All reviews breakfast buffet car park comfortable bed per day hotel restaurant nice room new zealand speights brewery easy walk free wifi great place to stay stayed for one night railway station south island valet parking central city comfortable stay
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Hotel location is very good, just a short walk to the centre on Dunedin and just around the corner to the Speoghts brewery. The restuarants located in the hotel are very good. Rooms have plenty of rooms and would have some of the most comfitable beds I've sleeped in.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay. You make reference to our wonderful beds which are covered by a Goose Feather bed topper. They certainly do contribute to a great night's sleep.
Thank you for staying with us and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in March for business. I was traveling with 2 other colleagues and we all booked in on the same day. There is 2 parts to this hotel which one part is old and the newer part is accessed by the lifts at Reception lobby. I was put in the older part and the other 2 people were placed in the newer part. I was told that both areas were of the same standard - this is absolutely incorrect. The old part is older and the rooms are a tad depressing.
My first room had old blood on the walls next to the toilet. The cleaner came up and was shocked by this. The second room you had to sit on the bed sideways to look at the TV and had an old smell to it.
It wasn't until I went to reception to complain that they put me into the newer part of the hotel. This was far better than the older part of the hotel and was cleaner. The room was much brighter. I cannot understand as to why we were not put into the same area to start with. I initially had 2 of the rooms booked under my name and this was changed at check in and I was given a room in the old part!
Overall the rooms need a real good going over from the cleaners. They need to look behind doors and under sinks!
There appears to be no air conditioning in the hotels which is fairly poor for the money that they charge. I slept with the widow open but horrid cooking smells started to filter in around 5am.
The night prior to checking out I asked reception if I was being charged more for my room and was told that I was upgraded free of charge. At check out they tried to charge me an extra $150.
I have stayed in many hotels around NZ and the world and I would only rate this hotel 3.5stars. Disappointed - Yes. Would I stay again - not sure. Some of the staff were very friendly.

Room tip: Request the newer part of the hotel. Request to be on the left hand side of the corridor that you enter into from the lift. These rooms are quieter and you can fully open your window.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that you were unhappy with your initial room - I will investigate why you were separated from your colleagues as we normally try and keep small groups in a similar part of the hotel. The cleanliness of your room also needs investigating - I must apologise for this. All rooms are double checked for cleanliness by supervisors before being released but somehow your room must have slipped through the net. I was glad that we were able to move you into the same wing of the hotel as your colleagues and it sounds as though we may have given you a complimentary upgrade. I can quite understand how an error with your bill would have only added to your frustration. All of these issues will be addressed and the necessary action will be taken to ensure that standards are returned to their normally high level.
Many thanks once again for your feedback and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here for one night when I arrived into Dunedin in early February and again the night before I was due to fly home. It was clean and comfortable, very handy to the town centre and the train station. Wouldn't have a problem staying here again.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Keri T
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for staying with us (twice) whilst on your trip to New Zealand. It is great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and hope to be able to welcome you back to Dunedin sometime in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here as part of a tour of New Zealand and Australia. What a wonderful hotel!! It is beautifully done, with fine linens and a boutique flavor, all first class. The staff was wonderful and the whole place was immaculate. I would highly recommend this hotel and feel it was one of the best i have stayed in.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It is always wonderful to hear that our guests have had a great stay and for you to say that the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross was one of the best you have stayed in is high praise indeed. Thank you. I hope that you continue to enjoy your tour of New Zealand and have a safe trip home.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great service, great room, everything made for a fantastic night....
The staff at the hotel were very accommodating and went out of their way to ensure that everything went smoothly and we left with smiles on our faces.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
adrian c, Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and hope to see you again soon.

With best wishes