“Nice stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Scenic Hotel Southern Cross
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Dunedin
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for a thee days conference.
Location of the hotel is quite good within 5 minutes walk to the octagon. Toiletries are nz made organic products which is really good.
A little drawback is that there is no central air conditioning - just a fan heater. The bathroom needs better ventilation.
Overall the hotel is value for the money.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay whilst here for your conference. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Adrian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Always stay here when I am in Dunedin. It's perfect. Location is great, big rooms, but the best thing of all? Quite simply the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in a hotel ... ! Gorgeous. I haven't eaten there and so I can't comment on that. One grumble ... can we get some radio channels on the TV. Recommended.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing your review and thank you for staying with us once again. Despite getting many comments about how comfortable our beds are, it is still wonderful to hear.
I promise to investigate further the possibility of radio channels through our televisions. I suspect that we only have a certain number of channels to play with so by adding radio stations we will lose television channels. I will speak to our Sky Television representative to see what our options are.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Ideal hotel for a business trip in terms of central location, near to a choice of local bars and restaurants. Friendly and professional service, excellent cooked breakfast and comfortable, quiet room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you found us the ideal choice for your business trip and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This Hotel specialises in tour groups so there is always chaos in the reception area. Rooms are OK and it is just a three star Hotel in a town. There is a valet car parking services which is helpful. Breakfasts were boring so we went out.

Room Tip: I think that higher up is preferable and not on the road side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very for your review. I am sorry that you found the Reception area chaotic with our Tour business. This should not be the case as we would normally expect to be able to look after our Tour business as well as our other guests without compromising our standards. Our systems must have fallen down on this occasion and rest assured I will investigate further to ensure that this does not happen again.
I am glad that you found our central city location excellent and our valet parking service useful.
Many thanks for staying with us and I hope to see you again some time.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my boss when down for work over night. Great room, breakfast & staff. Great location as can walk everywhere from hotel = to restaurants and to our work which was nice to be able to do. I would say this is one of the better hotels in Dunedin as its such a small city & tends to be bit outdated when it comes to having business travellers to the city. This hotel seemed better deco & service so I would recommend it over other ones.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. I am extremely pleased that you had a pleasant stay and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Dunedin.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Friendly staff, comfy bed and nice restaurant. Definately go for the cooked breakfast - bacon / mushrooms / eggs, awesome!
Only minor negative is that the restaurant is a little chilly in the evening - would recommend an additional layer while dining...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you found the staff friendly, the bed comfortable and an awesome breakfast. Sorry about the temperature of the restaurant for your evening meal. I suspect that the air conditioning was turned down too low and I will pass on this comment to the Food and Beverage Team to ensure that this is monitored more closely.

I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

With best wishes

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed for 3 days in March during double header Rugby weekend, hotel was a max capacity but awesome atmosphere, The Warriors stayed as well making the stay all the more special. Cool little bar in the hotel as well as casino where we had a great time and a good meal. Beds were very comfortable, some street noise at night but the town was packed so was to be expected I guess. Staff were very helpfull. we would definately stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest

I was very pleased to read about how you enjoyed your stay with us when the Warriors were in town. They seemed to be travelling with a lot of their fans and I hear there was a great atmosphere at the game. There was certainly a great atmosphere here, as you mentioned, and I am delighted that our high standards were maintained despite being so busy.

Thank you for writing your review and thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again some day.