I need to stay in Dunedin.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay enough to recommend it to others however I am happy to note that you found the building to be attractive and the rooms clean. It is unfortunate that you were disturbed by street noise on the Saturday that you stayed and although it seems you would not be inclined to stay at the hotel on your next visit to Dunedin, if you do change your mind, please contact us in advance so that we can allocate you one of our many very quiet rooms that are not situated overlooking a main road. Thanks again.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This hotel is just lovely. The room was so comfortable - the shower heaven! ie great pressure! We stayed for 3 nights and really didn't want to leave. The only thing was the pen didn't work :-) It is walking distance to the Octagon, Toitu Settlers Museum, Cadburys, Railway.... A great stay, great value, and thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: We were happy on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ParkRegisDunedin, General Manager at Wains Hotel Dunedin, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin.

I am glad to hear that each morning of your stay started on a positive note- a great shower can really set your mood for the day! Thank you so much for your kind comments about our rates, location and the comfort of our rooms. It is fantastic to hear that you had such a lovely time. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My partner and I recently stayed at the Park Regis in Dunedin and thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the old fashioned look of the building- especially in the reception area- as it made the hotel quaint and cosy. Our room was clean and of a good size, and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. As we hadn't been to Dunedin before and naturally had a lot of questions the receptionist gave us some great dining tips and suggestions for things to do. And because the hotel is so close to the octagon nearly everything we did was in walking distance! Unfortunately it did rain most of the time we were in Dunedin, but I suppose you can't have it all!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Park Regis Dunedin.

It is excellent to hear that you liked the boutique look and feel of the hotel- it is certainly a point of differentiation from others in the area. I am proud to hear that our staff were warm and welcoming and equipped you with all the knowledge you needed to enjoy all the wonders of Dunedin- many of which are indeed on our doorstep. Apologies for the weather- despite some perceptions it is often beautiful and sunny here, fingers crossed it will be when you come to stay again!