“Absolutely Delightful”

Ranked #14 of 39 Specialty Lodging in Dunedin
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Absolutely Delightful”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Everywhere I usually stay in Dunedin was booked out and was therefore "forced" into seeking accommodation with a higher price tag than I usually do. Given this, I then expected more than what I usually receive, and I was not at all disappointed. In fact, I would very definitely return again, despite a higher than normal (for me) tariff.
Speaking of tariff, however, do check very carefully what you are being actually charged against what the motel is offering. I found the agency through which I booked (on line), had misquoted the actual tariff by 50%, so I spent a great deal more than was expected.
When I first arrived, the roadside sign announced it as an “EconoLodge”. Having stayed in many of these while travelling in the United States, and having no inclination to wish to return to any of them, I was at first ready to be very disappointed. I was very pleased to find this one an exception.
Upon arrival, the receptionist was very helpful and informative, and even accompanied me to the room to ensure everything was in order before leaving me to stand in awe at the room.
Despite the expense, the motel is absolute value for money, particularly if you get an upstairs spa studio.
The room (which is actually a series of rooms) was very well furnished with a leather lounge suite (all recliners), very stylish table and chairs, mobile television set and queen size bed (amongst other items). Adding to the unique atmosphere was a loft bedroom (a first (and wonderful) experience for me). The unit also had a balcony, as well as a separate bathroom and toilet. The bathroom (which is separated from the toilet has an enormous spa bath, from which you can soak and watch television at the same time. Now that (for me anyway) is luxury.
The Guest Information booklet is also VERY informative.
There is a 24 hour general supplies shop right across the road, but Dunedin’s main shopping centre is a mere 10 minutes’ walk away, where retail outlets and restaurants abound. It may take a great deal longer, therefore, than ten minutes to reach the city centre given the many diversions you are likely to make.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs spa studio.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Khon Kaen, Thailand
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I came here arriving at 10pm and I went to the reception, We take what they've got so I took a studio unit suitable for Family 4-5 ppl, There is 2 bed room in my unit, 1st room with a queen size bed and a second room with 3 singles bed, in the living area there is a 2 sofa, and a small tv , nice kitchen all of this only for 140$

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed a single night with my wife. The room was very spacious with a kitchenette and clean bathroom. The walk into Dunedin is a quick 10 mins, overall can't complain about anything, very comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Comfort Inn Alcala was a good value for the price paid. It had a kitchenette and they provided an ample supply of coffee, milk and even a small packet of cookies each day. Gary and another employee were very helpful in teaching me how to work the washer, which was free of charge ( just have detergent)
It is dated but a much better experience than the Quality motel next door.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Bremerton, WA
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We were traveling NZ with another couple for 23 days. When we got to this motel, we checked in and were told that we'd be staying in the front side of a two apartment house about 2-3 miles away. That was good because we didn't like the looks of the motel at all---old and rundown. We found it on a little alley near a local college campus in Dunedin. We had a large living room with dining room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms and batroom upstairs. It was relatively quiet and comfortable, but a little funky with stained carpet and old feeling. Entry was through sliding glass doors in the front, but it also had a back door. It served our purposes well, but I probably wouldn't stay there again. And of course we got free milk for our morning coffee or cereal (complements of every motel in NZ).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed March 10, 2011

As a rule I usually have an its ok attitude but this hotel was by far the worst I have ever stayed in.The room had an overpowering smell of strong baby powder . The kitchen was filthy .the microwave had an inch of grim ontop of it .The bathroom was in very poor condition.If this does not convince you before you hand over your cash ask to see the guests laundry near the main office its an eye opener.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MrGreening
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed one night, 8/2/11 - booked on line via Qantas - not modern but very good.
I left some clean clothing in the wardrobe, emailed reception advising unable to return and would they be kind enough to donate to a local charity. Response was prompt and only too pleased to assist.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo